Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did you go to the same uni as anyone from your old school? watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    There are 3 of us from my school at my uni. 2 girls and a guy.
    The guy, I don't see very often, but I've met him a few times in town/on the journey home and we've had a nice chat.
    The girl actually ended up living right down the corridor from me and we also do the same course. We didn't plan it that way, we rarely spoke at school. But now we're good friends and it's been lovely having her there and having a friendly face around. I can see how you want a fresh start, I did kind of want that but I have been quite homesick and having her there has made it easier.

ReputationRep:
    One person from my old school and one person from my old sixth form (that I know of) currently study at York. Maybe one or two more that I don't know of, but I doubt it.

(Original post by Defontaine)
    I've got around 8 people from my school going to my uni in September lol, I live in Kent and we're all going to Nottingham for some reason. Plus at least 3 of them are going to be on the same course as me. I don't really mind as I'm good friends with most of them and we're all going to be trying to make new friends anyway but I guess it will be nice to have people you know to talk when you first start out.
    Weald of Kent 6th form, by any chance? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Seen a few people, a good friend of mine is in the year above me. I've seen a lot of "friends of friends" who I see now and again too.

ReputationRep:
    I love having 3 of my good friends at my university.
    Particularly during the first couple of months it was so comforting to have them close by.
    I know a few others from my school, but I only talk to them occasionally in passing.
    I've made loads of friends as have my good friends and I've become really good friends with their friends and vice versa.
    But don 't worry about people from you're school being at your university, you don't need to ever see them if you don't want to, you can still start fresh and it might be handy to have them there, especially before you go as if you have any questions on applying for halls or deadlines for applying etc., they can help you out.
    It's not a bad thing at all.

ReputationRep:
    I did in my first uni; we never spoke, though.

In my current uni, no. Though there are a number of people from my old uni here, for various reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    One person from my old school and one person from my old sixth form (that I know of) currently study at York. Maybe one or two more that I don't know of, but I doubt it.

Weald of Kent 6th form, by any chance? :confused:
    Alas....Dartford Grammar 6th form, although I know someone who goes to Weald of Kent
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Don't know and don't care. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Alas....Dartford Grammar 6th form, although I know someone who goes to Weald of Kent
    Ah, damnit.

I know a girl from Weald of Kent going to either Nottingham or Nottingham Trent (she's applied to both) next year. I was hoping we'd have a mutual friend. What a coincidence that would have been.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I was the only person from my school to go in about four years

ReputationRep:
    Yes - dozens - my uni's 20 miles from my old school so most people have gone on to the same Uni for travelling etc! I don't speak to any of them though, have lost contact with everyone from school now

ReputationRep:
    No but I reckon it would have been cool living with my close mates but then I may have not tried to make new friends as much but it would have been nice lol

ReputationRep:
    About 25 people from my school have all firmed the same university, and about 15 more have it as their insurance.

No offense to them... but I'm glad I'm not going there!

ReputationRep:
    I think there are about 6 people from my school or college at my uni, and one of my best friends and another girl from my school are coming in September after their gap years

ReputationRep:
    One of my close friends from back home! She lives in the same Halls as me but a different floor. It's been amazing because we're far enough apart (location wise) to have two groups of friends, but as we are so close obviously those two groups have merged, resulting in meeting even more people. Also it was great at the very start to always know for sure you wouldn't have to do anything by yourself. We don't hang out as such that much at uni, but we go to eachothers' rooms for a catchup every week or so, and still see eachother loads when we go home for the holidays (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella Occhi)
    Have just found out that someone I know might be going to the same uni as me, am quite annoyed by this as they're perfectly nice (although I don't know them that well) but I was hoping to have a fresh start, make new friends etc etc :mad:

Has this happened to anyone else? Was it awkward or was it ok? Did you hang around with them much?
    I think it happens to most people, to be honest. There are a couple of people in my year going to the same university as me in September, but it doesn't really make much difference in the end. If you don't want to hang around with them, you don't have to - and if they're not in the same department as you then you'll probably never see them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VioletsAreBlue)
    About 25 people from my school have all firmed the same university, and about 15 more have it as their insurance.

No offense to them... but I'm glad I'm not going there!
    Haha, same! We have lots going to Leeds!

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, you'll never see them if you don't want to. So many people from my school went to the same uni and unis in the city and the only time I saw them was when we were all taking the same train home at Christmas.

Unless of course it was somewhere really small like St. Andrews then you might run into them more often. But even then you don't have to hang out with them and it's highly unlikely that so many people from one school will end up getting into a place that's small.

ReputationRep:
    Thank god no one from my 6th form is going to the same University as me... most the year seems to be going to Northumbria, Leeds or Hull... I decided to venture right down south!

ReputationRep:
    uite a few people i know have been looking at the same unis as me and even some at the same courses . . .

ReputationRep:
    I've got around 8 people from my school going to my uni in September lol, I live in Kent and we're all going to Nottingham for some reason. Plus at least 3 of them are going to be on the same course as me. I don't really mind as I'm good friends with most of them and we're all going to be trying to make new friends anyway but I guess it will be nice to have people you know to talk when you first start out.
    Funny, I'm from Kent too and I know loads of people who go to/are going to Nottingham as well. And I go to a different school to you too. There must be something about that place :moon:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.