Turn on thread page Beta

How do people fail their driving tests more than once?! watch

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, how is that even possible? It's not that freaking hard to drive. I mean, just think of the most idiotic adult you know. Do they have their license? If the answer is yes, which it most likely is, then how is it possible for people to fail their test two, three, four, five times?! I mean, I guess I can understand failing it one time if you're really nervous, but any more than that is pretty pathetic. Though, at least they're not passing people because that means less bad drivers out there.

ReputationRep:
    Stfu. :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    Some people are unlucky - it's also in part down to who else is on the road with you. I saw some bloke on his test yesterday get to the lights just as they changed (and the lights are notorious for changing at the very last second, and very quickly) and failed because he was over the line.

Some people just fall apart under the pressure, and sometimes they've having an off day. Everyone has those.

Tell me, have you actually done yours yet?

ReputationRep:
    There are some horrible drivers on the roads that can ruin driving tests for the candidate just by being a knob. It's a game of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    Some people are unlucky - it's also in part down to who else is on the road with you. I saw some bloke on his test yesterday get to the lights just as they changed (and the lights are notorious for changing at the very last second, and very quickly) and failed because he was over the line.

Some people just fall apart under the pressure, and sometimes they've having an off day. Everyone has those.

I sure have. And, I got a 100% on it the first try. No lie. I guess that's why I don't understand how people can fail it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chlobofro)
    There are some horrible drivers on the roads that can ruin driving tests for the candidate just by being a knob. It's a game of luck.
    but, as a responsible and prepared driver you should be able to deal with those drivers easy-peasy. I mean, unless they're running straight towards you, but I don't think that happens very often. Sounds like an excuse to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green chica)
    but, as a responsible and prepared driver you should be able to deal with those drivers easy-peasy. I mean, unless they're running straight towards you, but I don't think that happens very often. Sounds like an excuse to me.
    Not exactly. Everyone has mishaps on the road due to someone else. The amount of people I know who have been driving for a long time and/or have passed their test that have had "idiots on the road" getting in the way and being dangerous is countless. You can't be prepared when a bus has pulled out in front of you without using indicators therefore screwing up your chance of passing.

ReputationRep:
    I sure have. And, I got a 100% on it the first try. No lie. I guess that's why I don't understand how people can fail it...
    Lucky you. I guess you're just the driving God and we should all look up to you, right?

You must have an off day every so often, it just happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chlobofro)
    Not exactly. Everyone has mishaps on the road due to someone else. The amount of people I know who have been driving for a long time and/or have passed their test that have had "idiots on the road" getting in the way and being dangerous is countless. You can't be prepared when a bus has pulled out in front of you without using indicators therefore screwing up your chance of passing.
    hmmmm. Do you live in a big city or something? Because people don't drive like that where I live. Granted, there are some bad drivers, but it's not that common (i took my test in the suburbs).

Lucky you. I guess you're just the driving God and we should all look up to you, right?

You must have an off day every so often, it just happens.
    LOL! I wouldn't say that. My parents are exceptional drivers (and, for me to compliment them, it really means they deserve the compliment) so I guess I've learned from them. Defo wouldn't say I'm god's gift to the world when it comes to driving.

And, of course I have off days, but you prepare yourself for when you're having a big test, do you not? I was so freaking nervous when I took my test. I felt like my heart was going to pop out of my chest. However, having three, four, five off days when you're taking the same test on those days doesn't add up. I'm not talking about failing it once, I'm talking about failing it multiple times.

ReputationRep:
    That is possibly the most redundant statement ever.

There is a difference between being able to drive and passing a driving test. I can 'drive' as in, I know how to manoeuvre the car and change gear, yet I can't pass a test. My Father can drive, but he wouldn't pass a test if he took one.

Heck, I bet if you tried to retake that test you wouldn't get 100% again. Just because you found it easy, doesn't mean everyone does.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, how is that even possible? It's not that freaking hard to drive. I mean, just think of the most idiotic adult you know. Do they have their license? If the answer is yes, which it most likely is, then how is it possible for people to fail their test two, three, four, five times?! I mean, I guess I can understand failing it one time if you're really nervous, but any more than that is pretty pathetic. Though, at least they're not passing people because that means less bad drivers out there.
    Five times, hi-five! o/

ReputationRep:
    Because everyone makes mistakes, and a half-hour test isn't really a fair way to judge driving skill. I've been in cars with some people who really really shouldn't have passed but got lucky on the day and had an easy test, and I know some drivers who are very safe who didn't pass first or second time around because of things outside their control.

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be under the mistaken impression that being good at driving and being able to pass a driving test are the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skunky x)
    That is possibly the most redundant statement ever.

There is a difference between being able to drive and passing a driving test. I can 'drive' as in, I know how to manoeuvre the car and change gear, yet I can't pass a test. My Father can drive, but he wouldn't pass a test if he took one.

Heck, I bet if you tried to retake that test you wouldn't get 100% again. Just because you found it easy, doesn't mean everyone does.
    If you want to get picky, they test you on your ability to drive in, as you say, the ability to "maneuver the car and change gear" as well as drive responsibly and defensively, which are equally important.

(Original post by loonyplatypus)
    Because everyone makes mistakes, and a half-hour test isn't really a fair way to judge driving skill. I've been in cars with some people who really really shouldn't have passed but got lucky on the day and had an easy test, and I know some drivers who are very safe who didn't pass first or second time around because of things outside their control.
    I'd say it means they know how to drive well, but they just choose not to. And, again, can you really call it bad luck after the fourth or fifth time? Come on now, that's not taking responsibility. Every once in a while, sure. But a ton of people who are like that is just crazy.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you have to ask this just shows you're a bad driver.

ReputationRep:

That's not unlucky that's failing to drive to the conditions of the road. If lights have been green for a while then a good driver will be expecting them to change and should be prepared to stop. It isn't bad luck it's failing to be aware.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    The fact that you have to ask this just shows you're a bad driver.
    And what logic where you using when you decided to write this statement?

ReputationRep:
    To be fair there should be a cap on the amount of times you can take your test, for example someone who fails more than ten times?

ReputationRep:
    1 - Bad luck with other drivers. You can quite easily fail even if you do nothing wrong. I've known people who failed but were told that it didn't matter what decision they made, they would have failed either way.

2 - Nerves. You will be a lot more nervous on your test than you will be at any other time on the road.

3 - A lot of it is experience. Some people just try their tests way too early.

(Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    You seem to be under the mistaken impression that being good at driving and being able to pass a driving test are the same thing.
    This.
    Quite interesting is the fact that the people I know who passed their test first time are probably actually worse drivers than those who took a few times to pass.

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, ability to drive and ability to pass a driving test are a different thing. My driving tests were some of the worst experiences of my life - so much so that I decided I'd rather not drive that go through it again. I'm confident that I could drive safely (I couldn't now - I haven't drive in 2 years), but in the test situation I fell to pieces. The examiners actually kept telling me to relax and "drive how you usually would", but it was impossible.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 16, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.