Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So how many Porcupine Tree fans we got here? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know there's a couple of you out there. Show yourselves!

For those that don't know them: http://www.last.fm/music/Porcupine+Tree

Steadily growing in popularity which is nice to see.

Favourite five tracks?

1. Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
    2. Anesthetize
    3. Sleep Together
    4. Strip the Soul
    5. Gravity Eyelids
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What little I've heard by them before I have really liked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    What little I've heard by them before I have really liked.
    You should give them a proper listen sometime. They're very interesting because each album gives you something completely different.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Betacra)
    You should give them a proper listen sometime. They're very interesting because each album gives you something completely different.
    Yes, I should.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I quite like Porcupine Tree.

Fave five tracks? Probably, in no particular order:

1. Trains
    2. Blackest Eye
    3. Sound of Muzak
    4. Deadwing
    5. Heart Attack in a Layby

Yup, all about In Absentia for me!

ReputationRep:
    One of my all time favourites. Although I must confess that I haven't really listened to their early stuff properly.

Top 5:

1. Open Car
    2. Strip the Soul
    3. Fear of a Blank Planet
    4. The Creator Has A Mastertape
    5. Shallow

ReputationRep:
    I know there's a couple of you out there. Show yourselves!

For those that don't know them: http://www.last.fm/music/Porcupine+Tree

Steadily growing in popularity which is nice to see.

Favourite five tracks?

1. Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
    2. Anesthetize
    3. Sleep Together
    4. Strip the Soul
    5. Gravity Eyelids
    Yes, yes, oh god yes

Love them, great music and with such variety.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    Top 5:

1. Open Car
    Actually one of my least favourites from Deadwing, still great though.
    2. Strip the Soul
    Easily one of their best, it's so evil it's almost too much to bear.
    3. Fear of a Blank Planet
    Great opener to a brilliant album, nearly picked this.
    4. The Creator Has A Mastertape
    So much energy in this track it's unreal. Really cool song, although I always put it really loud and it annoys my family.
    5. Shallow
    I commonly listen to this song on my way to college in the morning, perfect wake up call.
    Good songs.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've been a huge fan of Porcupine Tree for a few years now I seriously can't get enough of it and could definitely be one of, if not, my favourite band(s).

My top 5 tracks (not exactly in order) and they do change a lot so here goes...

1. Dark Matter
    2. Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape
    3. The Start of Something Beautiful
    4. Even Less (Recordings edition)
    5. Every Home is Wired

I use to think that I thought In Absentia was the best album but I seem to be moving more towards Signify. There are so many cool albums and songs that it took me so long trying to write this.

ReputationRep:
    I love Lazarus.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I should like them, but I haven't had chance to have a proper listen. The only song I have properly listened to, and a few times, is Trains. I found it a bit of a let down after the first 18 seconds or so (very nice intro vocals). Still good, but not amazing.

I intend to listen to more, though. And this thread is good for suggestions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyBeautiful)
    I intend to listen to more, though. And this thread is good for suggestions
    Like I've said, it's depending on what you're looking for in them.

For example, Deadwing holds a lot more emotion and In Absentia and Fear of a Blank Planet are very dark albums with very dark themes.

Lastfm or Wikipedia should give some better info.

ReputationRep:
    The only song I have properly listened to, and a few times, is Trains. I found it a bit of a let down after the first 18 seconds or so (very nice intro vocals). Still good, but not amazing.
    It has beatiful, evocative lyrics. I love, for example: "Sixty ton angel falls to the earth, a pile of old metal, a radiant blur." for both the prosody and the imagery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jake22)
    It has beatiful, evocative lyrics. I love, for example: "Sixty ton angel falls to the earth, a pile of old metal, a radiant blur." for both the prosody and the imagery.
    I don't dispute that. But still, this alone doesn't always make for a great song. Clearly you like it...as for me, I'm not sure

ReputationRep:
    I don't dispute that. But still, this alone doesn't always make for a great song. Clearly you like it...as for me, I'm not sure
    True, the best thing is if you can get the combination of a great song with great lyrics.

ReputationRep:
    Good songs.

Porcupine Tree, 'evil'? Haha.

Sleep Together and Trains are my favourite PT songs. I'm not sure if I'd think so were they not so strongly associated with someone but whatever.

Also, have any of you actually listened to all of their albums? Lots of people seem to have started around Lightbulb Sun (well TBH lots of people seem to only have heard In Absentia through Fear Of A Blank Planet). Some of the earlier stuff is very hit and miss.

Well, actually, I'd say most PT is very hit and miss. And The Incident kinda sucks.

ReputationRep:
    One of my favourite bands of all time, pretty high up on my last fm. Nearly 700 plays.

I dont really have a top 5 or a favourite album, but i really like arriving somewhere but not here, time flies, all of voyage 34: complete trip, radioactive toy, all of up the downstair, shesmovedon, trains, even less, piano lessons, russia on ice, mellotron scratch, anaesthetiza, i drive the hearse, heart attack in a layby, collapse the light into earth, open car, lazarus.

I like pretty much everything they have done, most albums have one or two bum songs on them though. Incident only has 3 I realy like, time flies, i drive the hearse and remember me lover

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    Porcupine Tree, 'evil'? Haha.
    Almost all of In Absentia has a very dark feel to it. That's what I'm getting at.

ReputationRep:
    Really like them, got into them around a year ago but the albums, hooked ever since. :yep:

Favourite five tracks:
    1. Time Flies
    2. Deadwing
    3. Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
    4. The Incident
    5. Shallow

ReputationRep:
    I cannot understand why I got negged for my post. Choosing a top 5 for songs is entirely subjective. If someone would like to comment on them then that's perfectly fine, but don't neg anon.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.