The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lol, 109 thumbs down, and one added from me, congrats.

Oh, and I passed first time, but I still find you an ignorant prat.
Reply 121
Original post by Winning
Dear green chica, you're from the US. You can be proud of that as the USA are a great country.
However, you can't drive. You simply can't drive. You don't even drive real cars (a vehicle with automatic transmission is NOT A REAL CAR, it's merely a kids toy). Your driving tests are pathetic. That's right, you heard me. Pathetic. So are your streets and your speed limits.
German car manufacturers actually produce special US-versions of their cars and put the oldest and cheapest technology available to them in them because in the US driving is so ****ing easy and boring that you simply don't need the good stuff. They are still years ahead of everything american manufacturers can come up with, though.
Just compare the US- and the german version of the VW Passat (the one from the MiniDarthVader-ad) and you'll see what I mean.

Drive in the US for 20 years and you still wouldn't be able to pass a german or british driving test. If a Brit fails his driving test 20 times, he is still a better driver than you are.

Jesus Christ...

what does the type of car i drive or don't drive have to do with how good of a driver i am? this seems like more of a rant about differences in cars than anything else...
Reply 122
Original post by Jmzie-Coupe
Lol, 109 thumbs down, and one added from me, congrats.

Oh, and I passed first time, but I still find you an ignorant prat.

well, good for you then. :cookie::congrats:
Original post by green chica
what does the type of car i drive or don't drive have to do with how good of a driver i am?

Because driving a manual = more do to and think about = more chance of making a mistake and failing.
Reply 124
what does the type of car i drive or don't drive have to do with how good of a driver i am? [...]

Pretty much everything. Driving an automatic car on US-Streets requires about the same amount of skill as being a passenger in a taxicab. You don't actually have control over your car (except for start/stop/left/right but thats the same as in a playstation-game for little kids) - and considering the streets and the speed-limits in the US you actually don't need it.

And you know what, that's totally fine, you're not responsible for that and don't need to be ashamed for it. But please don't claim you know anything about driving. You don't. You never actually drove a car, you've never been more than a passenger.
Nevermind the fact that even if you could drive a real car, you still wouldn't be able to drive in Europe as our traffic is far more complex than yours.

Your OP is like me saying ,I can't understand how people can fail to get their pilots license, I landed my little brothers RC-plane once, surely I could do the same with a 747...'
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Teaddict
Well you're an idiot aren't you.

My friend failed the first time because an ambulance turned on the sirens behind her and she got scared.
She failed the second time because someone cut her up real bad and she got a bit scared.
Third time went well.

If she can't deal with an emergency vehicle then she shouldn't be driving. The amount of drivers that can't is really scary, in my mind it should be a part of the driving test, as in the examiner would say, when the person is driving and it is safe to do so "Imagine an ambulance/police car/fire engine is driving behind you with warning devices on, what would you do", in some situations, such as double white lines with poor visibility and no where to pull over, continuing at the same speed until you can STOP - not slow down - safely, giving the emergency vehicle good visibility, or pulling over such that the vehicle can pass WITHOUT touching the double white lines/`

If she can't deal with someone else driving like a dick then she shouldn't be driving, purely because of the amount of people who drive like dicks on the roads, you need to be able to deal with them, otherwise you will get into an accident.
Original post by chriscpritchard
If she can't deal with an emergency vehicle then she shouldn't be driving. The amount of drivers that can't is really scary, in my mind it should be a part of the driving test, as in the examiner would say, when the person is driving and it is safe to do so "Imagine an ambulance/police car/fire engine is driving behind you with warning devices on, what would you do", in some situations, such as double white lines with poor visibility and no where to pull over, continuing at the same speed until you can STOP - not slow down - safely, giving the emergency vehicle good visibility, or pulling over such that the vehicle can pass WITHOUT touching the double white lines/`

If she can't deal with someone else driving like a dick then she shouldn't be driving, purely because of the amount of people who drive like dicks on the roads, you need to be able to deal with them, otherwise you will get into an accident.

You can't expect a new driver to be as confident as someone who has been driving for years. If you do, you're nothing but a fool.
Reply 127
Honestly, how is that even possible? It's not that freaking hard to drive. I mean, just think of the most idiotic adult you know. Do they have their license? If the answer is yes, which it most likely is, then how is it possible for people to fail their test two, three, four, five times?! I mean, I guess I can understand failing it one time if you're really nervous, but any more than that is pretty pathetic. Though, at least they're not passing people because that means less bad drivers out there.

how are you a "respected member" of tsr with comments like this...
Reply 128
what does the type of car i drive or don't drive have to do with how good of a driver i am? this seems like more of a rant about differences in cars than anything else...

automatic cars are just a big go kart...doesnt take any skill!
Original post by Teaddict
You can't expect a new driver to be as confident as someone who has been driving for years. If you do, you're nothing but a fool.

I don't, but I do expect them to be able to know what to do should an emergency vehicle comes along. A lot of the people who do not know how to react are not actually new drivers!!

I also don't expect someone to be fully confident when dealing with a driver who is doing things that are totally unexpected, however, they should be able to deal with them (relatively) safely, if they can't then they should be taught how to. For example, if a driver starts running red lights, then the learner shouldn't just blindly go through the green light (which technically means go if safe) and collide with the oncoming vehicle, though in an accident it would not be their fault, it is still something that is dangerous!
Why the neg rep? When driving normally on the road, you will come across lots of drivers who drive poorly, surely being able to deal with them is one thing we should be tested on, if someone comes hurtling towards you, breaking the speed limit, they are wrong, but it doesn't mean you can just continue driving towards them, if you take that attitude you'll end up dead and the DSA test shouldn't just be about can you drive according to a prescriptive list, but can you react and deal with hazards, especially unexpected ones, safely!

With the emergency vehicle thing, lots of drivers do not know how to react. Sometimes it's because they don't know how, and that can be fixed with extra education, specifically around what they can and cannot do under law, of which crossing a double white line (except under the conditions a normal road user may) is something the fire and ambulance services are not able to do. Other people may just not care, and that isn't what education can easily target. Some people also just don't notice that the emergency vehicle is there, and it is cases like that where the hazard perception test comes in handy (perhaps add a clip with an ambulance coming towards the car!).
Reply 131
This thread has got to be over soon.

OP is american, therefore cannot even comment on British driving tests or British cars or anything. There is so much more skill required to drive a British car. My friend said she struggles to control gears as well as steering etc, but she can do both fine when her instructor helps her.

So basically, she could pass a US driving test, but wouldn't even come close to passing a British one.
Reply 132
Original post by WelshBluebird
Because driving a manual = more do to and think about = more chance of making a mistake and failing.

Original post by Winning
Pretty much everything. Driving an automatic car on US-Streets requires about the same amount of skill as being a passenger in a taxicab. You don't actually have control over your car (except for start/stop/left/right but thats the same as in a playstation-game for little kids) - and considering the streets and the speed-limits in the US you actually don't need it.

And you know what, that's totally fine, you're not responsible for that and don't need to be ashamed for it. But please don't claim you know anything about driving. You don't. You never actually drove a car, you've never been more than a passenger.
Nevermind the fact that even if you could drive a real car, you still wouldn't be able to drive in Europe as our traffic is far more complex than yours.

Your OP is like me saying ,I can't understand how people can fail to get their pilots license, I landed my little brothers RC-plane once, surely I could do the same with a 747...'

Original post by mashman9
automatic cars are just a big go kart...doesnt take any skill!

*sigh* my friend has a very old MANUAL VW and i drive it almost as much as my own AUTOMATIC car, and once you get used to driving a manual there really isn't that much of a difference as far as skill needed. it's all the matter of being confident in your ability to drive a manual, and after a while it all becomes second nature and you don't even think about it. plus, driving a manual is a lot more fun that an automatic because you feel like you're in more control of the car and you can drive faster. the only downside is sitting through damn rush hour traffic. especially in LA. ****ing hate LA traffic.

moral of the story? don't presume that i drive worse than you because of where i live.
(edited 13 years ago)

*sigh* my friend has a very old MANUAL VW and i drive it almost as much as my own AUTOMATIC car, and once you get used to driving a manual there really isn't that much of a difference as far as skill needed. it's all the matter of being confident in your ability to drive a manual, and after a while it all becomes second nature and you don't even think about it. plus, driving a manual is a lot more fun that an automatic because you feel like you're in more control of the car and you can drive faster. the only downside is sitting through damn rush hour traffic. especially in LA. ****ing hate LA traffic. pretty sure LA traffic is even worse than london traffic. yep...LA's population is 307,000,000 while London's population is 7,700,000 so pretty sure LA's traffic is worse.

moral of the story? don't presume that i drive worse than you because of where i live.

I would have to agree, automatic cars (though I take the piss out of them) still require skill to drive. Sure, you don't have to think about gears, but you *do* still have to think about hazards, rules, signs etc! The ambulances that the london ambulance service drive are automatic. It does NOT make them easy to drive, especially at high speed! Same with the cars.
Honestly, how is that even possible? It's not that freaking hard to drive. I mean, just think of the most idiotic adult you know. Do they have their license? If the answer is yes, which it most likely is, then how is it possible for people to fail their test two, three, four, five times?! I mean, I guess I can understand failing it one time if you're really nervous, but any more than that is pretty pathetic. Though, at least they're not passing people because that means less bad drivers out there.

Haha lol nice troll.

EDIT: just realised your american, that explains it all.
(edited 13 years ago)

*sigh* my friend has a very old MANUAL VW and i drive it almost as much as my own AUTOMATIC car.

But what did you do your test in?
When you are all nerves (like you will be during your test), then having that bit less to think / worry about can make all the difference.

And did you have to go around roundabouts?
(edited 13 years ago)
Lol here's good a good article about an experienced (40 years of driving) american driver trying to pass his test in the uk and failing 4 times! :rofl:

link: http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/The-Home-Forum/2008/1107/p19s05-hfes.html

Why can't yanks do roundabouts? or drive properly for that matter :ahee:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 137

*sigh* my friend has a very old MANUAL VW and i drive it almost as much as my own AUTOMATIC car, and once you get used to driving a manual there really isn't that much of a difference as far as skill needed. it's all the matter of being confident in your ability to drive a manual, and after a while it all becomes second nature and you don't even think about it. plus, driving a manual is a lot more fun that an automatic because you feel like you're in more control of the car and you can drive faster. the only downside is sitting through damn rush hour traffic. especially in LA. ****ing hate LA traffic. pretty sure LA traffic is even worse than london traffic. yep...LA's population is 307,000,000 while London's population is 7,700,000 so pretty sure LA's traffic is worse.

It's not about the size of the city, it's about... Ah, screw this, let's have drinks someday. You're buying :-)
Nerves durrr.

Learning to drive is in itself an easy task but under that kind of scrutiny the pressure affects how you do.

****ing hate LA traffic. pretty sure LA traffic is even worse than london traffic. yep...LA's population is 307,000,000 while London's population is 7,700,000 so pretty sure LA's traffic is worse.

Nice typo there :giggle:

OP, there aren't as many roundabouts in the USA as there are in the UK, which might explain why the UK driving test is "harder".

Latest

Trending

Trending