Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can anyone tell me where to find, or just explain the shape of displacement time graph for a bouncing ball

Our teacher is awful and we don't trust the graph he drew

Thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Displacement is less each time the ball bounces as its initial energy is lost to its surroundings i.e. heat energy due to friction with the ground.

Some other graphs may show the ball bouncing back up to its original height in a "perfect world" where no energy is lost to its surroundings and the energy in the ball is conserved throughout each bounce.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)

Displacement is less each time the ball bounces as its initial energy is lost to its surroundings i.e. heat energy due to friction with the ground.

Some other graphs may show the ball bouncing back up to its original height in a "perfect world" where no energy is lost to its surroundings and the energy in the ball is conserved throughout each bounce.

Surely the displacement should start at zero?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Beth_L_G)
    Surely the displacement should start at zero?
    Displacement between the ball and the ground. Not from the starting point of the motion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    Displacement between the ball and the ground. Not from the starting point of the motion.
    i should have specified in the question

sorry

I'm looking to see what it looks like if you take your starting point as zero displacement
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Beth_L_G)
    i should have specified in the question

sorry

I'm looking to see what it looks like if you take your starting point as zero displacement
    weird question but it'll look like:

gimme a sec... weird output./

/

GOT ITTT ^

It would look exactly the same as in the graph posted but with the horizontal axis moved up to the starting point at A.
    The vertical axis is then labelled downwards as zero, -0.5, -1.0, -1.5m

This takes the starting point to be at zero displacement, and the downwards direction as negative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stonebridge)
    It would look exactly the same as in the graph posted but with the horizontal axis moved up to the starting point at A.
    The vertical axis is then labelled downwards as zero, -0.5, -1.0, -1.5m

This takes the starting point to be at zero displacement, and the downwards direction as negative.
    Thanks

i got in a huge argument with my teacher because i told him that and tried to explain to him why and he just couldn't understand

just asked on here to make sure i was right and wasn't just embarassing myself :L

Thank you for your help!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Added the graph in my previous post =P Taking the downward vector as positive.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 29, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.