Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I've been through a few threads discussing the Oxford vs LSE vs Cambridge debate regarding an Mphil IR. I've been accepted into the MPhil IR at Cambridge and MA IR at Syracuse University (Maxwell School) and am still undecided on either. I am keen on building a career in consulting. Could someone please help me out?

On one hand a US school looks appealing in terms of career prospects, especially because the course itself involves an internship and the 'global programs' seem very appealing. On the other hand, I already have a Masters and consider the Cambridge MPhil to be a step up rather than getting another MA. Also the Cambridge brand name seems quite attractive. It also leaves the door open for a PhD in the future I guess

Oh, and since I would have to fund my way through both, the MA looks slightly more expensive (though in all fairness it IS 16months vs a 9 month MPhil!)

ReputationRep:
    I applied to the MPhil at Cambridge too. Still haven't heard back though.Might I ask you when you received an offer? Did they write you an email?

Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aakash87)
    Hi guys,

I've been through a few threads discussing the Oxford vs LSE vs Cambridge debate regarding an Mphil IR. I've been accepted into the MPhil IR at Cambridge and MA IR at Syracuse University (Maxwell School) and am still undecided on either. I am keen on building a career in consulting. Could someone please help me out?

On one hand a US school looks appealing in terms of career prospects, especially because the course itself involves an internship and the 'global programs' seem very appealing. On the other hand, I already have a Masters and consider the Cambridge MPhil to be a step up rather than getting another MA. Also the Cambridge brand name seems quite attractive. It also leaves the door open for a PhD in the future I guess

Oh, and since I would have to fund my way through both, the MA looks slightly more expensive (though in all fairness it IS 16months vs a 9 month MPhil!)
    What type of consulting first of all??? If its political consulting ie Detica and the like I'd suggest Syracuse just because Syracuse is more policy oriented and the type of education schools like Georgetown, JHU, and Syracuse offer are more desired for said consulting. While the Cambridge name is pretty you need to realize something, schools that are solely IR schools tend to have better connections in the related fields. Cambridge is a giant in some things, but I never hear about people going ooh and ahh over an IR degree from Cambridge compared to UK uni like LSE or in general from schools like SAIS Fletcher Walsh or SIS. If you want to do a phD then Cambridge will be the better choice (Syracuse and American IR schools in general are very policy oriented and geared for people that in general plan to not enter academia although SAIS tends to produce its fair share of academic as well as the UChicago CIR) But what will be important is how good your thesis is, what is the topic, does it break the mold, and if there is anybody in Cambridge who are top in the field that you want to study that will be your advisor. What was your past masters in?

ReputationRep:
    cambridge isnt famous for ir really but youre choice is simple
    graduate from university famous in the world
    graduate from unheard of university (outside of the state of new york)

in consulting, being the prestige whores that they are, i strongly recommend the former

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PKU_Research007)
    What type of consulting first of all??? If its political consulting ie Detica and the like I'd suggest Syracuse just because Syracuse is more policy oriented and the type of education schools like Georgetown, JHU, and Syracuse offer are more desired for said consulting. While the Cambridge name is pretty you need to realize something, schools that are solely IR schools tend to have better connections in the related fields. Cambridge is a giant in some things, but I never hear about people going ooh and ahh over an IR degree from Cambridge compared to UK uni like LSE or in general from schools like SAIS Fletcher Walsh or SIS. If you want to do a phD then Cambridge will be the better choice (Syracuse and American IR schools in general are very policy oriented and geared for people that in general plan to not enter academia although SAIS tends to produce its fair share of academic as well as the UChicago CIR) But what will be important is how good your thesis is, what is the topic, does it break the mold, and if there is anybody in Cambridge who are top in the field that you want to study that will be your advisor. What was your past masters in?
    aah I have an MA in history as well as a diploma in management.... though political consulting IS an option, i'm more geared towards security and risk analysis... prof james mayall has been appointed as my supervisor and i'm keen on a thesis on south asian oropolitics - with an emphasis on the siachen conflict

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seekingadvicenow)
    cambridge isnt famous for ir really but youre choice is simple
    graduate from university famous in the world
    graduate from unheard of university (outside of the state of new york)

in consulting, being the prestige whores that they are, i strongly recommend the former
    this is what quite a few people have mentioned... i tend to agree that its a person's ability and actions that matter instead of which university he/she has graduaurted from... unfortunately, i increasingly feel that only a reputed college on your resume is going to get you any face-time at interviews hmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Filou)
    I applied to the MPhil at Cambridge too. Still haven't heard back though.Might I ask you when you received an offer? Did they write you an email?

Many thanks!
    i received my offer in late-january through the self-service page instead of the traditional 'congratulations' email... personally i was quite taken aback! had i not checked my self-service out of sheer boredom, i would've completely missed the deadline to send some documents and accept their offer! 3 weeks later a demure looking letter arrived in my mail informing me about my conditional offer...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.