The Student Room Group

No dogs! No straights! And no white students!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DJkG.1

It was a joke, sorry! :p:

Anybody who knows my posting history will recognize that instantly, don't worry. Sorry it wasn't so clear to everyone!

okay, glad to hear it. :smile: i kinda had a feeling it was a joke, but i wanted to call you out just in case.
It's not like it would be difficult to find a better way to do it.

If you want a member of staff that represents a certain background...you make it one of the selection criteria that they have an understanding of that background.

Want a coppa that understands gay issues? Put it in the criteria that they have experience/understanding of them.

Want a muslim coppa? Put it in the criteria that they have experience/understanding of muslim issues.

Want a poor white kid coppa? Put it in the criteria that they have experience/understanding of their issues.

That way, you encourage applicants from those backgrounds but still make it possible for others to apply if they happen to have picked the same knowledge up second hand.
Reply 22
Original post by Mithra
Ditto the foreign office thing. I've got no problem at all with them having 'diversity' placements or whatever the hell they want to call them but I seriously do not understand how they can be allowed to only offer those? Surely that would be legally challengable if someone could be bothered..

They should be. Europeans tend to be pretty individualistic though and don't protest about this blatant race discrimination.
Original post by mangoh

Really hard, we are making our first pot under timed conditions next week.

Had to quote that, sorry :teehee:
Reply 24
Original post by Mithra
Ditto the foreign office thing. I've got no problem at all with them having 'diversity' placements or whatever the hell they want to call them but I seriously do not understand how they can be allowed to only offer those? Surely that would be legally challengable if someone could be bothered..

I think there's a specific exemption in law. This is the same reason why political parties have all women shortlists. Which is ridiculous, IMO.

In fact, I'd put it across that because 92% of the population is white, its pretty much on the moeny in terms of proportionality, especially when you consider the social background of the typical applicant.

Its incredibly stupid and patronising to suggest that ethnic minorities need special help.
****ing racists.
Reply 26
Positive discrimination, unfortunately, is not a solution to racism in my opinion. As far as I can see it only furthers it.
They talk about equal opportunities, and doing something like this just takes the biggest step back ever. If I was part of any minority group and I got a job or a place at a uni or whatever the issue happened to be at the time, I'd like to think I got it on merit rather than just to fill a quota.
Original post by humanrights
racist bigot!! knuckle draggers like you need to be an education!

LOL.jpg

Irony at its finest
Original post by Miu-Miu
At least someone is doing something for white working class kids now instead of PhillyPoppa and Tarquinius Poshtwattius......boohoo cry me a river

Except in practice these things go to middle class Asian students and not to, for example, working class white boys, who are the ones least likely to achieve anything in school.

Also, don't a ****ing snob.
Seems you can't get a job nowadays in the public sector if you're a straight, white, working class male. That's me scuppered. :frown:
Reply 31
****ing outrage, how can they discriminate against dogs!
Wait what if I am a gay Jew does that not get me in as I'm white? :frown:
Reply 33
Original post by morecambebay
It's not like it would be difficult to find a better way to do it.

If you want a member of staff that represents a certain background...you make it one of the selection criteria that they have an understanding of that background.

Want a coppa that understands gay issues? Put it in the criteria that they have experience/understanding of them.

Want a muslim coppa? Put it in the criteria that they have experience/understanding of muslim issues.

Want a poor white kid coppa? Put it in the criteria that they have experience/understanding of their issues.

That way, you encourage applicants from those backgrounds but still make it possible for others to apply if they happen to have picked the same knowledge up second hand.

What bigoted rubbish.

Are you telling me that as a straight white male I am incapable of representing or understanding someone from another background?

Do you realise how incredibly patronising these kinds of programs are towards the 'under-represented' sections of the population?

We don't need police/civil servants of every possible demographic imaginable to represent the population, we need the best possible police/civil servants regardless of background. Anything else and we cannot claim to be a meritocracy.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 34
I would just lie.

Acting gay can't be that hard?
Reply 35
DEY terk errr jerrrbbbsssss!!!!
Reply 36
Can people stop saying 'positive discrimination', please? It is the most moronic term I've ever heard.
Original post by humanrights
Margaret Thatcher didn’t need positive discrimination to become prime minister.’

She displyed some of the worst negative discrimination in the latter part of the 20th century. So who cares how she did things

to those who negg'd, you clearly don't know your history if you believe otherwise
(edited 13 years ago)
It's in a lot of industries as well. The area I want to move into...there are work experience schemes [usually council run] but they're only available to ethnic minorities or people with disabilities. The work experience can be vital to getting a job, and can be very difficult to get outside of these schemes. Fair? Not at all.
Reply 39
I don't agree with this, but Dominic Raab is a tool.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending