Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do people fail their driving tests more than once?! watch

ReputationRep:
    roundabouts are easy once you get used to them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salliana23)
    Nice typo there :giggle:

OP, there aren't as many roundabouts in the USA as there are in the UK, which might explain why the UK driving test is "harder".
    oh, dang! i would be really freaking scared if there were 307,000,000 people in LA alone. my bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fosters88)
    I passed first time with 3 minors.

I know one of my friends passed at fourth attempt.
    1st take = 2minors and 1 serious for hitting the kerb at 1-5mph whilst doing a parking manoeuvre due to nerves.
    2nd take = 2minors and 1 serious for hitting the kerb at 1-5mph whilst doing a parking manoeuvre due to nerves.
    3rd take = 4minors and 1 serious for hitting the kerb at 1-5mph whilst doing a parking manoeuvre due to nerves.
    4th take = 3minors and passed
    The first week of driving after passing his test he deliberately hit the kerb at 1-5mph every time he parked up and guess what NOTHING was endangered expect perhaps that ant that was walking along the side of the kerb!

You cannot generalise against attempts as you can see from the above description my friend was not a bad driver, in fact he is clearly a good driver with a bit of bad luck.

Let’s consider hitting a kerb as serious fault:
    1) Hitting the kerb at 1-5mph whilst doing a "parking" manoeuvre is not a serious fault as you expect to hit the kerb if you get the turning of the manoeuvre wrong, thus not dangerous as it is expected and should only become a serious if the error progresses and you do not react and go on to drive onto the pavement or whatever, YES?
    2) If you are in motion driving along a straight road at e.g. 30mph and have no intention of parking up, you therefore do not expect to hit the kerb. Thus if you do hit the kerb it is dangerous and should be considered a serious fault as you could lose control of the car and it was unexpected, YES?
    3) Similar to point 2, hitting the kerb at high speed is very serious as you are likely to bounce unpredictably.

It is totally obvious that point 1 only becomes serious if the error progresses BUT an Examiner will issue a serious fault for hitting the kerb regardless of the situation!
    I'm sure there are loads of other flaws in the way Examiners assess driving capabilities under different road scenarios!

I can see what you are trying to get at from your initial post; you'd have to look at an individual’s driving profile and their minor / serious faults to say if they are bad drivers and perhaps should not ever have a licence.
    A lot of people who fail tests do have the skills but fail due to nerves and pot-luck of road scenario etc, so attempts can build up.
    of course it's a serious fault. If you haven't even got enough control of the car to not hit the curb you don't deserve to be driving by yourself on the road imo...

ReputationRep:
    Trololololol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green chica)
    pretty sure LA traffic is even worse than london traffic. yep...LA's population is 307,000,000 while London's population is 7,700,000 so pretty sure LA's traffic is worse.
    LA's population is 3.8million. London's population is 7.7million. You may be thinking about Los Angeles county.

London's traffic is pretty bad because the city was build pre-motor car and the roads aren't really designed for driving. Most people living in London (except on the outskirts) don't bother having a car because it takes hours and because public transport is so good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fosters88)
    It is totally obvious that point 1 only becomes serious if the error progresses BUT an Examiner will issue a serious fault for hitting the kerb regardless of the situation!
    Sorry...wrong! It's not always a serious fault. It depends on the magnitude of the 'hit'. :confused:

However, the problem is that hitting the kerb demonstrates a lack of control of the car. Okay, in that situation it is not a problem, but a similar lack of control in another situation may be.

I wonder whether there is any correlation between those who hit the kerb on a reverse park and those who 'have a minor bump' with another car in a car park. I don't know, but the issue - accuracy in manoeuvering - seems to be the same. Is hitting a car in a car park deemed serious? I think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    LA's population is 3.8million. London's population is 7.7million. You may be thinking about Los Angeles county.

London's traffic is pretty bad because the city was build pre-motor car and the roads aren't really designed for driving. Most people living in London (except on the outskirts) don't bother having a car because it takes hours and because public transport is so good.
    This, the middle of london just isn't designed for driving. The outskirts are mostly fine, what doesn't help is the rediculous phasing of traffic lights that means no matter where you are you end up stopping at nearly every set!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma-Ashley)
    Sorry...wrong! It's not always a serious fault. It depends on the magnitude of the 'hit'. :confused:

However, the problem is that hitting the kerb demonstrates a lack of control of the car. Okay, in that situation it is not a problem, but a similar lack of control in another situation may be.

I wonder whether there is any correlation between those who hit the kerb on a reverse park and those who 'have a minor bump' with another car in a car park. I don't know, but the issue - accuracy in manoeuvering - seems to be the same. Is hitting a car in a car park deemed serious? I think so.
    I think, especially with hitting the kerb, the problem lies in that examiners can be so different in how they mark you down for it. Which examiner you have can have a huge impact on if you pass or not.

ReputationRep:
    My parents are exceptional drivers (and, for me to compliment them, it really means they deserve the compliment)
    arrogant ****.

ReputationRep:
    oh, and green chica, i got a dangerous in my second test. whatcha gonna doooo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma-Ashley)

Oh yeah, I forgot cars are only 3" tall. Wait a minute...

ReputationRep:
    because people are unlucky and sometimes get failed for stupid reasons such as their indicator didn't cancel and they didn't cancel it quick enough or a person reversing in front of them and the examiner putting the breaks on before they got the chance or because they were 'peeping and creeping' out of a junction and the examiner assumed they were going to go, i know people to fail for lots of silly reasons, you're a bit of an arrogant ar**hole for assuming that it's so easy

ReputationRep:
    oh, and hold on, are you from the US? that doesn't even count as driving, there are no roundabouts and you all drive automatic

ReputationRep:
    but, as a responsible and prepared driver you should be able to deal with those drivers easy-peasy. I mean, unless they're running straight towards you, but I don't think that happens very often. Sounds like an excuse to me.
    You obviously don't drive around Birmingham very often ... crazy driving!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    I think, especially with hitting the kerb, the problem lies in that examiners can be so different in how they mark you down for it. Which examiner you have can have a huge impact on if you pass or not.
    This very true. I hit the kerb twice in my last test (once when puling over on the side of the road, then tapped it gently in the 3 point turn). And had I not made an error further on with regards to something else, she said I would have passed

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.