Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AQA ELLA 3 comparative analysis. Help!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharleyC92)
    Okie doke, here is a paragraph i wrote from an ELLA3 practise around a month ago.

"Both texts A and B depict mining as a cruel and laborious occupation. Text A uses an interesting piece of visual imagery with the phrase "The miner at the rock face stands." This conjures imagery of being trapped or suggests desperation for escape. This is reiterated further when the miners hands are described as "segged and bleeding." The connotations of pain and suffering convey the hellish nature of the job. These two images combined show the cruelty and laborious nature of mining. In text B Orwell uses similar descriptive methods. He mentions "buttons down the back" which we are then told are "permanent scabs" the miners have. The lexical choice of "scab" is basic and crude in nature. It de-glamorises any pre-conceived notions the reader may have and conveys the stripped back nature of mining evident in text A. The definitive use of "permanent" also reminds the reader of the damage and pain caused by mining. Together, a real sense of the sympathy is portrayed from Nicholson and Orwell as the miners pains are described so explicitly. The solemn and downtrodden tone is also evident through phrases such as "unbearable agony" or "they dig for death." This shows how the two writers believe that contrary to the popular notion of "digging for treasure" in the real world, miners only uncover more suffering.”

xxxx
    let me know what you think btw, or if you want some more examples, we got made to do an ELLA3 practise everyweek so i've got loads
    I'm doing this exam on Friday and was just wondering whether you had a whole essay i could look at please?
    Also do you know how much we should be writing for section A?
    Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meg162)
    I'm doing this exam on Friday and was just wondering whether you had a whole essay i could look at please?
    Also do you know how much we should be writing for section A?
    Thanks x
    I just sent this to someone else, it's not complete but it still got 47/60

This one was about the sea:

All three texts are about the power and destructive forces of the sea. A common theme across the three texts is personification or the characterisation of the sea as destructive and unforgiving. All three texts have a public audience which need to be engaged to encourage interest in an otherwise boring topic. Therefore, engaging and attention grabbing techniques such as exaggeration and hyperbole are used to captivate the audience.

Text A and B are very similar in their description of the sea. Text A uses many lexical choices to suggest a supernatural influence on the behaviour of the sea. Lexical choices such as “white embrace, screaming eyes, white body” and “ghost” suggest horror and fear on behalf of the narrator. This is greatly influenced by the narrator as he believes that his father has gone to take his own life. Therefore the natural association with the after-life and death are made. The hyperbolic and descriptive natures of such phrases convey his fear and the clarity of his memories. His fear of the sea is intensified further by the contrasting description of the land, “perfectly secluded.” By having this distinct contrast his attitudes and values are further evident of being fearful and chaotic and for his longing of the peacefulness of the land. However these descriptive language choices suit the purpose of a novel. Therefore we can assume that the experience and the emotions have been exaggerated slightly. This theme of the supernatural and evil is also apparent in text B. The water is described as “black” which carries its own connotations and associations of evil, death and suffering. This links to William’s contrast between the chaos and cruelty of the sea compared with the land. In text B the land is treated with sympathy; the sea is said to “pound” at the once “thriving” land. This personifies the sea as a bully and further exaggerates the rough conditions of the North Sea.

Text C personifies the sea by describing the noise it makes as “hissing.” This creates a sinister tone because we as a listener would relate this back to the noise of a snake. Snakes are threatening and this is what the speaker wants to convey. However the use of sibilance in “hissing” as phonology shows that because the text is meant to be heard the speaker aimed to make an auditory impact. This makes it suitable for purpose but also communicates the fear of the speaker during the described event. Text B does something similar by personifying the characteristics of the sea. By emphasising that this sea is from “the North” a stereotype is used to convey the message of hardiness and masculinity. This is evident when the sea is described as a “stroppy old sod.” The colloquial terminology contrasts to the sincere and fearful tone of text A and C. It could even make the read empathise with the character of the sea as only the bad traits are being described. Overall, by characterising the sea by using stereotypes a comical effect is made and the mood is lightened compared with texts A and C which are concerned with destruction.

- For section A i usually write about 3 and a half pages, but my handwriting it huge. As my essay structure only consists of 5 paragraphs i guess for most people that would mean around 2 and a half or 3 pages? xxxx

ReputationRep:
    Okay, this is my example but it is no where as good as the one above.

This one was about feelings:

Text B is an advertisement by 'The Big Issue Foundation' which appeared in 'The Independent'. As compared to text A, the use of language within this extract evidently appear to be more negative overall. The use of lexical choices such as 'never', 'beaten', 'fail' and 'scavenge' not only shows the use of a negative semantic field but furthermore helps add the effect of creating feelings of sympathy and sadness from the readers. Text A however carries much more positive lexical choices such as the repeated use of the lexis 'love' which aim to create joyful and happy feelings for the audience. Both texts make use of language which are open to interpretation. For example, 'their little secrets' perhaps connotes sexual abuse but also perhaps innocence in an ironic sense, whilst "till a' the seas gang dry" connotes eternity and time. In contrast, text A however makes use of colloquial language such as 'pissheads', 'beaten the crap out of' and 'pissed'. The use of colloquialism emphasises that perhaps that the situation of teenage exploitation is very much close to reality. On the contrary, the non-existence of colloquialism gives the extract the qualities and themes of dreams and fantasy.

ReputationRep:
    hi im just starting ella3 can u send me ur paragraphs or essays so i can use them . thanks

ReputationRep:
    I honestly thought I was the only one..

ReputationRep:
    Sitting my exam tomorrow morning and this is the most useful thing Ive found on the Internet in the last hour and a half c

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the time breakdown for this exam?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 10, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.