Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Here's a modest proposal - how about enforcing the corporate tax rules which we already have properly?

e.g. vodaphone which dodged £6bn http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/ar...2&in_page_id=2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangoh)
    -rep
    going off topic, much?
    A practical suggestion for putting some much needed money in the exchequer OT?

Suggest you make up your mind if you're trying to fix the national debt or just punish the poor.

You never did answer my question @15:18... how totally unexpected :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Well, the very fact that it is front line public services, that are mostly used by the poorer in society, that are taking the biggest hits says it all.

The MP's are still earning £65k, with their expenses rules just being relaxed.
    The bankers are still getting extortionate bonuses.
    The council chiefs and other "fat cat" public sector bosses are still getting paid huge amounts (£200k+ in some cases).

How the hell are we "all in together" when the richests in society will not feel a thing with these cuts?
    Those front line services you talk of are rarely used by the rich. As you say, it is the poor who use them, and surely then they should be chatged for them? You wouldn't suggest someone rich should pay more for food to subsidise the poor, so why in this case?

And those people earn those wages because they are worth it. They make that money through their own hard work, and so I don't understand why they should be taxed.

And its a case of aspiration. The poor can work to become (still inferior) but closer to their superiors in society. Without the rich, the poor would have nothing to look up to when rolling around in their own filth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry.C)
    Those front line services you talk of are rarely used by the rich. As you say, it is the poor who use them, and surely then they should be chatged for them? You wouldn't suggest someone rich should pay more for food to subsidise the poor, so why in this case?

And those people earn those wages because they are worth it. They make that money through their own hard work, and so I don't understand why they should be taxed.

And its a case of aspiration. The poor can work to become (still inferior) but closer to their superiors in society. Without the rich, the poor would have nothing to look up to when rolling around in their own filth.
    Doesn't mean "we are in this together" though does it?
    Clearly, if the cuts affect the poorer the most, then we are not in this together. No where near.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Doesn't mean "we are in this together" though does it?
    Clearly, if the cuts affect the poorer the most, then we are not in this together. No where near.
    Doesn't really answer my points but...

If the rich have been heavily subsidising the poor up until now, this system is very fair for the poor, as they don't have to pay back that money. The poor pay less money for services that they use more, thats the main point. so, in fact the rich are getting the worse deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry.C)
    Doesn't really answer my points but...

If the rich have been heavily subsidising the poor up until now, this system is very fair for the poor, as they don't have to pay back that money. The poor pay less money for services that they use more, thats the main point. so, in fact the rich are getting the worse deal.
    But the points that I made that you replied to were about whether we are "all in this together" or not. Nothing to do with fairness.

But in any case, it isn't a case of just the rich subsidising the poor. Its a case of everyone but the poor subsidising the poor. What else do suggest we do? Just let the poor and vulnerable die?
    And I'd argue that the very fact the rich are, well you know, rich, more than makes up for the fact that taxes are not "fair" on them.
    The very fact that they don't have to rely on the public services the poor do is because they are rich.

ReputationRep:
    I think a poll tax would be a great idea. We can have loads of riots and get rid of the government as well, result!

ReputationRep:
    Don't just don't even get me started on this

poll tax is baaaaaaaaaaddddddd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    I think a poll tax would be a great idea. We can have loads of riots and get rid of the government as well, result!
    Never though of this, Im liking the way you think!!
    Do you hate David Cameron as much as I do?? Everytime I see his shiny face I want to punch him!

ReputationRep:
    You obviously didn't live in a Labour borough of London during the last poll tax.

ReputationRep:
    -rep, what's this got to do with it?
    If you had, you'd know.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it would benefit for us?

Think before you post on a 'student forum' smartass.

ReputationRep:
    It's all good and well to say 'We're in it together' when you're living reasonably comfortably whilst poor families, whom are socially trapped, are struggling to put food on the table.

Hey, who cares? If they can't afford to eat, that's their problem for being so poor! /sarcasm

ReputationRep:
    that didn't help ?

confused here
    If you don't know what I'm discussing, you really don't know enough to advocate a return to poll tax.

ReputationRep:
    Economy is down, country is in debt.

I think we should bring back the poll tax to reduce our deficit.

My view: Best idea ever invented, I don't care about the poor so couldn't care less about EMA, benefits etc... BUT I think we are all in it together, poll tax is the only way forward imo.

I understand it never worked before but a lot has changed since then, it's worth another go imo & the idea of *unfair* tax method is so untrue? If your poor, tough its your fault (just my view, please don't rant at me)

Your views?
    So you'd be happy to pay it? Currently students are council tax exempt.

ReputationRep:
    yes I would
    So you've got £10,000 lying around then?

ReputationRep:
    -rep overestimating it, much?
    £600bn government spend
    £60m population

£10k each

No?

ReputationRep:
    Economy is down, country is in debt.

I think we should bring back the poll tax to reduce our deficit.

My view: Best idea ever invented, I don't care about the poor so couldn't care less about EMA, benefits etc... BUT I think we are all in it together, poll tax is the only way forward imo.

I understand it never worked before but a lot has changed since then, it's worth another go imo & the idea of *unfair* tax method is so untrue? If your poor, tough its your fault (just my view, please don't rant at me)

Your views?

Edit: Why all the -rep :confused:
    Can I assume that deleting your post meant you accept that my maths is right and you're not happy to pay £10,000 tax for next year?

Doesn't that kinda break you're thread a little....?

ReputationRep:
    Controversial as it is, I think there were aspects of the poll tax that need revisiting. Council tax is quite high because there are a wide, wide range of people who are exempt and also because it's easy for some groups to avoid (eg the graduates earning good salaries who are flatsharing with a couple of their mates doing PhDs or Masters, and they just don't put their name on the register). So when you have a smaller proportion of the total population who are paying it, the burden on each individual rate payer is higher.

I think its important that everybody faces a share of the burden, fair enough there should be reductions for the less well off but they should still be paying a contribution.

Mrs Thatcher made a big error of judgement with the poll tax, it was the biggest error of judgement of her time in office by far. Her idea was to link poll tax rates with the amount councils spent. She thought this would bring in local accountability, ie if you had a reckless spending Labour council, the locals would say "why have we got such high Poll tax bills, when the people living in a tight spending Tory council have small bills....its the fault of Labour, lets vote Tory!"

But what actually happened, which other Conservative ministers warned Mrs Thatcher would happen but she didn't listen, is the left wing Labour councils who hated her just carried on spending high levels (in fairness most of these were in deprived cities where they had bigger spending commitments anyway due to deprivation), safe in the knowledge that the public associated the Poll Tax with Thatcher and nobody else. So when the bills came in you had the ridiculous situation that people in run down inner cities were paying much higher Poll Tax than well off people in the Tory shires, which only served to deepen peoples hatred of the Conservatives and of Thatcher.

I would look at bringing in a form of Poll Tax as a contribution to subsidise Council Tax. If there was a flat rate compulsory poll tax contribution of £50 a month from everybody, that would mean everybody was paying £600 over a year. Then you can link the rest of the payments to peoples earnings.

ReputationRep:
    One of the biggest problems with the Poll Tax was it was very easy to evade. Loads of people I knew never registered for payment and I think theres still several bilion pounds outstanding.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.