Turn on thread page Beta

How do people fail their driving tests more than once?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green chica)
    but, as a responsible and prepared driver you should be able to deal with those drivers easy-peasy. I mean, unless they're running straight towards you, but I don't think that happens very often. Sounds like an excuse to me.
    I failed my first time because while driving, some **** decided to overtake me, and he climbed the pavement. The knob broke the speed limit, and the examiner said you failed because ou should have moved out of the way (it was a one way road) and gone faster (i was doing like 27). Stupid chav made me fail first time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    1 - Bad luck with other drivers. You can quite easily fail even if you do nothing wrong. I've known people who failed but were told that it didn't matter what decision they made, they would have failed either way.

2 - Nerves. You will be a lot more nervous on your test than you will be at any other time on the road.

3 - A lot of it is experience. Some people just try their tests way too early.

This.
    Quite interesting is the fact that the people I know who passed their test first time are probably actually worse drivers than those who took a few times to pass.
    1 - again, there aren't that many bad drivers out there.

2 - I was a ball of nerves and i passed.

3 - that's why they require you to have 50 hours at least of driving before you take your test. If people don't do the 50 hours they're supposed to then they're stupid and no wonder they didn't pass.

ReputationRep:

3 - that's why they require you to have 50 hours at least of driving before you take your test. If people don't do the 50 hours they're supposed to then they're stupid and no wonder they didn't pass.
    1 - There really are. You must be quite blind to miss them. And this is back home (in a small village), at uni (in Bath), at my girlfriends (a town in north devon), and in other cities and towns I have visited. So it isn't limited to a particular area.

And it isn't just bad drivers. Very busy traffic can have an effect. I know you should be able to deal with it when driving, but as I said, I know people who were told they were just unlucky because they couldn't have passed no matter what they did (very busy roundabout, would have failed for being dangerous has they just gone for it, and would have failed for hesitation if they waited at all).

2 - Nerves affect different people different ways.

3 - They don't require 50 hours of driving.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

50 hours?? I've never heard that before. I thought I took a while to get ready for my test but I had nothing like that.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, how is that even possible? It's not that freaking hard to drive. I mean, just think of the most idiotic adult you know. Do they have their license? If the answer is yes, which it most likely is, then how is it possible for people to fail their test two, three, four, five times?! I mean, I guess I can understand failing it one time if you're really nervous, but any more than that is pretty pathetic. Though, at least they're not passing people because that means less bad drivers out there.

Who calls lecturers/teachers/tutors a professor these days? You want to become an English professor, which you've stated in your profile. This sort of lingo suggests you are an American :holmes: . Lets not forget the driving test in the US pretty much consists of driving in a straight line, in an automatic. You may be lucky and get a test that requires you to drive around the block. Either way you pretty much have to be hopeless to fail a test there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    Some people are unlucky - it's also in part down to who else is on the road with you. I saw some bloke on his test yesterday get to the lights just as they changed (and the lights are notorious for changing at the very last second, and very quickly) and failed because he was over the line.

Some people just fall apart under the pressure, and sometimes they've having an off day. Everyone has those.

Tell me, have you actually done yours yet?

(Original post by chlobofro)
    There are some horrible drivers on the roads that can ruin driving tests for the candidate just by being a knob. It's a game of luck.

(Original post by loonyplatypus)
    Because everyone makes mistakes, and a half-hour test isn't really a fair way to judge driving skill. I've been in cars with some people who really really shouldn't have passed but got lucky on the day and had an easy test, and I know some drivers who are very safe who didn't pass first or second time around because of things outside their control.
    i agree with all of the above. it really is just down to luck and other drivers being complete door knobs () also, i have this anxiety thing which i've just got med for recently, so..

ReputationRep:
    Yes, there are those who pass their test first time, some with no driving faults at all but they are very much the exception. There are lots of variables when learning to drive any, or all of which, may affect your ability to drive. You have mentioned some of them as have other people here. However, to suggest that everyone should pass first time is at best inaccurately optimistic and at worst downright mischievous.

If you give someone 100 hours of tuition, including 15 mock tests and they have lots of external practice then the likelihood is that they will pass first time. It doesn't mean necessarily that they are a brilliant driver - they may just be a well practiced, competent driver. On the other hand, someone may have 20 hours of lessons, 1 mock test, no external practice and they may be a brilliant driver. I tend towards the latter in my tuition.

I do accept that there may be a small element of luck when taking the test but most of the time the driver should be able to mitigate for anything that happens. That's what I teach my pupils to do so that they can handle whatever driving situations they come across. Most people fail due to silly mistakes where they have reacted wrongly to traffic and/or road conditions. However, to suggest that they are hopeless because they are not as good as you is just plain daft.

Most drivers think that they are brilliant. I can find faults with most peoples driving. So I offer you a challenge. If you are so brilliant, come for an assessment drive with me and see if you are as good as you believe yourself to be...

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm. Do you live in a big city or something? Because people don't drive like that where I live. Granted, there are some bad drivers, but it's not that common (i took my test in the suburbs).

Well then surely you are smart enough to realise that the location of where you took your test affected the outcome.

When I was taking lessons in Swindon, which is notorious for having many, and I mean MANY, roundabouts (look up the magic roundabout) and must have had about 50 lessons and my instructor wasn't even trying to get me to book my test, saying I wasn't ready and stuff. Too about a year and a half out from driving due to money and moving for uni, and then started my lessons again where I live now, Wirral, where there are hardly any roundabouts compared to Swindon, and only had about 20 lessons and then passed first time. Supposedly Swindon is one of the hardest places in the country to pass your test, so location play a big part in it.

Surely you could have figured that out yourself? If you've never driven in a big city where bus drivers do just pull out without indicating (it does happen), then how can you possibly comment on how easy it is to pass first time?

Also, passing first time doesn't make you a better driver, it just means you were lucky on that day. Logic would have it that people who have been taking lessons for longer (and thus more tests) are safer drivers than those who pass after only a few lessons, for example. But as I say, passing first time doesn't make someone a better driver, it just depends on luck of who else is out driving that day, what the weather is like, who the examiner is, how many cars are out on the road, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Tit.

A lot of the test just comes down to chance and luck.

ReputationRep:
    being nervous just because youve done it before doesnt mean you wont be nervous again
    silly mistakes
    being too careful (all my minors were for hesitating...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    You seem to be under the mistaken impression that being good at driving and being able to pass a driving test are the same thing.
    But you have to admit that there is some correlation...

ReputationRep:
    because they're women duh

ReputationRep:
    I sure have. And, I got a 100% on it the first try. No lie. I guess that's why I don't understand how people can fail it...
    You will get far in life because you got 100%. Well done.

ReputationRep:

1 - Are you being serious. I've seen more idiots on the road than safe ones. The biggest hazard on the road is other drivers, there are so many people out there that drive carelessly, break the speed limits, undertake and break the law. Ok, some areas, towns and cities can vary on how many 'bad' drivers are around but generally there are more dangerous drivers out there.

2 - Fair enough comment. I was a bag of nerves on my test and passed first time. But then nerves could vary with each person, like for me I get more nervous before rather than during something. Others may just be a complete wreck.

3 - You don't have to do at least 50 hours, the DSA recommends so many hours but it can vary with each student. Some may only need 20 and can pass, others may need 60 hours before they pass. It's all up to an instructor on whether you are ready or not.

On the whole it can be very easy to fail your test first time and will be different for each person. I feel I was lucky with my test, things such as cyclists I was hoping not to have which I didn't, I did have to drive through the morning rush and had more hazards to be aware of but still whether that was luck or not remains to be seen, either way I'm thrilled I passed first time.

But unfortunately the driving test is nothing like actually driving independently. During the test you have to do things with precision, check your mirrors at the right times, change gears in good time and perform maneuvers very slowly. I was more concerned about doing everything right rather than just driving.

People are put under so much stress during a test and for some people it may be too much, not because they are a bad driver but because they are concentrating more on if they are doing the right thing at the right moment.

I know a few people who failed their tests a few times and they are still great drivers. Just because you pass first time, it doesn't mean you're the better driver, it's a very personal thing at the end of the day and it's something that's too easy to be generalized.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    And how can you pass with 100%, unless it's the theory.

ReputationRep:
    Failing twice can happen to anyone. What I don't understand is how people can fail it more than 7 times ?

ReputationRep:
    Reality check: passing first time with no minors doesn't make you a good driver -.-

ReputationRep:
    Somehow, my little brother has managed to fail his theory test twice :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.roadtestreports.co.uk/new...etter-drivers/

But then I've failed twice, so I'm a crap driver :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potiron)
    Somehow, my little brother has managed to fail his theory test twice :facepalm:
    My Mum's friend's daughter has failed it 6 times :eek:

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.