Turn on thread page Beta

Does Beauty entail an "imperfection"? watch

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot of talk about symmetrical faces and such, but i disagree, I think one requires a stand out imperfection in order to classify as beautiful.

Take Angelina Jolie, her nose is her "imperfection", and I think it enhances her to a point of beauty.

Cheryl Cole is very symmetrical, but she's not beautiful - appearance wise or personality.

Perhaps an imperfection evolves a beautiful persona.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't notice Angelina Jolie's nose until now, thanks a bunch !!!!

ReputationRep:

Which face do you think is more beautiful?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    I didn't notice Angelina Jolie's nose until now, thanks a bunch !!!!
    and what's wrong with her nose exactly??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rodion Raskolnikow)
    There's a lot of talk about symmetrical faces and such, but i disagree, I think one requires a stand out imperfection in order to classify as beautiful.

Take Angelina Jolie, her nose is her "imperfection", and I think it enhances her to a point of beauty.

Cheryl Cole is very symmetrical, but she's not beautiful - appearance wise or personality.

Perhaps an imperfection evolves a beautiful persona.
    How is Angelina Jolies nose her imperfection. It seems totally perfect to me? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loling909)
    and what's wrong with her nose exactly??
    It's really thin and weird. I only noticed when OP pointed it out, now I don't think she's as attractive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    It's really thin and weird. I only noticed when OP pointed it out, now I don't think she's as attractive.
    She obviously had a nose job, and me thinks what was the need, her old nose was completely fine! Better than the new sharp one infact...

ReputationRep:
    WTF

So i've single handedly decimated Angelina Jolie's looks, when my motive was quite the opposite!

Crikes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loling909)
    She obviously had a nose job, and me thinks what was the need, her old nose was completely fine! Better than the new sharp one infact...

Her old one is better yes. I prefer black noses though...

ReputationRep:
    Sort of the idea of wabi-sabi, that an imperfection enhances beauty as you've said , although i don't adhere to eastern philosophy much, i do agree hehe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helevorn)
    Sort of the idea of wabi-sabi, that an imperfection enhances beauty as you've said , although i don't adhere to eastern philosophy much, i do agree hehe.
    Why is that the case?

Is it that an imperfection defines a person....?

ReputationRep:
    There's no imperfection here fella.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mau5)

Horrible eyebrows + lips too thin....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rodion Raskolnikow)
    Why is that the case?

Is it that an imperfection defines a person....?
    I suppose so yea, i'm guessing it's also that perfection is not really possible and so we can celebrate our imperfections

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mau5)

Could it also be that beauty is based on distinctiveness - she doesn't look too distinctive to me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2011
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.