Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did you go to the same uni as anyone from your old school? watch

ReputationRep:
    Have just found out that someone I know might be going to the same uni as me, am quite annoyed by this as they're perfectly nice (although I don't know them that well) but I was hoping to have a fresh start, make new friends etc etc :mad:

Has this happened to anyone else? Was it awkward or was it ok? Did you hang around with them much?

ReputationRep:
    I did - don't hang around with them, but do have a chat on the bus.

ReputationRep:
    i know loads of people from school here. especially if you count all the uni's in the city

ReputationRep:
    Yeah a few people who were in my year go to my uni. I see them around sometimes and say hi but uni is a big place, you'll hardly see them anyway unless you're doing the same course.

ReputationRep:
    I know about 3 or 4, i don't see how it's a problem people you know going lol?.
    You don't know them that well.
    Thus.. why do you even care?

ReputationRep:
    I know of three people who've got offers from Manchester, but I doubt any of them will make it their firm choice.
    I wouldn't really mind if they did go... but I prefer to go it alone

ReputationRep:
    Don't be ridiculous, a close friend of mine was thinking of not going to a uni because a former best friend she'd fallen out with was going there, in a different year, on a different course! Uni's are big places and you're big girls, you don't have to see these other people (much)! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    People from sixth form, I would be okay with. But the wasters from secondary school, **** OFF.

ReputationRep:
    no i was the only one who went to my uni ...........

ReputationRep:
    Most of my friends are going to the same uni (Edinburgh) and living at home.

I am going to St Andrews and moving out and I think I am the olny one in my school that even applied there.

ReputationRep:
    I went to school with, and was decent friends with, a guy who's on the course at the same uni I'm going to in September. He's in the year above me though, which is weird cause I'm like 11 days older than him I don't think he's overly pleased about me stepping onto his patch though! I'm quite excited about having him around, he's a really cool guy, and he's a brilliantly creative performer, I think he just likes being top dog and knows I'm better than him

ReputationRep:
    My best friend is going to the same university as me- but she's going to be studying Drama, so completely different to what I'm doing!

So we'll barely see each other. We're not sharing the same accommodation either because we want to make our own friendship groups, but it's such a comfort that if people aren't nice or we're having a bad day- that we're there for each other also, I'm looking forward to the train journeys home!

ReputationRep:
    Only one girl, my friend. We lived in the same flat and all, but she dropped out at Halloween.
    Bad idea, her and I became inseparable almost which meant I didn't make my own friends, and I didn't bond with our flatmates. That's probably more due to the fact she's the most antisocial human being on the planet, but still, it'll not help you form your own relationships.
    But as many people have already said- you don't have to be her BFF, just speak to her now and again and take comfort in the fact that there's someone you know there with you if you need it. Because feeling homesick is inevitable and having someone you know will help
    Now my friend has left I've made so many new friends, and my relationships with my flatmates are 10 times better It was good at the start when I was really homesick, even hearing someone with the same accent helped (I went to uni across the water! And everyone I heard was scottish lol) but in all honesty I could have gotten past that on my own. It sounds horrible, but she held me back.
    Don't let the person from your school interfere with your new relationships, it'll be nice to have her there but you need to get out on your own too
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I go to university with a couple of people I knew from my old school. One of them I hardly ever see as she's in the year above us and hence lives off campus, the other I see incredibly often as she's both from my year and I also introduced her to my friends who she also became very friendly with. Some people might find that strange, but it made sense at the time; she had difficulties making friends at first because she didn't really get along with the people she was living with, whilst I happened to live with just the sort of people I knew she'd make friends with, so yeah, she comes out on nights out with us and hangs out with us sometimes. Now it's further on in the year she's made plenty of other friends so it's not so much of an issue, but even though I wasn't the best of friends with her in high school or sixth form, I didn't really mind 'sharing' my friends, as such. On the contrary, it would have been rude not to.

ReputationRep:
    I would love it if some of of my mates end up at the same university as me.

ReputationRep:
    Unintentionally!

One of my best friends decided on results day that she was going to change her course and she was left with Keele and Lincoln as her options after taking everything into account.

It's brilliant having her around sometimes

ReputationRep:
    Nope

ReputationRep:
    Lolwut. Just because she's going to the same uni as you doesn't mean you've got to be friends.

ReputationRep:
    I've got around 8 people from my school going to my uni in September lol, I live in Kent and we're all going to Nottingham for some reason. Plus at least 3 of them are going to be on the same course as me. I don't really mind as I'm good friends with most of them and we're all going to be trying to make new friends anyway but I guess it will be nice to have people you know to talk when you first start out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Defontaine)
    I've got around 8 people from my school going to my uni in September lol, I live in Kent and we're all going to Nottingham for some reason. Plus at least 3 of them are going to be on the same course as me. I don't really mind as I'm good friends with most of them and we're all going to be trying to make new friends anyway but I guess it will be nice to have people you know to talk when you first start out.
    Atleast you already know people you can live with in your second year!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.