Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangoh)
    how did u get to this figure? It never got fully implemented
    No closer to your figure for the poll tax then?

ReputationRep:
    what other ways can you reduce the deficit :l
    Freeze all welfare payments (including state pension) for two years.
    Raise the state pension age to 66 from April 2012 and to 67 from April 2015.
    Raise basic rate income tax to 22% and freeze the basic and higher tax bands until April 2015.
    Freeze the personal allowance levels for those over 65 and 75 until they come into line with the working age personal allowance.
    Reduce DIfDs budget to 0.05% of GDP.
    Freeze all public sector pay scales with a geographic enhancement until they come into line with the national scale.
    And a range of cuts I cba detailing here.

But i didn't start a thread about it, YOU suggested a poll tax and its YOU who are unwilling to pay under such a system.

I didn't say a poll tax was wrong, I just questioned whether you yourself would pay it and that seemed to change your mind.

ReputationRep:
    Economy is down, country is in debt.

I think we should bring back the poll tax to reduce our deficit.

My view: Best idea ever invented, I don't care about the poor so couldn't care less about EMA, benefits etc... BUT I think we are all in it together, poll tax is the only way forward imo.

I understand it never worked before but a lot has changed since then, it's worth another go imo & the idea of *unfair* tax method is so untrue? If your poor, tough its your fault (just my view, please don't rant at me)

Your views
    Completely disagree for one simple reason: Labour would shove up tax rates by around 500000000% and then say (adopts Labour website-speak).. "This Tory-led government is shoving up local tax. The people won't be fooled by this theatrical stunt, it is the government, not our excellent Labour-run councils, that are putting up tax". They did this with the poll tax last time, and they will again.

ReputationRep:

My view: Best idea ever invented, I don't care about the poor so couldn't care less about EMA, benefits etc... BUT I think we are all in it together, poll tax is the only way forward imo.

I understand it never worked before but a lot has changed since then, it's worth another go imo & the idea of *unfair* tax method is so untrue? If your poor, tough its your fault (just my view, please don't rant at me)

Your views
    Troll chance rating of 97.85%

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure on top of everything else, people would love that!

ReputationRep:
    thanks, glad u agree but do u think there will be anyone against it?
    Well would you pay it?

ReputationRep:

Your views
    My view:

We need to bring back capital punishment so people, like you, who are inconsiderate of others' financial situations can be hung, drawn and quartered.

ReputationRep:
    Thread has been answered & thanks for your help.
    But you still haven't answered me if you're in a position to pay the £10k tax that you think is such a good idea...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.