Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

should i relocate to sweden with the rest of my family? watch

ReputationRep:
    im in a real rut here. im torn between staying in england with my great aunt or relocating to sweden for a better quality of life. im 16 years old and currently studying for my GCSEs and my family would like to relocate after my exams during the summer. however i've already applied for sixth form and i want to remain in england and so my A Levels and get a job and live with my great aunt. my mum keeps persuading me to come with her because there are more jobs and life is better in sweden compared to britain today. and she does have a point i mean there are hardly any jobs out there especially for the 16-24 year old age group and what with the budget cuts and job losses. so is it a good idea for me to relocate to sweden and study on there? i personally don't mind relocating there if it means i get a better life than i currently do in britain.

ReputationRep:
    hi

i was in a very similar situation to this a year ago. my family (with whom i have always been inseparable) had decided to relocate back to the north of england, were i we had lived for two years when i was doing my GCSEs. i absolutely hated it there, and couldnt face the thought of going back, but on the other hand, i loved my family more than anything, and couldn't imagine living without them. i also love the south of england and knew that i would get a much better education here. in the end i decided to stay in the south with my grandparents, and i do not regret this for a second.

i obviously cannot answer for you, but my advice would be to trust your instincts, do whatever you think is going to make you most happy, and do not be swayed by the opinions of anyone else involved.

although it was really hard at first, it has been a truly liberating and empowering experience because i took control of, and responsibility for, my own life. i also knew that in the long-run, getting a good education (something that i have always valued above all else) while i had the chance, would be more beneficial than staying with my family, who, after all, will always be my family.

i hope this helps, and i hope that you make the right choice, good luck

P.S. if i was in your situation, i would be tempted to move to Sweden as i probably value a good quality of life as much as a good education (although my reasoning is that a good education is supposed to lead to a better quality of life). plus, you wouldn't have to leave your family, and it would be an adventure. besides, no experience is a bad experience provided that you learn something from it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Sweden looks epic.

ReputationRep:
    I was in kind of the same situation as well after GCSEs. I stayed where I was with my dad while the rest of my family moved and it was a hard decision. It's also hard to justify it, there are advantages and disadvantages to each choice so I would recommend that you go with your gut instinct. No one can really advise you either way tbh, your family are going to be biased and from experience, they will get angry and it's likely there will be a few arguments. I can't say I regret it, I've become a lot more responsible in general and had a better education. Good luck with whatever you decide though

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, undergrad and postgrad are all free there. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would love to be in that situation. If you ever decide to move back to England, you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christine Sing)
    As far as I know, undergrad and postgrad are all free there. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would love to be in that situation. If you ever decide to move back to England, you can.
    I heard that too. Apparently it's not just for your first degree either, you can just keep going back and doing more degrees and the government pays for it. That must be an exaggeration, but clearly education is much cheaper there.

Although the guy that told me this for some reason prefers it here in the UK to Sweden (he's Swedish).

Is there a particular reason you want to stay here? Friends? Just because it feels like home? Sounds to me like the opportunities in Sweden are better, in terms of education at least, and probably jobs too depending on what area you want to work in.

ReputationRep:
    This is just my experience, but anyhow...

My family moved abroad when I was sixteen (Switzerland) and I have to say at the time I didn't feel like I was in any position not to go with them. I certainly don't think I'd have coped on my own in the UK and the whole point of us moving there was to be more together as a family (my dad had been commuting for a couple of years because he couldn't find work in the UK at the time and we were all sick of it).

I loved living in a different country, how stunningly beautiful it was, that things worked and worked well (I miss swiss trains and clean streets and waking up to an incredible view of the mountain at the end of the valley...can't wait until the summer holidays when I get to go back ) but it didn't come without it's problems.

I think everyone in our family struggled a bit especially to begin with; my mum found it hard to make friends until she managed to get a job, the local education people took so long trying to place my sister who was 14 at the time in a school my parents ended up having to send her to an international school, which was an hour away on the train, and my little brother and sister got literally thrown in at the deep end at their local school (they were ten).

For some of us it's worked out, for some of us it hasn't. My sister ended up going to boarding school in the UK to do A-levels because she didn't want to do the IB, and we're both now at uni in the UK (I just had lots of things go wrong for me; I think the main impact being abroad had though was that when things did go wrong, my parents couldn't help me with what options I had because they didn't know; in fact the main reason I've come to uni in the UK is because I'd decided I wanted to study a science at uni and could do a foundation year here to be able to do that-I didn't have any sort of option like that in Switzerland, it's just not that flexible there). I think my little brother and sister and my parents are likely to live there for a long time though, my younger siblings were only 10 when we moved so they're now 17 and fluent in the language and have lots of friends etc; it's been easier for my parents to make friends as well because they can get together with other people with families and meet people at work (and they both work where English is the main language) so it's working out for them as well. I do still love it there though; I regret a few things to do with choices I made etc, but I don't think I regret one bit that we moved there.

I think I'd agree with the suggestion that you can always try it and if you change your mind you can come back. It'll be difficult either way, living with another relative in the UK while the rest of your family live elsewhere will be just as hard as moving somewhere new.

The main things you need to consider though are

a) language. Even when people say 'everyone speaks English' not knowing anything of the language will a barrier.

b) your education. You haven't mentioned where you'd study; would you be suited to the curricululm? If everything didn't go quite right, what would your options be? (for example, if after you finished school/college at 18 you decided you wanted to a do something different than what you'd planned, how easy would it be to change?)

c) if you do decide to come back, how hard/easy will it be to try and get your life on track on your own in the UK without your immediate family close by to support you?

ReputationRep:
    Get your ass over there, right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilmissyox)
    im in a real rut here. im torn between staying in england with my great aunt or relocating to sweden for a better quality of life. im 16 years old and currently studying for my GCSEs and my family would like to relocate after my exams during the summer. however i've already applied for sixth form and i want to remain in england and so my A Levels and get a job and live with my great aunt. my mum keeps persuading me to come with her because there are more jobs and life is better in sweden compared to britain today. and she does have a point i mean there are hardly any jobs out there especially for the 16-24 year old age group and what with the budget cuts and job losses. so is it a good idea for me to relocate to sweden and study on there? i personally don't mind relocating there if it means i get a better life than i currently do in britain.
    I am not sure if you are originally a native of Sweden, however I have read that it can be difficult to find work if you are not Swedish. I think there was a thread some time ago on "The Local" (Swedish news etc in English) that discussed the issue. I spend most of my holidays in Sweden (holiday house) but have no direct experience of the employment market beyond what I have read, so it may be that such articles/discussions are not an accurate description of reality.

I do know that some Swedish schools teach virtually all their classes in English (my neighbour's daughter attends such a school) and I think people leave school for University at a later age.

This link to The Local may be useful

www.thelocal.se

ReputationRep:
    Similar situation.

My parents are moving to Bulgaria and I was planning initially on going to an American style university in Bulgaria that has English as its first language and basically American in the grades it gives out, plus I would have had to sit SAT's and so on.

http://www.aubg.bg/

The reason I stayed was because the ranking of the university itself was lower than any of my options in the UK and the cost of the course was more as it was American run, rather than classed as an EU institution, therefore I'd get classed as an international student.

I love it over there in most ways and the amount of people that have the wrong view of how it is over there is unbelievable. Everyone I speak to thinks its cold, dangerous and that you're likely to get attacked by the Mafia. Its nothing like that at all.

The Mafia only bother with other Mafia members to gain control of the illegal trade that goes on between Bulgaria and almost every other country in the UK. Yes, believe it or not, even the UK has its issues when it comes to child trafficking and so on.

The weather is absolutely amazing. You have cold snowy winters and boiling hot summers. Girls can walk around early hours of the morning from doing a shift in a hotel without being verbally abused by drunken idiots throwing sexual propositions their way. Families seem to have a closer bond and be more orientated around each other. People seem to be more polite and the views and landscape are amazing.

The only thing that stopped me going was the educational system, which is improving due to EU funding but its still obviously not on par with the UK. Given that I get loans here to help me with my studies then I thought it was more worthwhile financially to stay and gain an education and then I'll leave.

Seriously, seeing as the educational system in Sweden is good and its free then I would move there without a seconds thought. I would have gone to Bulgaria had the education system been better.

Another good thing is the cost of living is extremely cheap in Bulgaria, the property is cheap and I suppose you'll also get more value for money in the property sector in Sweden. Here's just one place.

http://www.viviun.com/AD-161154/

Not bad for £55,000.

If I was in your position I would go. Once I've graduated I'll be going anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Sweden right now and i have since i was born, i'm leaving Sweden for uni in Brittan this summer.
    I'd just like to say that yes education is free, as many degrees as you'd like to do and there is nothing wrong with the education. The problem is though that if you would ever like to go beck to England your degrees will be seriously questioned.

Also moving to Sweden for job opportunities sound weird as the market goes up and down all the time in all countries and it's sort of **** right now in Sweden anyway, and now with the new government being all stupid.. i dunno. Although some businesses are flourishing like for example IT or different tradesmen-ships.

Also obviously the language is an issue if you dont speak swedish but we do have some english schools and then the international baccalaureate.

Well i feel like iv given this whole thing a bit of a negative feel and i really don't mean too I'm just trying to say that going to Sweden is a great choice if your planning to stay but if you'll end up going back in a few years id rather do it after uni. (as you have an education that wont be questioned, on either side)

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I wouldn't base your decision on the state of the job market in the UK.

Both countries have almost the same unemployment rate at the moment (Sweden 7.6%, UK 7.8%), and despite what the media try to make you believe, its actually quite a low rate compared to other countries. The fact that your only 16 and still at school makes it irrelevent anyway since we're still in a recession and the private sector UK jobs market and economy is forecast to grow in a few years.

You also failed to grasp that Sweden was also hit by the global recession so things aren't exactly great there economically at the moment either. Sweden's GDP growth fell by 5.1% last year which is very similar to the UK (-4.9%) so you can't justify moving based on the economy.

Also say you did move, how easy will it be for you to find a job if you don't even speak the local language?

Secondly, the quality of life argument isn't great either. Sweden is known for its good social security, but you pay for that via much higher taxes! While Sweden is generally a beautiful country, the weather is worse than the UK and depending on where you live it can be much less vibrant and more boring than the UK. There are a lot of people from Nordic countries that migrate to the UK for this reason.

ReputationRep:
    Life quality is somewhat better in my opinion but there are a lot of pros and cons and when it comes down to it I think they are pretty much similar. But the job thing is not really true... there are very very very few jobs for young people below 25 and not looking for a fulltime job... I live in Sweden so yeah, a couple of weeks ago I saw a documentary that was made very recently and the story has been repeated in the news about how young people from 18-25 go to Norway to find a job and even take those lowpaying jobs in factories because there are no jobs whatsoever for them here in Sweden. 10 people live in a flat that was made for 3 people.. so yeah. I dunno who said it was easier to get a job but just to clarify it might not be as easy as you think. If you don't know the language or haven't been here before it will be a bit different too and depends on where you are going, a little town or a big one and so on. Even though the culture is somewhat similar since it is still western society there are differences that you'd have to adjust to. So yeah.. I've lived in Sweden all my life (19 years) and I've visited my cousins in London every year since I was 9 so yeah.

So that is my input, I dunno if you should stay with your aunt or move to Sweden I just wanted to say that the situation here regarding jobs isn't as you seem to believe...or at least not where I live in Sweden..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamaman)
    Firstly, I wouldn't base your decision on the state of the job market in the UK.

Both countries have almost the same unemployment rate at the moment (Sweden 7.6%, UK 7.8%), and despite what the media try to make you believe, its actually quite a low rate compared to other countries. The fact that your only 16 and still at school makes it irrelevent anyway since we're still in a recession and the private sector UK jobs market and economy is forecast to grow in a few years.

You also failed to grasp that Sweden was also hit by the global recession so things aren't exactly great there economically at the moment either. Sweden's GDP growth fell by 5.1% last year which is very similar to the UK (-4.9%) so you can't justify moving based on the economy.

Also say you did move, how easy will it be for you to find a job if you don't even speak the local language?

Secondly, the quality of life argument isn't great either. Sweden is known for its good social security, but you pay for that via much higher taxes! While Sweden is generally a beautiful country, the weather is worse than the UK and depending on where you live it can be much less vibrant and more boring than the UK. There are a lot of people from Nordic countries that migrate to the UK for this reason.
    Great points made.. and our government is pretty messed up at the moment too.. But I would say uni here is better, and the high taxes do show results. E.g. uni here is for free..I only have to pay for course literature, accommodation etc. and the student finance is pretty awesome too :yep:

though yes there are pros and cons too, and as you say very similar to the UK and it will be very difficult settling in etc.

The bold text I agree with completely! Incredibly true! Though some are content and love living here I personally wanna get away from here, though during my gap year I have started seeing parts of the beauty, especially the uni.. My uni is to die for! :coma:
    But yes a lot of people move to the UK or preferably to New York :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MizzCupcakes)
    Great points made.. and our government is pretty messed up at the moment too.. But I would say uni here is better, and the high taxes do show results. E.g. uni here is for free..I only have to pay for course literature, accommodation etc. and the student finance is pretty awesome too :yep:

though yes there are pros and cons too, and as you say very similar to the UK and it will be very difficult settling in etc.

The bold text I agree with completely! Incredibly true! Though some are content and love living here I personally wanna get away from here, though during my gap year I have started seeing parts of the beauty, especially the uni.. My uni is to die for! :coma:
    But yes a lot of people move to the UK or preferably to New York :rolleyes:
    What uni are you at? (just curious)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elisabeth)
    What uni are you at? (just curious)
    Lund University :coma: :coma: :coma: :sogood: :dance: :nutcase: :jive: :ahee:

so you considered our points now, I hope?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely move to Sweden. My family moved to Switzerland when I was 16 and I wasn't even given a choice to stay back at my home country. I hated the idea of moving at first but now(5 years later) I think it is the best thing that has happened to me. You will have the opportunity to do the IB, which, in my opinion, is a much better option than A levels and more appreciated in the international community. If you want to go to university in Sweden, it will be free but you can always come to uni in England if you want to. Living in a different country is always hard at first but it is also rewarding. If you don't speak swedish you can take some swedish classes, the basics are really easy to learn. Plus it will only be a few years, you will meet lots of new people so I don't think you would really miss out on anything that goes on in the UK. well parties with friends and all that but you get used to it, moving away really shows who your true friends are because either your friends will make the effort to stay in touch with you or they won't.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.