Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cutting watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do you think trading starting strength to a good Plyometrics routine along with sprints on a track would retain muscle and be good for cutting? Maybe even build muscle in the process?

Also advice on diet, how many carbs, protein for the cutting phase. As I have been led to believe you don't want too many carbs for cutting because of fat however I'll be needing the energy?

ReputationRep:
    why not cut on SS?

just keep doing the same lifts or increase if you can, while on a calorie deficit.

That is what i have been doing and it seems to be working

ReputationRep:
    I would say stick with SS unless you dont enjoy it

Dont worry about the macro breakdown just eat balanced and in a calorie deficit.

Also im guessing your a beginner because your doing SS, are you sure your big enough to cut?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danz343)
    Do you think trading starting strength to a good Plyometrics routine along with sprints on a track would retain muscle and be good for cutting? Maybe even build muscle in the process?

Also advice on diet, how many carbs, protein for the cutting phase. As I have been led to believe you don't want too many carbs for cutting because of fat however I'll be needing the energy?
    Depends how much progression you've made. If you've had a good few months on SS, you'll almost certainly lose muscle and strength on the track. What are your goals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Fox)
    Depends how much progression you've made. If you've had a good few months on SS, you'll almost certainly lose muscle and strength on the track. What are your goals?
    Well to be fair I've only done about 5-6 weeks of SS, made some decent gains to be fair. I would like to continue to make the gains but I feel that I won't have much time to cut later on in the year.

Should really have started starting strength in early winter.

Goal is really to look good for summer, then bulk in the winter.

Lifts before:
    Bench - 60kg 3x5
    Squat - 75kg 3x5
    Deadlift - 70kg 3x5
    Press - 40kg 3x5
    Clean - 45kg 3x5

Lifts after 5 weeks:
    Bench 70kg - 3x5
    Squat - 95kg 3x5
    Deadlift - 87.5kg 3x5
    Press - 47.5kg 3x5
    Clean - 55kg 3x5

Don't train with a spotter which hinders my bench progress a bit, deadlift is weaker than squat somehow lol. Wasn't new to the gym before starting strength been going for about a year previous.

ReputationRep:
    with those numbers and having only been doing ss for 5-6 weeks i would stick with it for a while longer.

i would also probably put more of a focus on deadlift, as for most people it is significantly higher than squat, not lower

my plan is to stick with SS till a point where bench, squat and deadlift combined is over 300kg, even then i will probably continue till i fail to get any more gains from it

ReputationRep:
    I would guess you are not squatting to depth if your squat is higher than your deadlift.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    I would guess you are not squatting to depth if your squat is higher than your deadlift.
    I'm squatting to parallel, just think I didnt start on my highest squat when I started.

ReputationRep:
    I'm squatting to parallel, just think I didnt start on my highest squat when I started.
    Go below parallel. No need to go A2G but getting nice and deep should balance out your stats.

ReputationRep:
    = Not squatting to depth.

To be a proper squat thetop of the thigh where it joins the hip should be below the level of the knee, not inline and certainly not the middle of the thigh to parallel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    = Not squatting to depth.

To be a proper squat thetop of the thigh where it joins the hip should be below the level of the knee, not inline and certainly not the middle of the thigh to parallel.
    Okay i'll de-load and go for it.

What do you think i should do alongside starting strength to cut?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 30, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.