Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, did know where to put this. Anyway, I have the opportunity to play for my school's first XXI football team and I was just wondering whether or not this would help my application a lot?

Cheers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    No it won't. If you're applying for something inherently sports related then it will be more important but in general they (probably, as I'm not a selector myself) won't care; the space can be used far better.

This said, making a passing comment about it won't hurt. I had one sentence in my non-academic paragraph stating that I'd played rugby for many years, for example.

ReputationRep:
    I have gotten offers from unis and I haven't mentioned sports at all and neither have any of my friends and they've all had offers so I wouldn't worry about it.

I'd only take it up if you know you are going to really enjoy it because when you get nearer the end of A Levels and the final exams or even nearer your uni application, things get so stressful that if you don't enjoy it, it will become a huge burden and maybe a bit of a time waster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    No it won't. If you're applying for something inherently sports related then it will be more important but in general they (probably, as I'm not a selector myself) won't care; the space can be used far better.

This said, making a passing comment about it won't hurt. I had one sentence in my non-academic paragraph stating that I'd played rugby for many years, for example.
    This.

The general consensus from my school [a private one with contacts all over the place] is that sports and extra-curricular activities used to be important, however academia has taken almost everything from it now.
    Like paddy says, if you make a passing comment about your extra-curricular activities and link it in to how it makes you a better candidate for selection [try not to focus on abstract ideas mind] then it should be beneficial. Pay particular attention however to extra-curricular stuff that directly relates to your subject, as this will emphasize the passion and willingness to go beyond just the minimum in your subject. [IE, as a PPE hopeful I do the Model UN, debating team and young entrepreneur].

ReputationRep:
    Well, my friend (who's applying for business management) put something along the lines of "I regularly organise football gatherings" in his personal statement. Which apparently shows he is well organised. I don't know if that swung it for him. He did get 5/5 offers though. Admitedly not the best universities, but 5/5 is still pretty good.

I just lol'd at it to be honest.

:borat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwertyuip)
    I have the opportunity to play for my school's first XXI football team
    Your team must win every match it plays if it has ten players more than the opposition.

(Original post by Bektas)
    Well, my friend (who's applying for business management) put something along the lines of "I regularly organise football gatherings" in his personal statement. Which apparently shows he is well organised.
    Well, it shows that he claims to do something, but it says nothing about how well he does it (or even that he actually does it), and underlines that you should demonstrate, in your PS, what you are able to achieve rather than merely make unsubstantiated claims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwertyuip)
    Sorry, did know where to put this. Anyway, I have the opportunity to play for my school's first XXI football team and I was just wondering whether or not this would help my application a lot?

Cheers
    No, but not everything has to be an exercise in making your UCAS application better - if you want to play football with that team, do it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing says "accept me" better than a well-rounded application It's not the sport you play, it's how you convince them that the sport supports / is related to your course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angger)
    Nothing says "accept me" better than a well-rounded application
    :no: A relevant application. Lots of universities, especially the better ones, aren't very interested in the applicant being well-rounded.

ReputationRep:
    unless you play for england. i doubt they'll take much notice of it

ReputationRep:
    Ouch, my bad. Well honestly, I don't know how they make the decision. But my mommy made sure I never miss my piano lessons or my soccer matches because she thinks it matters :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    :no: A relevant application. Lots of universities, especially the better ones, aren't very interested in the applicant being well-rounded.
    well said.
    Only join the team if you have spare time and it will benefit you in other ways than being on your UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. Been really helpful. I'm gonna pass on the football on focus on my A-Levels instead.

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.