Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, i can make an awesome shepherds pie, chilli con carne, and basic tomato pasta sauce but im strugglig with bolognese!!

For a basic pasta sauce i just do onions, tinned tomatoes, some veges, dried basil and oregano and its awesome but if i try and make bolognese like that (adding a beef oxo cube as well) it just doesnt taste right!

What am i doing wrong?! :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with it? Maybe it's the Oxo cube, I never make it with any stock or anything and mine always turns out fine. I don't know if i'm just making it my own unique way though :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apassingfeeling)
    What's wrong with it? Maybe it's the Oxo cube, I never make it with any stock or anything and mine always turns out fine. I don't know if i'm just making it my own unique way though :p:
    Whats your recipe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lexi99)
    Whats your recipe?
    Well I use a bit of olive oil, either tinned chopped tomatoes or passata, onions, garlic, a small squeeze of tomato puree, basil or whatever dried herbs I pick out first from my cupboard :p:, and whatever veg I have lying around. And mince (or I sometimes use) and spaghetti of course...

I don't think I use stock cubes but I can't remember :confused: I don't think I do because the passata/chopped tomatoes gives it a saucy kinda feel (*wink*)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apassingfeeling)
    Well I use a bit of olive oil, either tinned chopped tomatoes or passata, onions, garlic, a small squeeze of tomato puree, basil or whatever dried herbs I pick out first from my cupboard :p:, and whatever veg I have lying around. And mince (or I sometimes use) and spaghetti of course...

I don't think I use stock cubes but I can't remember :confused: I don't think I do because the passata/chopped tomatoes gives it a saucy kinda feel (*wink*)
    Yea thats pretty much how i make just a basic pasta sauce so i think I'll try that with the oxo cube and see how it is. Arent the tinned tomatoes really watery by themselves though, thats why i use an oxo cube in chilli con carne?

ReputationRep:
    Yea thats pretty much how i make just a basic pasta sauce so i think I'll try that with the oxo cube and see how it is. Arent the tinned tomatoes really watery by themselves though, thats why i use an oxo cube in chilli con carne?
    To be honest, your "basic pasta sauce" sounds like a generic bolognese, I mean, all you need is the meat, really, or meat-substitute.

I never add stock to my sauce and it always taste amazing. However, you may not have my recipe, as it's mine own. :eviltongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    To be honest, your "basic pasta sauce" sounds like a generic bolognese, I mean, all you need is the meat, really, or meat-substitute.

I never add stock to my sauce and it always taste amazing. However, you may not have my recipe, as it's mine own. :eviltongue:
    Awwww give it

ReputationRep:
    Awwww give it
    Onions, carrots, spinach, soya mince, mushrooms, tinned tomatoes (whole not chopped), tomato purée, mushrooms and then various herbs and spices.

ReputationRep:
    You need red wine.

Also, bacon. Bacon in bolognaise is fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    Brown sauce/worcestershire sauce and bacon are great additions. Letting it simmer for a fair amount of time may also intensify and deepen the flavors?

ReputationRep:
    My personal recipe is somewhat strange and far removed from a traditional bolognese, but tastes better than anything short of an Italian restaurant in my opinion =P

(Serves 4)

-Dice a whole onion and a good sized clove of garlic, fry off in olive oil on a low heat until the onions have cooked through.
    -Add a tablespoon or two of balsamic vinegar, bring up heat and allow to reduce slightly.
    -Add 500g of beef mnce, and bacon lardons if you like, and brown with the onions.
    -Add one tin of chopped tomatoes, one tin of Campbell's condensed tomato soup, a large squeeze of tomato puree, and a dash of balsamic vinegar. Season to taste with salt, pepper, mixed herbs/oregano, and sugar (The sweetness works well to offset the sour note from the balsamic)
    -Reduce heat to a simmer and let the mix reduce down a lot. after about 15 minutes it will move from being the orange colour of the soup to a deep red. The more it reduces, the more concentrated the flavour gets.

A great sauce I really recommend you try, best served over fresh (the stuff you find in the fridges in a supermarket, not the dried stuff) taglietelle cooked in lightly salted water. More pasta than sauce too, it's a great flavour in itself and doesn't need to be drowned in sauce like I've seen in most pubs :l

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks everyone I'll try without an oxo cube and see how it goes

ReputationRep:
    Red Wine!!!!

Can't believe only one person mentioned this.

ReputationRep:
    Well I just use mushrooms, red & green peppers (diced-but not everyone likes to use them in bolognese...apparently it's not traditional :rolleyes:) obviously chopped onions, basil (fresh is best), oregano (dried is fine), tomato puree, chopped/plum tomatoes, red wine & your minced meat/meat substitute.

Reduce this down a fair amount, that way your sauce is flavourful and not watery. Watery sauce is vile.

I make a batch of oregano meat balls just for a bigger punch of flavour and different texture but that's just me.

OH AND DON'T FORGET GARLIC- It's definitely a crime. :pierre:

EDIT: Oh yeah, my Dad uses baked beans to thicken it up...which is a bit weird but still lovely. You can use red lentils if you find your sauce is looking plain and thin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW86)
    Red Wine!!!!

Can't believe only one person mentioned this.
    Yeah I know. I actually have a bottle of wine that I ONLY use for cooking. It is a bottle I've had since xmas and it miraculously hasn't reduced to vinegary hell.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like red wine in my tomato sauces. Not sure why, just don't. White wine is nice in white wine sauces....

ReputationRep:
    So, i can make an awesome shepherds pie, chilli con carne, and basic tomato pasta sauce but im strugglig with bolognese!!

For a basic pasta sauce i just do onions, tinned tomatoes, some veges, dried basil and oregano and its awesome but if i try and make bolognese like that (adding a beef oxo cube as well) it just doesnt taste right!

What am i doing wrong?! :banghead:

You made my mouth water.

ReputationRep:
    If you're using beef mince, brown it off before you start adding liquids to the mix. Also, let it stew out for around about an hour once everything is in, because that always brings the best out of the mince.

ReputationRep:
    Try adding garlic and wine (I personally prefer white but they're both good) at the start. Towards the end try adding a good dollop of tomato puree, a tiny pinch of sugar, a drop of worcestershire sauce and a splash of balsamic vinegar.

Also, the trick to make really nice tomato sauces is to add a reasonable amount of water (fill the empty tomato can 1/2 - 3/4 full of water, you can add stock here if you like) and then cook it slowly for a very long time. I'm not sure exactly what effect this will have on the mince (I've only ever done vegetarian bolognese) but it's the way to a good tomato sauce.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.