Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pill to completely stop your period? watch

I'm not on any kind of contraceptive pill at the moment as I'm not sexually active but I just heard about a pill that can completely stop your period and was wondering if anyone else is on it or if you know the name?

My periods are pretty regular (within like 2-3 days of being due) and are only heavy for the first 2 days then it stays light for the rest. The pain can be bad but if I take pain killers it makes it manageable. I'm going away for a few months at the end of May and will be doing a lot of activities/water sports that frankly I don't want the hassle of my period for. Is this reason enough to ask to go on the pill? If so do you just make an appointment at a sexual health clinic and ask for it? Is it free?

ReputationRep:
    Don't know where you've heard that there's a pill that completely stops periods for the rest of your life? That would pretty much deem you infertile.

If you go on any contraceptive pill, there is the option of taking it continuously without a break (usually you take it for 3 weeks, then stop for a week and during this week you'll get a period), so in this case you could go for months without bleeding if you continue to take the pill, but no one pill will stop you from getting periods.

Either that or you've heard of the implant, a small device that gets implanted into your arm and it like constantly secretes hormones to act as contraception. You don't get periods with that and can get it taken out anytime you like, though for what you're looking for the pill sounds better? Has less side effects...

And yes, it's free, and you can get it at your GP or sexual health clinic.

P

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes doctors will prescribe a tablet called Norethisterone. It can be used to delay having a period, as well as other uses.
    However personally I wouldnt advise it! I have had nothing but problems since using it - and havent actually had a period for nearly two years now, not good! I guess everybody is different, why dont you talk to your doctor? Thinking about it now it would have been easier to have had a period than to have messed with my body/ cycle/ hormones!
    Hope this helps a bit! x

(Original post by pauline_lg)
    Don't know where you've heard that there's a pill that completely stops periods for the rest of your life? That would pretty much deem you infertile.

If you go on any contraceptive pill, there is the option of taking it continuously without a break (usually you take it for 3 weeks, then stop for a week and during this week you'll get a period), so in this case you could go for months without bleeding if you continue to take the pill, but no one pill will stop you from getting periods.

Either that or you've heard of the implant, a small device that gets implanted into your arm and it like constantly secretes hormones to act as contraception. You don't get periods with that and can get it taken out anytime you like, though for what you're looking for the pill sounds better? Has less side effects...

P
    Sorry didn't make myself clear. The pill I meant you take it once a day and it's safe to take all of the time, then just come off it when you want your period (in x many years).

I know you can run two packs of pills together but I thought this wasn't recommended? I'd literally be doing that all of the time and never having the break.

(Original post by LittleGee)
    Sometimes doctors will prescribe a tablet called Norethisterone. It can be used to delay having a period, as well as other uses.
    However personally I wouldnt advise it! I have had nothing but problems since using it - and havent actually had a period for nearly two years now, not good! I guess everybody is different, why dont you talk to your doctor? Thinking about it now it would have been easier to have had a period than to have messed with my body/ cycle/ hormones!
    Hope this helps a bit! x
    Thanks for your post, I am unsure about messing with my body but so many people do it I think I just need to find one that suits I don't think I would want the delay one either but that is useful if someone is on holiday for just a week or two.

ReputationRep:
    With the pill, you can never be sure what the effects will be - it may stop them totally, or you may bleed non-stop - it's just trial and error to see what works for you with the other side effects as well. You should consider these if you want to go on the pill purely to stop your period - there is possible weight gain, headaches, mood swings...the list goes on.

ReputationRep:
    On the combined pill, you can run packs together, but I'd advise that you only run 3 together, then take a break. Your body NEEDS to have periods.

On the progesterone-only pill (POP), you will sometimes stop having periods (I haven't had one since I started taking it), but everyone responds differently - some people I know have bleed or had spotting for 6+ months, and they eventually stopped taking it because it was annoying them so much.
    The implant can have the same effect as the POP.

Go talk to your doctor, basically. If you just want to delay your period for a few days until you get back from holiday, they'll be able to help you out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Sorry didn't make myself clear. The pill I meant you take it once a day and it's safe to take all of the time, then just come off it when you want your period (in x many years).

I know you can run two packs of pills together but I thought this wasn't recommended? I'd literally be doing that all of the time and never having the break.
    Never heard of this being a problem really? Sometimes if you go months without a break you feel bloated and feel like you want a relief by coming off it for a week, but i've never heard it being particularly advised against? Probably slightly increases the risks associated, like heart problems, DVT etc, but certainly won't have an effect on fertility etc. Depends what you're worried about really!

ReputationRep:

I'm not sure if it's not recommended as such... because if you miss a pill and there's less than 7 pills in the pack, you have to run straight onto the next pack in order to be protected again after 7 days so I don't think running packs together would be much of a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pauline_lg)

P
    Just to say, the implant does not always completely stop your period - it's different for different people. It also has the same side effects as the pill.

ReputationRep:
    i think that the pill youre on about is micronor - the mini pill

you take it everyday, dont have breaks and it can sometimes stop periods altogether. i know people that are on it and still get periods though so i guess it just depends on you.

I'm not on any kind of contraceptive pill at the moment as I'm not sexually active but I just heard about a pill that can completely stop your period and was wondering if anyone else is on it or if you know the name?

My periods are pretty regular (within like 2-3 days of being due) and are only heavy for the first 2 days then it stays light for the rest. The pain can be bad but if I take pain killers it makes it manageable. I'm going away for a few months at the end of May and will be doing a lot of activities/water sports that frankly I don't want the hassle of my period for. Is this reason enough to ask to go on the pill? If so do you just make an appointment at a sexual health clinic and ask for it? Is it free?
    im on cerazette, which is a type of mini pill.
    i take one every day, no breaks, so no withdrawal bleed.
    i was told that for a lot of women, it does completely stop their periods whilst they're on it...and i guess it has for me, i just spot constantly!
    which is annoying, but it is very light, and only during the day, so it doesnt really prohibit sex as such.

i have only been on it for 3 months though, and i hear it can take a while for your body to get used to it, so im not too worried, in time i think theyll disappear....but as for you wanting your period to be gone in time for a holiday, quite unlikely on the mini pill. you probably are better just doublepacking the combined pill (you cant do this too often though!)

hope this helps xxx

ReputationRep:
    I'm male and heard for that kind of pill, but suggest to not use it!!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.