Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I recently tried to sign a contract for a house with friends but following the signing had to drop out as I couldn't find a guarantor.
    I didn't think this was too much of a problem but after trying to rent a further 26 rooms I'm still unable to find anywhere to live next year because I can't provide a guarantor (when I say I can't, I mean it so please no responses of suggestions, I really have no-one I can turn to!)
    Newcastle University, as per-usual, are about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. They won't let me back in halls, they suggested private halls and I contacted all of them, and they all require guarantors or the rent paid all at once!
    They also have families lined up to take in lodgers but charge an extortionate £90 per week and for something only offered on a temporary basis.
    I'm on a tight budget- no more than £60 per week before bills, which is do-able in Newcastle (if you have a guarantor )
    I've no idea what to do! My friend's family have a room to let in Lancaster and Lancaster are willing to let me study there but it means repeating my first year!
    Why should I have to pay another year of tuition fees because my University couldn't care less about what happens to me after first year?
    Any advice would be much appreciated
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by lrobbo89)
    I recently tried to sign a contract for a house with friends but following the signing had to drop out as I couldn't find a guarantor.
    I didn't think this was too much of a problem but after trying to rent a further 26 rooms I'm still unable to find anywhere to live next year because I can't provide a guarantor (when I say I can't, I mean it so please no responses of suggestions, I really have no-one I can turn to!)
    Newcastle University, as per-usual, are about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. They won't let me back in halls, they suggested private halls and I contacted all of them, and they all require guarantors or the rent paid all at once!
    They also have families lined up to take in lodgers but charge an extortionate £90 per week and for something only offered on a temporary basis.
    I'm on a tight budget- no more than £60 per week before bills, which is do-able in Newcastle (if you have a guarantor )
    I've no idea what to do! My friend's family have a room to let in Lancaster and Lancaster are willing to let me study there but it means repeating my first year!
    Why should I have to pay another year of tuition fees because my University couldn't care less about what happens to me after first year?
    You shouldn't have to but if it is the only option you have then you may have to.

I doubt you have focused your efforts very well in context though. If you look for one-room accommodation that isn't targeted at students but at people who have low-salary jobs, migrant workers etc then you won't, in my experience, need to provide a guarantor. You may well be in a less optimal location though, and the quality and experience may not be what you would wish.

I know nothing of your area though, it could simply be very different where I've been.

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    Have you been looking at agency let properties or ones let directly through the landlord?

Because while all agencies will want you to have a guarantor, there are still some landlords who don't ask for one (although I imagine it's probably harder to find one that doesn't/a lot down to luck).

My sister never got asked for one when she moved into her second year house, and while I was initially worried about the prospect of having to find a guarantor (pretty impossible for me too as parents live abroad and none of my relatives would fit the usual criteria), when I eventually found a room, I haven't been asked for one either.

The best places to look would be sites like gumtree or see if your uni has a private housing list.

ReputationRep:
    Go to the landlord directly, and use websites like Gumtree/craigslist etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lrobbo89)
    Most obvious thing to do is to find a private landlord looking to rent out a room in a flat. As people have said above they often won't require a guarantor, although you may have less security if you're paying month-by-month rather than as part of a fixed-term contract.

Alternatively, how much of the money do you have now? They may be willing to accept a greater portion of the rent up front (say 3 months as well as the deposit) in lieu of a guarantee. It might require you to take out a bank loan so that you can pay more upfront, which would be more expensive, but it might still be cheaper than renting as a lodger.

Alternatively if you have the entire of the year's rent available up front some banks will let you put it in an account and freeze it so you can't do anything but pay rent with it - inconvenient for you but potentially worth considering since it would provide a guarantee without you having to hand over all the money to someone you don't trust.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Turns out Gumtree and Spareroom are better for people in my situation than student accomm sites...and even better tweeting about Spareroom found me a local looking for lodgers hooray!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.