Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm sure plenty of people must post on here about this, but im due to start university in September and I'm beginning to get cold feet.
    It's not that I don't want to go to uni, because I do. But the course that I really want to do what isn't of the academic type and my parents don't approve, so I've applied to do something else instead. I'm not super smart, but I'm looking at ABB grades in my A-Levels and my parents think that by doing what I want I would be wasting by abilities.
    It's not that I don't want to do this course new course either, because I do enjoy it. But it isn't what I really want to do and can see myself still working with in 20 years time. And now changing my mind is going to cost me an extra £4500 a year! Help or advice anyone?

It's a difficult situation, but I do think you have to follow your heart when it comes to your career to avoid being miserable 5 days a week. The non-academic course doesn't necessarily mean you'll be wasted, if anything you'll give more in a job you love to do.

Speak to your parents and explain what you've said here, they may well feel differently if they know how you can't see a future in their academic course.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Like 'MovingOn' said above.

It's really about what you want to do in life. The matter of it being wasted is subjective, to be honest. If you do the so called academic course and then ended up not knowing how to use what you have learned from that degree in real life, as you said that you can't even see yourself doing it in the next 20 years. Then it will be wasted.

However, if you do what you think you are really good at and it is what you like. You will be motivated to the learning and therefore 3 years at uni won't be a disaster for you. If you care really passionate about it and think it's going to get you somewhere then this wont be wasted.

So whether it is wasted or not really depend son what you got from it and what you do with it at the end of the day.

I understand about the finance things, tuition fees are rising next year. If you really want to do it, then maybe apply through clearing? It's risky, though, plus you might not get the place and it might not be at the best uni for the course. So yeah, very risky. But if it all goes well, you won't have to pay the increased fees.

But hey, speak to your parents. Tell them what you just told us.

Wish you all the best.

I personally think that uni helps to give you the best poossible job opportunities. We're realistically living in an age where without a degree, you don't compete with those who do. Whilst I think that getting a degree can seem pointless because they're terribly common, going to uni itself is an experience. Moving out and finding new friends is something that uni encourages, so try it! If you don't like it, you don't have to stick with it if you don't feel happy! What's teh worst that could happen?
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    What your parents want is irrelevant, make the choice based on what you want to do. You will have one life and you should try and spend it doing something you want to do.

Ugh, I hate when parents get involved like this, thankfully mine are not like that. It's YOUR life, not theirs. Ultimately, they just want you to be happy in what you're doing. Tell them doing the course YOU want to do will make you most happy, and that you're passionate about it more than the other. At the end of the day, its your choice. Not everything you do in life your parents will agree with.

What is it you want to study and what degree have you got a place on (and where)?

I understand the pressure you get from parents - and I think others sometimes underestimate this because they never experienced it themselves. I know my parents wouldn't be overly happy if I went to study for a non-academic degree; fortunately, it was my decision to study Law.

However, you have to consider the fact that your degree more or less determines the next 40-50 years of your life, so you have to be sure about what you want to do. Convincing parents can be hard, but try to be mature about it and don't blame them for wanting you to do something academic because it'll just make tensions worse.

Also, try speaking to a careers' adviser/teacher at your school. They may be able to give you some advice on how to best tackle you parents about this issue and will support you if you can't win your parents around by yourself.

As for the tuition fees, yes it is a bit awkward but this is the situation you're in, so you have to think sensibly and just get on with it. At the end of the day, I guess you have to decide whether an extra £13,500 is worth paying to secure your future happiness? Remember that you probably won't succeed doing a degree you don't enjoy or regret choosing, so going for the academic subject could backfire on you.

I'd say try talking to your parents about it. If that fails, get a teacher/careers adviser involved and think seriously about what you really want to do, without any external influence.

Good luck

EDIT: I've just had a thought: you could always try applying through UCAS Extra because I think you can change your personal statement, so you'd be able to start afresh. That would be a good way of avoiding the tuition fees.
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.