Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    To try and shorten a very long story, my friends and I booked a holiday together but fairly soon after we all had a very large falling out with a particular girl which had been brewing for months (if not years, in the case of people who had known her longer). She's no longer speaking to us and has decided to not go on the holiday. We tried our best to find someone to take her spot (changing the name over would cost £200 but at least she'd get SOME money back) but we couldn't. Cancelling her place would cost her deposit, which is most of what she paid anyway, and make the costs for the rest of us go up which we don't think is fair. We think the best solution is just to let her part of the holiday be paid for, which means she won't get any money back.

    Anyway, she told us today that her father might take "legal action". Now we all think this is pretty ridiculous, as she gave me (I organised it) her money willingly and is now choosing not to go; we haven't done anything wrong. However, I just want to double check with people who know something about the law that there's no basis on which he can make a complaint. Thanks in advance, guys!

    Sounds like she's talking crap, tbh. She paid a deposit for the holiday, which you presumably paid to the travel agent and was non-refundable(?). Now she doesn't want to go so that's her problem, she's lost her deposit.

    The fact its gonna cost you guys more is annoying, agreed, but if someone's dropped out and you can't fill her place then you're just going to have to suck it up and pay the extra. Her losing a non-refundable deposit is fair enough, but if there's any additional money you have from her its only fair to give it back to her.
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.