Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

We Should Kill People to Meet Organ Demands :) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wafflemonster)
    There is a major shortage of Organs in the UK; as of 2010 10,500 people are on the transplant list; this number is increasing dramatically. I think that we should kill people with no quality of life or who are terminally ill or disabled for their organs.
    The Utilitarian approach is to create the greatest good for the greatest number even if this means killing people because this is the best for society.
    I also think animal organs should be used because animals are less important than humans and they deserve to die for our benefit. (We eat meat afterall).
    It would also be plausable to develop embryos to breed as potential organ donors, (like the film 'Never let me go'.)
    I believe that this is the only way forward to combat the shortage of Organs.
    Stephen Hawking is disabled. I supose you'd say his life has been useless? :rolleyes:

Idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Okay no, lets look at this seriously.

If you suggested to kiLL people for their organs then who are we looking at? Because to be honest, there are many people in society who are too useful or genuine to actually get rid of.

Then we have the chavs, but come on, who ACTUALLY would want their organs.
    - Liver would be f*cked
    - Lungs totally screwed
    - Heart, what heart?

No, lets not.

Besides, who would be left Old people? Nah. Not worth it really.

UNLESS you were gunna' suggest politicians.

ReputationRep:
    Who are we to put the value of one life above another?! Far too much like playing God for my liking.

For someone terminally ill those last few days or weeks with their loved ones is so special, particularly for the loved ones who will be left behind when the terminally ill person passes away. I myself have a disability, there's absolutely nothing wrong with my body except for my brain, but I love life and have so much to give to this world before I die yet. The idea of going on a indiscriminate killing spree is just sickening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    The opt out method would be superior to the opt in method, that way lethargy is a positive rather than a negative.

I still like my idea of "if you're not a donor you aren't entitled to someone else's organs if you need them". Exceptions of course for medical reasons, but I reckon that would massively increase those willing to donate.
    I don't think it will. The vast majority of people never need an organ, so those who are so against it they would opt-out are unlikely to agree to it (until they actually need one anyway).

I'd rather make it a legal requirement to donate your organs where feasible. Some will moan but I care more about saving lives than pandering to people's insane beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I'm classed as 'disabled' and what would make me better is a new heart transplant.
    What does that make me? Do i live or not?

I've worked every day of my life since I was 16, and before that had 2 paper rounds a week! I have a degree and I plan on having a successful career.
    A lot of my disabled friends are planning on going forward with careers of their own too. These people are no good to society, are they? :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    I don't think it will. The vast majority of people never need an organ, so those who are so against it they would opt-out are unlikely to agree to it (until they actually need one anyway).

I'd rather make it a legal requirement to donate your organs where feasible. Some will moan but I care more about saving lives than pandering to people's insane beliefs.
    However, it would be unethical to make it the law to donate organs after death. The main reason a lot of people say they do not agree with the opt out idea is that "the state does not own my body" to make donation law would cause revolt and the law would never be passed. I'm all for an opt out law, its about educating people against myths such as doctors getting bonuses for getting people to agree to donate, or doctors "letting" people die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hufflepuffer)
    You have mental issues. We'll just have a great purge of all disabled and terminally ill people, shall we? They have exactly the same rights as everyone else. Go **** yourself.
    I'd like to second this. Especially the bold bit.

ReputationRep:
    There is a major shortage of Organs in the UK; as of 2010 10,500 people are on the transplant list; this number is increasing dramatically. I think that we should kill people with no quality of life or who are terminally ill or disabled for their organs.
    The Utilitarian approach is to create the greatest good for the greatest number even if this means killing people because this is the best for society.
    I also think animal organs should be used because animals are less important than humans and they deserve to die for our benefit. (We eat meat afterall).
    It would also be plausable to develop embryos to breed as potential organ donors, (like the film 'Never let me go'.)
    I believe that this is the only way forward to combat the shortage of Organs.
    Someone been reading up on some J.S. Mill??

But you've failed to bring forward the FULL argument, hence why people who are not familiar with this wont get the right idea.

EDIT;

Actually re-reading your post - you've put forward the WRONG argument.
    Mill never mentioned the killing or disabled or terminally ill people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    However, it would be unethical to make it the law to donate organs after death. The main reason a lot of people say they do not agree with the opt out idea is that "the state does not own my body" to make donation law would cause revolt and the law would never be passed. I'm all for an opt out law, its about educating people against myths such as doctors getting bonuses for getting people to agree to donate, or doctors "letting" people die.
    Unethical to who? It's not unethical to me - well, less unethical than allowing viable organs to rot/burn while someone is slowly dying because of it.

I know I'm stating it in a matter-of-fact way but I would understand the objections. But again, I value life more than beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    Unethical to who? It's not unethical to me - well, less unethical than allowing viable organs to rot/burn while someone is slowly dying because of it.

I know I'm stating it in a matter-of-fact way but I would understand the objections. But again, I value life more than beliefs.
    May not be unethical to you, but its unethical to large groups of society. You may value life more than beliefs, however may people value their beliefs so much that they are willing to die for them. Could you imagine the uproar from people if the governement decided ok, were going to have everyones organs when they die, from now on your just body part farms for those who's organs are knackered?

At the moment organs go to waste that could be used, whether thats people who never made their wishes clear enough prior to their death or their family decide against donation at the point of brain stem death because they are overwhelmed by grief that they go against their loved ones wishes. an overhaul of current policies and education of the public would result in there being people making clearer deceisions and more organs becoming available IMO.

ReputationRep:
    That does not even many any sense.

There is little research into xenotransplantation (animal - human transplants) and there have been very few successful cases of it. Just because a pig has a heart does not mean it can be jammed into us easily.

I think you need to think about your whole theory a little better and also learn that starting every word with a capital letter does not make you look any smarter than you already do not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    May not be unethical to you, but its unethical to large groups of society. You may value life more than beliefs, however may people value their beliefs so much that they are willing to die for them. Could you imagine the uproar from people if the governement decided ok, were going to have everyones organs when they die, from now on your just body part farms for those who's organs are knackered?

At the moment organs go to waste that could be used, whether thats people who never made their wishes clear enough prior to their death or their family decide against donation at the point of brain stem death because they are overwhelmed by grief that they go against their loved ones wishes. an overhaul of current policies and education of the public would result in there being people making clearer deceisions and more organs becoming available IMO.
    Yes that would go down better with the public but I'm clearly not as patient as you!

I see refusing to donate organs as akin to manslaughter - regardless of whether they have some weird religious/spiritual belief on the matter. As such, I have no tolerance towards it. You can see it as turning people into "body part farms" if you want, but that's hardly the case.

I know my system of ethics doesn't correspond with the majority, but that doesn't necessarily make it wrong. I think it's incredibly unethical to torture and butcher animals for example, whereas the majority think its fine to do that (they may say otherwise, but they don't follow it up with action) - doesn't make it ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milky Milk)
    That does not even many any sense.

There is little research into xenotransplantation (animal - human transplants) and there have been very few successful cases of it. Just because a pig has a heart does not mean it can be jammed into us easily.

I think you need to think about your whole theory a little better and also learn that starting every word with a capital letter does not make you look any smarter than you already do not.
    I'm not sticking up for their opinion, but they haven't capitalised every first letter in each word...

ReputationRep:
    OR when you are 18 you have to officially make the decision of whether to donate your organs in the event of death and if you don't then you cannot recieve any. Longterm solution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinamon)
    OR when you are 18 you have to officially make the decision of whether to donate your organs in the event of death and if you don't then you cannot recieve any. Longterm solution.
    High five, like minded individual.

ReputationRep:
    Assisted suicide isn't even legal yet mate. Although I suppose it could go hand in hand, to some extent.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sticking up for their opinion, but they haven't capitalised every first letter in each word...
    In the Title.. Apart from the word 'to' of course.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want no retard organs .

ReputationRep:
    As someone else has mentioned, a lot of people are terminally ill or disabled precisly because they need an organ donation, so your argument is a little bit contradictory.

And as a few people have said, I also agree with automatically opting into organ donation.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, people should stop being lazy and just take the minute to register as an organ donor.

However, I must note we are killing enough people as it is. Foreign people, mind, so they don't count apparently.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.