Turn on thread page Beta

On the Graduate Scrapheap - 23 with a 1:1 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    We need to close down the Universities, too many people that shouldn't be there in the first place. AAA should be the MINIMUM required grade to get into University.

****ed up in your A-Levels? Tough ****. Should have done better. Life isn't about 'second chances' and 'mitigating circumstances' you ****ing bunch of hippy ******s.

The benefits of this are clear:

> Less graduates moaning about 'not getting work' boohoo
    > Less ***** trying to sell insurance to each other.
    > Less 'graduate recruitment consultants'
    > Hopefully the end of the 6 month long applications to get a 'graduate job'
    > Better standard of University, will inevitably cost the taxpayer less; and still produce as many top calibre employees, not just a load of washed up grads who roll into banking... yawn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowhand87)
    I would like to know if anyone has a similar experience to me or can offer any pearls of wisdom.

I graduated last year with a 1:1 in an engineering degree and am currently studying a MSc at a well regarded university. With my MSc due to finish in Sept this year I decided several months ago to start applying for graduate schemes (both engineering and non) and also normal (non-grad) jobs that suit my degree.

However 6 months and around 40 applications later, I have made one assessment centre and had around 39 rejections. I have been searching for the answers to why this has happened and now it appears that companies only care about A levels!

I thought that recruiters would clambering to interview me because of my past.

MY ACADEMIC+WORK RECORD

- Studying MSc at World Renowned University
    - First Class Honours Degree - Engineering
    -7 Years working part time for a multinational IT Retailer (Technical, Customer Service and Sales Experience)
    -Started and ran my own E-Commerce site for 2 years

I have worked nearly 20hrs per week since I was 16 whilst studying at University and I thought that these attributes would propel me into great job.

However it appears that I am being punished for my academic record from 5 years ago. My A-Level results were C,D,E in IT,Maths and Physics. Admittedly these are very poor however I did not work hard enough and realised when starting my degree that I needed to improve.

When applying for graduate schemes, most required a numerical test of which I always past. I have considered retaking my A-Levels however it seems that organisations do not accept A Level retakes.

Most companies ask for at least 280 UCAS point however I have under 200 and am being punished for my record 5 years ago. My MSc is also irrelevant due to my college results.

Having just found out that a friend of mine who obtained a 2:1 at similar ranked University but obtained 360 UCAS points has just been offered an Investment Banking position with a part time MBA degree it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth (considering that he has never has a long term job)

So...at 23 with what I thought was a very good CV 6 months ago, has now meant that I cannot find employment and no grad-schemes will even listen to me.

Anyone thinking of going to Uni without 3 A/B A-Levels DO NOT BOTHER AND WASTE THE TIME AND MONEY -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0hjSaYCRnA

Seriously, that sucks. I don't think everyone will be so short-sighted though! Perhaps try sending emails directly not via the whole normal channels and explain your situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fourskin)
    We need to close down the Universities, too many people that shouldn't be there in the first place. AAA should be the MINIMUM required grade to get into University.

****ed up in your A-Levels? Tough ****. Should have done better. Life isn't about 'second chances' and 'mitigating circumstances' you ****ing bunch of hippy ******s.

The benefits of this are clear:

> Less graduates moaning about 'not getting work' boohoo
    > Less ***** trying to sell insurance to each other.
    > Less 'graduate recruitment consultants'
    > Hopefully the end of the 6 month long applications to get a 'graduate job'
    > Better standard of University, will inevitably cost the taxpayer less; and still produce as many top calibre employees, not just a load of washed up grads who roll into banking... yawn
    I have an idea!

How about we create "special" Universities, just for people like you. Where a whole multitude of ignorant people can rant all day long and live a life of blissfull ignorance paid for by Daddy.

ReputationRep:
    hi well all i can say is that recruiters are idiots! and dont knowck yourself its a tough in world of work at moment for everyone and eventually you will get a break even if you have to widen your search critereia a bit............. you know what other things could you do?

try direct applicatons to companies who need your talents ............

keep you chin up it will come good

good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonesy12)
    I have an idea!

How about we create "special" Universities, just for people like you. Where a whole multitude of ignorant people can rant all day long and live a life of blissfull ignorance paid for by Daddy.
    I'd rather have rich parents paying for education as opposed to the current 'loan' system. Universities can cater for the academically gifted (not ABB students) and the super rich, who can afford a better life.

You jelly of the rich, brah?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fourskin)
    I'd rather have rich parents paying for education as opposed to the current 'loan' system. Universities can cater for the academically gifted (not ABB students) and the super rich, who can afford a better life.

You jelly of the rich, brah?
    Jelly of the rich? No. I had the option to go to private school, not for me. Stop acting like a "Rah" and grow up, K?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    No you didn't, no such thing, i do hope this isn't on your CV's and such.

And you go into a 'well regarded university'with these grades, how?

Thats just silly, your grades were WELL below getting say, CCC, which your saying you shouldnt bother with. Your mistake , not everyone else's.
    If you'd actually read properly, he said that he'd obtained a first class undergraduate degree. The MSc is a postgraduate course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonesy12)
    Jelly of the rich? No. I had the option to go to private school, not for me. Stop acting like a "Rah" and grow up, K?
    Grow up? Never.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 28, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.