Turn on thread page Beta

I know the ONE THING that will give ANYONE all the confidence in the world watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have seeeen the light... :innocent:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielleT192)
    Well your title said that this will help ANYONE and now you're saying that if this doesn't boost people's confidence then they could find it elsewhere. A clear contradiction.

And depression affects your confidence so plays a big part in how people take to receiving compliments, likewise with those who are self concious, also interlinks with people unable to accept compliments even if it is genuine because they might undervalue themselves, so it is an important aspect.

Attention off of the opposite sex is nice or even from the same sex but it might not work for those stated above.
    How the hell is that a clear contradiction?

Yes it can help anyone (numerous people have even come into this thread and said things like 'thats obvious' or 'tell us something we dont know' etc). BUT there are other ways of getting confidence. i didnt say there werent other ways of gaining confidence. what the hell is hard to understand about that?

fair enough with the depressive and self concious people. however, after months of receiving attention, they must be intelligent enough to think 'hmmm maybe i am actually hot and people desire me'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielleT192)
    I know. I think something in the long-term would need to be altered to boost your confidence, not some one off attention or even with someone in a relationship. You need something that'll make you feel better in the long run, like altering your lifestyle etc. I agree it does help when you hear that someone finds you attractive, but it's how you value yourself that matters.
    who said one off attention? i said lots of attention i.e. constant attention. if hot girls were all over a guy in a bar, for instance (and this guy was not famous or very rich), that would make ANY guy gain MASSIVELY in confidence, without a shadow of a doubt.

ReputationRep:
    You assume that confidence correlates with superficial compliments on superficial appearances.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you've changed my life.
    Did you know that if people give you lots of money you can buy things?
    Just thought I should share that equally shocking revelation with you...or maybe I should make my own thread/ebook/subscription-service.

Aimed at people who have lived their whole lives in solitary isolation, or are retarded, of course...
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    **** you're right.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm yes I think I agree. People on this site dont like hearing stuff like this (or think its all in a persons mind) but I do get alot of attention from guys, even good looking ones, but the problem is I'm not attracted to any of them. I have extremely specific taste, very few people are my ideal, so at first I was going to disagree with the OP as I do get alot of attention from guys yet I'm still very depressed and lacking in confidence. Yet I think I come into agreement when I think about if all the guys I liked were genuinely interested in me back then I probably would have improved self esteem and be happier.

ReputationRep:
    Oh cool, so all one needs to do to be attractive (and then confident) is grow a new face? Sounds simple enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robotwars)
    Getting lots of attention from attractive members of the opposite sex (this doesnt count if you are gay by the way).

anyone who lacks confidence or is depressed, if they get genuine attention from attractive members of the opposite sex, i can guarantee that ANYONE will stop lacking confidence and stop being depressed. if anything, they will become one of the most confident and happiest people out there.

who agrees?
    I'd say it probably counts even if you are gay.
    Although I wouldn't say it would give a person all the confidence in the world; it might make them confident with regards to their initial attractiveness, but not necessarily with regards to their other features.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.