Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Lately, I've been getting out of the house now that I've had quite a lot of operations for the past fifteen years but I haven't been having a good experience at all... I often get on the bus to go exploring around town or go shopping or whatever and I find that people tend to whisper and point at me and look down their nose at me. One time, I had just bought a new outfit and finally felt like I had a bit of confidence up until I noticed that two women were shaking their head at me and saying negative things about my new clothes. One of the women told the other to stop when I glanced at them but she replied with "It's alright. He doesn't speak English". I'm South Korean but I legally moved to this country at a very young age and have been studying English (I want to teach English back in South Korea). Though, English is my fourth language (Korean being the first, then Japanese, Chinese and French) so I don't feel confident in it anyway but what people say makes me feel even worse...

So, does anyone have an advice on how I can deal with situations like this? It's making me regret even making the decision to get out more.

ReputationRep:
    I know it doesn't really apply to when you're just out and about, but I always tell. Go to whoever is above them and sing like a canary. It usually works quite effectively. But never approach them directly. Ignorance is so stubborn and you might just end up losing your temper.

Either that, or wear an Ipod. You don't care what people have to say anyway and at least that way you don't have to hear it either.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean. I was wearing my white suit along with a stetson the other day in town, gang of lads started singing 'smooth criminal' at me. Little ****ers.:mad:

ReputationRep:
    I get people shouting at me to cut my hair still from time to time.

I've also gotten laid many a times through people being drawn to it.

I don't think I'm helping. Roll around on concrete until your skin turns to leather.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.