The Student Room Group

Cambridge Admissions for Internationals

I was thinking of applying to Cambridge this coming year, but I don't know a lot about the requirements for Canadian students.

I am planning on taking the SATs this June.
I'm currently taking AP Language (the other AP [Chemistry] that is offered isn't relevant to what I want to study, Economics). And I am planning to take AP Calculus and AP Studies in Literature next year (the other AP offered at my school is Art History, Physchology, and Biology - but I'm not going to take them because I'm not interested in studying any of those). And if it's possible, I'm going to take Economics this summer. And take either AP Macro or Microeconomics outside of school during next school year because it's not offered where I go (should I take Macro or Micro? Both are studied in 1st and 2nd year Economics).
I'm aiming (hoping!) for a 4 or 5 on my APs.
I'm taking a few Grade 12 courses this year, and will take the rest next year. 3 of them Economics/Business related: Accounting, International Business, Economics. And I'm aiming at about a 92/93 average for Grade 12.

If I get a 2100+ on the SATs, get a 4/5 on the APs I'm taking, have a 92/93 average and 'extra-curriculars' related to Economics (for example, a 5 week co-op placement in a workplace that deals with business and economics), would I possibly have even the slightest chance of at least getting interviewed for Cambridge? :smile:

Any feedback or info you have about Cambridge admissions for Canadian students would be much appreciated. My school isn't too familiar with the Oxbridge application process, and I don't know anyone who has applied, so I'm trying to figure it all out! :tongue:

Thanks!
Original post by rockinrobin337
I was thinking of applying to Cambridge this coming year, but I don't know a lot about the requirements for Canadian students.

I am planning on taking the SATs this June.
I'm currently taking AP Language (the other AP [Chemistry] that is offered isn't relevant to what I want to study, Economics). And I am planning to take AP Calculus and AP Studies in Literature next year (the other AP offered at my school is Art History, Physchology, and Biology - but I'm not going to take them because I'm not interested in studying any of those). And if it's possible, I'm going to take Economics this summer. And take either AP Macro or Microeconomics outside of school during next school year because it's not offered where I go (should I take Macro or Micro? Both are studied in 1st and 2nd year Economics).
I'm aiming (hoping!) for a 4 or 5 on my APs.
I'm taking a few Grade 12 courses this year, and will take the rest next year. 3 of them Economics/Business related: Accounting, International Business, Economics. And I'm aiming at about a 92/93 average for Grade 12.

If I get a 2100+ on the SATs, get a 4/5 on the APs I'm taking, have a 92/93 average and 'extra-curriculars' related to Economics (for example, a 5 week co-op placement in a workplace that deals with business and economics), would I possibly have even the slightest chance of at least getting interviewed for Cambridge? :smile:

Any feedback or info you have about Cambridge admissions for Canadian students would be much appreciated. My school isn't too familiar with the Oxbridge application process, and I don't know anyone who has applied, so I'm trying to figure it all out! :tongue:

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm afraid I'm no expert; however, Cambridge certainly consider applicants with SATs! More information's available here. I'd also recommend getting in contact with the Central Admissions Office, probably before speaking to College admissions tutors: their contact details are available here.

Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Hey, I'm also a Canadian applying to Cambridge for 2012 entry!

A few weeks ago, I did email a few Cambridge colleges, and they all said they expect 5's in at least 4 AP subjects :smile:
You will be expected to have done (or currently be doing) APs in the relevant subjects for your course. For economics, this would possibly be Calculus, Economics, and another math. (You should write to the admissions tutor at the College you are aiming for and ask them for more advice on which AP Economics and which AP Calculus to take).

In the past, North American students have been known to get offers of 5,5,5 or 5,5,4 (i.e, three 5s on relevant AP subjects).

If you haven't already, you should also consider the Blyth Scholarship, which is specifically for Canadian students and covers the entire cost of studying at Cambridge. Very competitive, but well worth it.
Reply 4
Original post by Leviathan21
You will be expected to have done (or currently be doing) APs in the relevant subjects for your course. For economics, this would possibly be Calculus, Economics, and another math. (You should write to the admissions tutor at the College you are aiming for and ask them for more advice on which AP Economics and which AP Calculus to take).

In the past, North American students have been known to get offers of 5,5,5 or 5,5,4 (i.e, three 5s on relevant AP subjects).

If you haven't already, you should also consider the Blyth Scholarship, which is specifically for Canadian students and covers the entire cost of studying at Cambridge. Very competitive, but well worth it.

Original post by -raisa
Hey, I'm also a Canadian applying to Cambridge for 2012 entry!

A few weeks ago, I did email a few Cambridge colleges, and they all said they expect 5's in at least 4 AP subjects :smile:

I think my next step will be to contact a few Cambridge colleges for more information.

Thanks for the information about the APs, I didn't know if I should take as many APs as possible, or focus on ones that are relevant to Economics (I know for the States it is the opposite, they want a variety of APs). Unfortunately, our school doesn't offer too many so I'm going to have to search for a few outside programs!
And 555 or 554 seems a lot more possible than 4-5 5s like stated on their website, especially with the limited courses

Thanks for pointing out the Cambridge Scholarship! I think I'm definitely going to apply (although I don't know if my 'financial situation', like stated on the website, is what they are looking for :redface:) but there is no harm in trying!

Thank you again for your answers - they've helped a lot! :biggrin:
I've looked at the Cambridge Scholarship, and
Reply 5
*After looking through some college requirements, I came across this for King's College:

Canada/Ontario
We standardly require at least 80% overall.

How accurate is this percentage? I would assume the requirement to be a lot higher than an 80%...?
Yep, definitely contact the Colleges and get actual information directly from them.

My understanding is that Cambridge prefers students to do relevant APs, as opposed to a wide variety. Or, they prefer that the APs be in rigorous academic subjects (an AP in Chemistry will probably be looked at more favourably than an AP in, say, Studio Design). So, you should contact them and find out which ones they recommend.

Also, keep in mind that the 5,5,5 offer that I heard about was a few years ago, and things have changed since then (in the UK, a new grade of A* has been introduced). So, it is possible that they might give offers of 5,5,5,5 or 5,5,5,4.

Yeah, I would imagine that the actual percentage needed to be successful is higher than 80%.

Good luck with your app!
high SATs will definitely help. When I applied, there was a box where you could fill in any past SAT scores you have had to supplement your application. Same goes for any other examination that you have taken, e.g. ABRSM etc :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by ultramarine
high SATs will definitely help. When I applied, there was a box where you could fill in any past SAT scores you have had to supplement your application. Same goes for any other examination that you have taken, e.g. ABRSM etc :smile:

That's good to know! - Better start studying! :tongue:

Original post by Leviathan21
Yep, definitely contact the Colleges and get actual information directly from them.

My understanding is that Cambridge prefers students to do relevant APs, as opposed to a wide variety. Or, they prefer that the APs be in rigorous academic subjects (an AP in Chemistry will probably be looked at more favourably than an AP in, say, Studio Design). So, you should contact them and find out which ones they recommend.

Also, keep in mind that the 5,5,5 offer that I heard about was a few years ago, and things have changed since then (in the UK, a new grade of A* has been introduced). So, it is possible that they might give offers of 5,5,5,5 or 5,5,5,4.

Yeah, I would imagine that the actual percentage needed to be successful is higher than 80%.

Good luck with your app!

Thanks again for all the info! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending