Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you be happy with your b'friend/g'friend doing drugs? watch

I'm having to accept to some sort of degree that young people (18-25) just want to experiment when it comes to drugs, you know, feel 'feckin amazing' and all that sort of thing. Ok, not everyone does drugs (im talking, coke, ecstacy and rave-related drugs), but you're more likely to try them when you are younger. I say this because im 30 and my boyfriend is 23 and still wants to do drugs - not all the time, just blow outs at raves now and again. Now, im passed all that, aside from a bit of weed every few months, but i was just wondering how you would feel if your boyfriend or girlfriend took drugs?.....

ReputationRep:
    I would get them addicted to my **** instead.

ReputationRep:
    I'm more surprised at you being 30 and your boyfriend only being 23, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't have a problem unless they were addicted.

ReputationRep:
    I would not be happy, because doing drugs makes you a hippy, and hippies suck.

ReputationRep:
    i would leave him.

well, hes very much on my wavelength emotionally, intellectually, sense of humour and physically, and we get on brilliantly, so age is only a problem reallllyy because he still wants to experiment with drugs....

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, as long as they're reasonably sensible. Being on drugs with people you love is fantastic!

ReputationRep:
    Consider the age you both are I think it wouldn't be fair of you to say to him not to take them - it's something he'd probably come to resent later on in the relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Although I don't have drugs, taking my religious cap off, I really don't see the problem in it as long as you don't get addicted. As long as you treat it as a once in a blue moon thing.
    It's less harmful than alcohol in most ways!
    You're only brought up to see drugs as a bad thing because of it's media association to junkies. The same media that pushes you to dream about being a top financier or a celebrity or some sort. Well let me tell you now, they ALL do it for fun, not just the random street junkie.
    So because of media, you associate drugs with junkies who are almost homeless, unclean, can't look after themselves, etc.

The only sort of drug that is too risky is the class A sort.

I don't do any drugs whatsoever, but jus sayin.

ReputationRep:
    Like you said you did it and grew out of it, he will probably do the same.

I think its more because when people are off their faces on drugs, plus alcohol, they lose all sense of reality and they dont know what the hell they are doing - basically, they might cheat. Same with alcohol really.....

The poster who said he might resent me later in life? Yeh you're right, thats why im not really in a position to say 'you can't' or 'dont'. Suppose its because ive reached that chillaxed, cant be arsed doing drugs stage, and hes very experimental/risk taker....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm having to accept to some sort of degree that young people (18-25) just want to experiment when it comes to drugs, you know, feel 'feckin amazing' and all that sort of thing. Ok, not everyone does drugs (im talking, coke, ecstacy and rave-related drugs), but you're more likely to try them when you are younger. I say this because im 30 and my boyfriend is 23 and still wants to do drugs - not all the time, just blow outs at raves now and again. Now, im passed all that, aside from a bit of weed every few months, but i was just wondering how you would feel if your boyfriend or girlfriend took drugs?.....
    I'd be a hypoctire if I said anything other than no it would not bother me.

As long as it was on the same level as me, it'd be fine. [ie no addictions or anything along those lines.]

*also, sex on pills is pretty darn good.

So basically, those who aren't bothered by it, are ones who prob take drugs themselves?
    But has anyone actually been in a rship with someone where one takes drugs and the other doesn't?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So basically, those who aren't bothered by it, are ones who prob take drugs themselves?
    But has anyone actually been in a rship with someone where one takes drugs and the other doesn't?
    Not me personally, but I know people who are and they seem to manage fine. I reckon it's more about the person than the drugs though; generally dicks remain dicks when they're on drugs and decent people remain decent as long as they're not taking them all the time.

ReputationRep:
    Beyond alcohol (and maybe the crafty cigarette), no. Call me hypocritical, though like many others, I believe the two aforementioned drugs are in a completely different field than the likes of marijuana, ecstasy, speed and the rest.

EDIT:

Slightly unrelated, though when I first joined college, the first person I met was some guy named Jack, who was a large, frequent drug user. Smoked weed every single day (if he had it), and had done everything, and I mean literally everything at some point in the past. Now, me, him and a few other guys were talking about drugs once in college-- it started off about marijuana (I don't smoke it, though it just came up), and quickly escalated to the question 'Would you let your children do weed (or more)?'. I was horrified that he actually said he would let his children take any drug, and he emphasised this, as long as they did it in the house, where he and his presumably fellow drug-abusing wife could monitor the effects, just in case something went wrong. That's probably the most disturbing thing I've ever heard; no, wait, the guy who was actually agreeing with him was probably more ****ed in the head.

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't bother me as long as they're not terribly addicted to it. Besides if I said no, I'd be a hypocrite because I do take drugs and am willing to try anything under the sun..

ReputationRep:
    wouldn't be happy at all

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.