Turn on thread page Beta

Accounting Or Actuary??????? Accounting and Finance Or Mathematics?????? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently at uni studying pharmacy (1styear) but I realised its not what I want to do and because I am still young (18) I have applied for accounting and finance at mmu and also mathematics at mmu. Really hoping I get an offer for accounting and finance, as I have the entry requirements already. But If I dont get accounting and finance I will probably do mathematics.

How many exemptions do you get from actuary exams If I were to do mathematics? would it be less than what I would get if I were to do a degree like actuarial science?

If I do accounting and finance at mmu I get the full exemptions from papers F1 to F9, and they offer a 1year course after you graduate from the 3/4 year accounting and finance course to do the last examinations needed aswell as to gain an MSc. The course seems perfect for me. I know that you need 3years work experience on top of passing the exams to qualify to ACCA. If I were to do the 4year course with industrial experience and then leave MMU having an MSc degree, passing all my ACCA exams and with 1year experience, would it be easy for me to gain the 2years experience left that I need? What are the best places to apply?

I know Im thinking wayyy ahead but I just wanna be sure about everything.

Thanks in advance guys

ReputationRep:
    None, you're thick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gary_D1993)
    None, you're thick.
    If your not gonna answer my questions dont bother commenting on my thread yeah.

ReputationRep:
    MMU = Manchester Met right?

You can't get any exemptions from the actuarial exams from any of their courses as far as I'm aware. You can always check on the professions site and/or send an email!

Actuarial and Accounting is somewhat different professions that will require different "types" of skills and abilities. I'm not knowledgable on either to give you the pros/cons so its best to research both yourself.

The exemptions you get for ACCA if you were to study accounting and finance sounds quite good actually. The only tough part is actually managing to get a job coz you will be qualified (virtually) on paper but with 0 experience.

ReputationRep:
    MMY = Manchester Met????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????

Maths wont provide you with any exemptions but plenty of ???????????????????????????????? because you seem to be missing a few from the end of your questions.

ReputationRep:
    Im afriad you wont get any exemptions from the actuarial profession with going to MMU despite the fact you are doing maths!

If i were you I would do maths, why? well simply its rated as a top degree, alot better than A&F if you personally ask me and as well as that you can become an actuary or accountant with doing a maths degree, and doing a maths degree will help you with the exams later alot better than actuarial exams.

Easier to teach a maths grad finance, than a finance grad maths ( in terms of actuarial related maths)

ReputationRep:
    If you definitely want to be an accountant, then it's a no brainer to do Accs+Finance, simply because it will make studying for the ACA or whatever body you go with a lot easier. However if you're not committed to Accounting then do Maths because it's more respected generally.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys. I've decided I want to become an accountant but the problem is im deciding whether I want to do that extra year added on to finish my exams and get an MSc or apply for graduate programs at different firms. Applying at graduate firms would be alot better because I would gain the 3 years work experience I need to qualify, but for some reason the extra year at MMU still sounds appealing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knowslian)
    MMU = Manchester Met right?

You can't get any exemptions from the actuarial exams from any of their courses as far as I'm aware. You can always check on the professions site and/or send an email!

Actuarial and Accounting is somewhat different professions that will require different "types" of skills and abilities. I'm not knowledgable on either to give you the pros/cons so its best to research both yourself.

The exemptions you get for ACCA if you were to study accounting and finance sounds quite good actually. The only tough part is actually managing to get a job coz you will be qualified (virtually) on paper but with 0 experience.
    Yes manchester met. If I were to take the acountting and finance degree with one year industrial placement, and also do that year on top to do my ACCA exams, do you think I could easily get a job? or do you think its best that I do a 3 year graduate program after I graduate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by run123)
    Yes manchester met. If I were to take the acountting and finance degree with one year industrial placement, and also do that year on top to do my ACCA exams, do you think I could easily get a job? or do you think its best that I do a 3 year graduate program after I graduate?
    tbf, the decision is completely upto you. We TSRers can only give you advice whether good or bad; the final call is yours to make!

Doing a maths degree is a well regarding choice. Which can pretty much get you into most of the financial, insurance, business jobs etc, provided you achieve at least a 2:1. Although it is likely MMU don't get any exemptions for any of the professional bodies qualifications.

Doing the A&F degree is a very specific subject (i.e. like actuarial science) which is ideal for going into specific A&F related jobs. You mentioned the exemptions which are going to be a plus! You got to think though, after 3/4 years will you still want to go into an A&F job? As this degree choice may pigeon-hole you in the job market. Alas going back to the "more" opportunities to be had with a maths degree.

Finally, having the opportunity to get industrial experience is a massive boost for your CV. Especially if its relevant to the area you want to end up! Internships are also something to consider, although they extremely competitive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by run123)
    if your not gonna answer my questions dont bother commenting on my thread yeah.
    alright blad.

ReputationRep:
    tbf, the decision is completely upto you. We TSRers can only give you advice whether good or bad; the final call is yours to make!

Doing a maths degree is a well regarding choice. Which can pretty much get you into most of the financial, insurance, business jobs etc, provided you achieve at least a 2:1. Although it is likely MMU don't get any exemptions for any of the professional bodies qualifications.

Doing the A&F degree is a very specific subject (i.e. like actuarial science) which is ideal for going into specific A&F related jobs. You mentioned the exemptions which are going to be a plus! You got to think though, after 3/4 years will you still want to go into an A&F job? As this degree choice may pigeon-hole you in the job market. Alas going back to the "more" opportunities to be had with a maths degree.

Finally, having the opportunity to get industrial experience is a massive boost for your CV. Especially if its relevant to the area you want to end up! Internships are also something to consider, although they extremely competitive!
    yeah your right, thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Just to let you know, with the ACCA Qualification, you have to complete three years relevant work experience before you can qualify. You can find out more about this and other elements at http://www2.accaglobal.com/ukgraduates/qualification/#2.
    Hope this helps,
    Laura
    (ACCA Official Representative)

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone..
    I choose to do Business and Accounts at college next year
    because I want to work in business sector and also
    do not want to do A levels ..but now feel very uncomfortable because I know
    that I am not doing mathematics next year (
    I really enjoy maths , and got perfect grades, and think I should really do it. (
    Need some advise ..
    When I finish my Business and Accounts Diploma can I move on and do some Further Mathematics e.g at university or stay at same college
    Or I should really choice Maths now and then move on to do Accountancy : (
    Help Much Appreciated )

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.