Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    so which is better, the alternative vote - basically you vote for the different parties in order of preference - or first past the post - you vote for just one party?
    two questions really. firstly which is better as in fairer? and secondly, which is better in terms of getting the result you want!?
    i think AV is fairer. because if you like a small party, you can vote for them, knowing that if they do badly, your second vote will be taken into consideration. in this way small parties can pick up votes as not considered a "wasted" vote.
    i used to think that first past the post was better because then people are forced to vote for the tories or labour and so you get a clear winner. whereas AV might lead to more coalition governments - leaving us perpetually governed by soggy moderates and possibly meaning that the liberals are always in power as the second party - and i don't like the liberals. but nowadays given i don't anymore much like either of the two big parties and fancy little parties becoming stronger, maybe AV is better.
    conclusion: AV is fairer - and more importantly it is the system that is more likely to get the political results i want!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Personally I prefer FPTP. I don't seem the need for this referendum the new system seems to not be very different.

ReputationRep:
    FPTP for the win.

I do not understand the logic in giving some people more votes than others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    FPTP for the win.

perhaps im just not awake but your post seems contradictory. surely if you wanted everyone to have an equal vote, you would be against fptp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadnessRed)
    perhaps im just not awake but your post seems contradictory. surely if you wanted everyone to have an equal vote, you would be against fptp
    How?
    Everyone gets one, vote, with the same level of power attributed to that vote under FPTP.

The person with the most votes wins.

EDIT: You may have been referring to votes cast on a national scale, but then AV does nothing to aid this either.

ReputationRep:
    FPTP. Don't try and give us AV which is a shoddy replacement. If there is going to be electoral reform give us PR the only worthwhile voting system.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'll be the first one to defend AV then....

It doesn't do anything for proportionality no. But it does go some way to eliminating tactical voting and allows you to vote with your conscience. Preferential systems are also considered good enough to do most internal party elections, candidate selections etc so I don't see the difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will Lucky)
    FPTP. Don't try and give us AV which is a shoddy replacement. If there is going to be electoral reform give us PR the only worthwhile voting system.
    If you want PR, vote yes for AV.

PR is unlikely to come before AV does.

ReputationRep:
    AV is fairer than FPTP, not that it matters.

ReputationRep:
    How?
    Everyone gets one, vote, with the same level of power attributed to that vote under FPTP.

The person with the most votes wins.

EDIT: You may have been referring to votes cast on a national scale, but then AV does nothing to aid this either.
    I read your comment as a standalone comment and my point was based on a national level. That in a safe seat your vote has very little influence, where as in a marginal your vote has considerably more. On a constituency level yes, I agree, all votes are even with fptp. It would work well if there weren't parties and we just voted for the mp we thought would best represent us.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer AV to FPTP.

However, as was said before there are other voting systems which are better, we're just being given the illusion of real choice. At least AV would be a step in the right direction though - not that I see it winning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadnessRed)
    I read your comment as a standalone comment and my point was based on a national level. That in a safe seat your vote has very little influence, where as in a marginal your vote has considerably more. On a constituency level yes, I agree, all votes are even with fptp. It would work well if there weren't parties and we just voted for the mp we thought would best represent us.
    Agreed.

If everyone was Independent, it would make things better I think, but the sheer logistics of that situation would make it infeasible.

Voting for parties means they're able to pre-unify people under the same banner, and there's no separate vote for PM and the cabinet ect.

For AV, it really only changes things in marginal seats as you've said, but on a national level, it would change very little probably. and only make it so that the smaller parties got a few pretty meaningless seats.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really a proper alternative voting system, it's just an half arsed attempt to keep Deputy Prime Minister Nicholas Clegg (for his actual job, that's quite a hyped up title) happy, but even he is unhappy with this AV system.

A true 'alternative' would be porportional representation, which this current proposal isn't, thus I'm staying with FPTP. Also, I'm not exactly a lover of being able to recycle votes tatically.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to see PR.

AV is a joke, why people should be able to recycle their votes is beyond me and for me FPTP is better. But, if it is one step closer to PR I would vote for it.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean, order your votes as "no" then "yes", just in case there's a tie break?

ReputationRep:
    AV is a completely stupid system and won't do anything to increase democratic accountability or reduce tribal voting. All that will happen is that Tory voters will tick Tory, and then every other party except Labour, and Labour voters will tick Labour and then every other party except Tory. It'll make the system worse, not better.

ReputationRep:
    FPTP for the win.

Then you do not understand AV.

ReputationRep:
    I'm left wing and I'm for FPTP. I would feel sickened and ashamed to even put any type of mark next to the likes of the Tories and the BNP.

If my candidate doesn't get in tough tits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tulley11)
    I'm left wing and I'm for FPTP. I would feel sickened and ashamed to even put any type of mark next to the likes of the Tories and the BNP.

If my candidate doesn't get in tough tits.
    Then don't. You get as many or as few ticks as you want.

I'm hoping we might be able to see some Independants in with AV over FPTP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Then you do not understand AV.
    If no single person has the majority of the vote, second votes are counted and added and if still no-one has a majority, we go to third votes and so on and so forth.

I wouldn't vote for anyone else in my constituency than Labour, but someone else might vote Tory and Lib Dem.

Results:
    Tory 20%
    Lib Dem 30%
    Labour 40%
    Others 10%

Now, in this scenario, I effectively have only voted once, whilst people who put second choices, get another vote.

No sale.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.