Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A2 Edexcel Coursework Part A Crime and Punishment help watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey

For my part a short term significance and sources(!!!!!) essay I am assessing the significance of Jack the Ripper on crime and punishment from 1888 to 1908. I've got some sources but I'm really struggling to write it! If anyone has any tips on how to write source essays I would very much appreciate hearing them!!! (If you haven't guessed I hate sources with a passion and they confuse me :confused: )

Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    Take a similar approach to any other essay.
    Start with an introduction - include a secondary source quite which sums up the general belief (like what the ripper did, or if anybody has said he changed/altered crime and punishment).
    Then explain the general agreement/disagreement in secondary sources, and contemporary sources. You need to build like a criteria for your argument.

Then, it is just focus on the significance, constantly linking this to your question.
    You could split it into positive change and negative change, but your sources will guide you.

When writing, weave in source details. (Im making this up)
    E.G In source 4, there is a clear implication that Jack the Ripper impacted greatly on the crime and punishment system in the UK. From the quote "..." we can infer that..... That said, as this source featured in a typically unsympathetic newspaper, this view is not ony likely to represent the views of the editor, but will also aim to display the Ripper in a negative manner.

So there you have the POINT, QUOTE, EXPLANATION & PROVENANCE.

I hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!!!

That does help.... surprisingly I'm really good at knowledge based questions it's just sources that baffle me. That seems like a good structure though...now to rewrite part A.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.