Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry if this question has a really obvious answer but I tried searching and couldn't find anything.

I'm in my second year and get the minimum level of maintenance loan which doesn't take into account my household income. In years 1 and 2, this has been £3564. I've just seen my letter from student finance and the amount they're lending me next year is £3300. I have no idea why it's been reduced - I thought maybe it's because I'm going into my final year, but if anything I need more, not less money next year because any savings I came to university with are rapidly declining and though I work, I still rely on the money from that loan to help me with rent etc. I assumed I would be getting the same amount for all three years.

Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    i'm going into my third year and getting 3564... maybe ring them up and ask what's going on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolh5000)
    I'm sorry if this question has a really obvious answer but I tried searching and couldn't find anything.

I'm in my second year and get the minimum level of maintenance loan which doesn't take into account my household income. In years 1 and 2, this has been £3564. I've just seen my letter from student finance and the amount they're lending me next year is £3300. I have no idea why it's been reduced - I thought maybe it's because I'm going into my final year, but if anything I need more, not less money next year because any savings I came to university with are rapidly declining and though I work, I still rely on the money from that loan to help me with rent etc. I assumed I would be getting the same amount for all three years.

Any ideas?
    It is correct.
    In your final year you are only financed up to the end of the exams.
    In years 1 and 2 you were financed to the start of the new university year.
    So you get less than in previous years.
    I'll bet the previous post isn't doing a 3 year degree.

ReputationRep:
    Just read the letter again, and apparently missed the part that said 'Because you are going into your final year of study your student finance entitlement may be less than it was last year' .

Kind of annoyed because I don't really see how being in my final year means I need less money - I still have exactly the same number of weeks in university. I suppose you could argue that it excludes the summer holidays, but my loan has usually run out by the summer holidays anyway.

I might give them a ring jsut to check, especially if other people are still getting the full amount in their third year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    It is correct.
    In your final year you are only financed up to the end of the exams.
    In years 1 and 2 you were financed to the start of the new university year.
    So you get less than in previous years.
    I'll bet the previous post isn't doing a 3 year degree.
    Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking. Annoying though.

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    You get a student loan while you are at uni. After your final exams you are no longer at uni.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.