The Student Room Group

GCSEs

Hey just a quick question I achieved at gcse:
4.5 A*s in Maths, additional science, re and pe sport
4 As in history, ict and business
2 Bs in both english's
1 C in core science.

Are my gcses going to affect my application that much or can I still have a good chance of getting into universities like newcastle and sheffield etc

In AS I am on track to get 4 As and hopefully some A*s at A2 and so hopefully with a good UKCAT score and a fair amount of work experience, do you think I will have a good chance of getting into medicine?
Reply 1
I think that your B in english and C in core science might disadvantage you for some unis. However, check the websites of the unis for gcse requirements to see which ones you qualify for, I'm sure there will be some suitable for you. A good ukcat score and work experience will definitely help of course. All the best! :smile:
Hey everyone,
I have a question - A teacher told me that to be accepted into med school, I would need AT LEAST a B s every subject. I think that I'd be able to do that as I'm predicted As and Bs in all my subjects - EXCEPT French!!

I REEEAAALLLLY want to make it as a doctor and I don't know what I would do if i failed at it.
What should I do?
should I drop French now and spend more time on my other subjects or should I carry on with it and risk getting C?

P.S.
Is it even true? would i not be rejected EVERYWHERE if I had a C in French
Reply 3
Original post by Oxbridge-Rawr
Hey everyone,
I have a question - A teacher told me that to be accepted into med school, I would need AT LEAST a B s every subject. I think that I'd be able to do that as I'm predicted As and Bs in all my subjects - EXCEPT French!!

I REEEAAALLLLY want to make it as a doctor and I don't know what I would do if i failed at it.
What should I do?
should I drop French now and spend more time on my other subjects or should I carry on with it and risk getting C?

P.S.

No, your teacher is talking absolute rubbish. Just concentrate on getting the best grades you can for GCSE. A C in French will not stop you going to medical school.
Reply 4
I got a C and a D at in Drama and PE (our drama teacher lost all our work and I couldn't do half the PE course due to a back problem xD)

Nobody said anything about that on results day/at college (so far - In year 1 - AS), I think they're mainly interested in science/maths/english. :smile:
Original post by Oxbridge-Rawr
Hey everyone,

What should I do?

P.S.

Nope some only ask for your 6 best grades including maths, English and science :smile:
So, should I drop french? All your answers have been really helpful so far, btw, so thank you
Reply 7
If you really feel it's necessary to drop it, then do. However if you work really hard and do well in it, you'll feel really good about it and you'll have an extra GCSE. Even if you don't necessarily get an A in it, the universities will surely admire your determination for persisting with it rather than just quitting >_<

PS. I got an A* in french GCSE, so if you need any help or have any questions about the exams etc. then PM me and I'll try to help you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending