Turn on thread page Beta

Muslim Model Recieves Abuse For Entering Miss UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Why did she have to actually say she was a Muslim? She didn't need to. I don't care if she's a Muslim or not, it's her lifestyle not mine. I won't have to answer to her life choices. She will.

In what way is she disrespecting Islam?! That's not disrespect in anyway. While I disagree with what she's doing (speaking as a Muslim) it's in no way disrespect to the religion. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAK.A)
    People claim to be strong believers when they are not. Strictly speaking I'm pretty sure you are not allowed to be like a less strict Muslim, it is either by the law of Islam or just leave it out. Like drinking alcohol is not allowed, you cannot say I will drink alcohol but not so much that I will become drunk.
    To be fair, I don't think any religion allows you to disregard some of its teachings; people simply choose to be more moderate, e.g. Christians who have sex before marriage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    The current Miss USA is a Lebanese-Muslim and the press were all over her (Fox News especially) with many saying she shouldn't be allowed to represent America. There's a video on youtube of Debbie Schlussel laying into her for about 10mins and calling her a terrorist/terrorist sympathiser/Al Qaeda etc.
    Not surprising at all :sadnod: And Schlussel is just jealous, has a fat face.

ReputationRep:
    I respect what she is doing there... but how is she good looking enough to represent the UK in miss universe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mujeriego)
    Profound.

I like how everyone is going on about Muslims being sexist so-and-so's despite there being no mention of 'Islamically mandated' violence against her and completely ignoring the racially motivated attack which led her to seek validation in pageants. Perhaps slamming a brick into a child's face is acceptable. Culturally mandated even. :rolleyes:.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/ma...e-death-threat
    Most of the negative comments have come from a minority of Muslim men. "I get people saying, 'you're not a Muslim' and 'you're using religion to get attention'. I said they were the ones bringing religion into it. I'm not representing Islam; I just want to represent my country, and of that I am very proud. They are trying to control me, using religion as a tool to attack."

Bukhari accuses her abusers of having the same sort of mindset as those who support "honour" killings and beat women. Many of the comments are, she says, from individuals who want sharia law instead of a liberal democracy. "We simply live in a multicultural society where there are significant numbers of Muslims. Islam is about peace; abusing me is itself wrong in Islam."
    Yeah sorry about her being attacked when she was young - I just don't see how Muslim thugs threatening to kill her today makes that right. :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/ma...e-death-threat

Yeah sorry about her being attacked when she was young - I just don't see how Muslim thugs threatening to kill her today makes that right. :unsure:

OP uploaded a news article from BBC Newsbeat. Again, in this article, she has received death threats from both Muslim thugs, White British thugs and feminist thugs. Presumably you read this particular article on your own before anyone else so I don't understand what compelled you to single out Islam in your post when the abuse was clearly coming from all sides.

The censure has come from various quarters, ranging from Muslims who claim that she is denigrating the name of Islam, to white supremacists who say that an Asian cannot represent the UK, and to women who condemn beauty pageants as an affront to feminism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mujeriego)
    OP uploaded a news article from BBC Newsbeat. Again, in this article, she has received death threats from both Muslim thugs, White British thugs and feminist thugs. Presumably you read this particular article on your own before anyone else so I don't understand what compelled you to single out Islam in your post when the abuse was clearly coming from all sides.
    Yeah I googled... couldn't see anything about her being attacked as a child on the BBC link in OP.

in her own words she says is mostly fundamantalist Muslim men making threats... other idiots clearly exist.

Maybe angry muslim men are well known for being harmless? no actually last time I looked they kill and maim a lot more people than feminists do.

ReputationRep:
    Bearing in mind she had a brick smashed against her face by a 'racist idiot' when she was a child which left her hospitalised, I'd hardly say getting insults from some Muslims is the biggest issue she's had to deal with in her life. I find it quite distasteful how you're trying to pin the blame on Islam because she's been criticised by some people and overlook the much more serious issue of a racially motivated GBH attack on her when she was a child.
    Exactly and that it must undergo "a reformation" in order to allow women to parade around half naked in a cattle market.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Maybe angry muslim men are well known for being harmless? no actually last time I looked they kill and maim a lot more people than feminists do.

Really? Well, the record for killing the most people is still held by white supremacists. I win.

Good effort. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I resent the competition being called "Miss Universe" (from the article title). How do people know there aren't equally or more beautiful women on other planets that we don't know of? :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Slightly ironic how her last name is nearly Bhurka !!! Good on her though.

ReputationRep:
    Bearing in mind she had a brick smashed against her face by a 'racist idiot' when she was a child which left her hospitalised, I'd hardly say getting insults from some Muslims is the biggest issue she's had to deal with in her life. I find it quite distasteful how you're trying to pin the blame on Islam because she's been criticised by some people and overlook the much more serious issue of a racially motivated GBH attack on her when she was a child.
    I'm not defending what happened to her in her childhood, I'd attack that with as much distain as I am with the Muslim abuse. What I was just trying to get at is that for all Islamic figures state Islam is a religion of tolerance and peace, again and again people associated with it seem to adopt these ultra-conservative views. View which are patently uncompatible with our liberal society and which need eliminating.

So what if this woman wants to enter a beauty pageant, it's entirely her choice whether she does or not. Some patriarchal nonsense in a book over a thousand years old shouldn't be a basis for attacking her choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bzzz)
    I resent the competition being called "Miss Universe" (from the article title). How do people know there aren't equally or more beautiful women on other planets that we don't know of? :mad:
    You've highlighted a major flaw in this competition. It may lose all of its credibility as a result.

ReputationRep:
    Very true. I like how the press conveniently hone in on that aspect too! I wonder if she was from a conservative Christian family/community, the same would've happened. I think not

In terms of the article, of course it's her choice, but if she professes to be a Muslim (in which modesty for BOTH sexes plays a key part), people are bound to find her competing in a 'bikini round' a little odd.

Having said that, Islam does teach that each one to his own and abuse is never appropriate. If those who send abuse to her really wish to aid her in becoming a better Muslim, they wouldn't do it that way which leads us to think that perhaps they are just 'haters'.

God is the judge (if you swing that way), not ignorant people who interpret the part about women's modesty and ignore the fact that this idea is not exclusive of the male gender.

ReputationRep:
    How does this concern anyone else?

If they don't want to take part, nobody has put a gun to their head to force them to.

They don't have to participate or spectate.

I don't see what their problem is.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'd tap that tho... without a doubt :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Well, she isn't a Muslim.
    It's sort of like taking a cricket bat to a football game, hitting the ball for six and then claiming you're a pro footballer.

Likewise, Islam says women should dress modestly. This lady does not dress modestly. So she's not a Muslim. Simple no?
    It's not so much the fact she's entered this Miss UK thing, it's the fact that she's entered and still calls herself a Muslim that's what pisses Muslims off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    I'm not defending what happened to her in her childhood, I'd attack that with as much distain as I am with the Muslim abuse.
    So you'd treat insults with the same severity as GBH on a defenceless child? That must be a very lonely position you're taking there.

What I was just trying to get at is that for all Islamic figures state Islam is a religion of tolerance and peace, again and again people associated with it seem to adopt these ultra-conservative views. View which are patently uncompatible with our liberal society and which need eliminating.
    If they forced her not to take part then I'd agree it would be incompatible with liberal values but then again, the fiercest criticism of this issue (and the existence of beauty pageants) has come from feminist groups not Muslims. White nationalists have also demanded that she shouldn't be allowed to represent the UK and only a white woman should. No mention of them I see?

So what if this woman wants to enter a beauty pageant, it's entire her choice whether she does or not.
    I agree. People also have the right to criticise that choice.

Some patriarchal nonsense
    Not referring to the Miss Universe contest by any chance are we?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    ...and not from racist idiots like the BNP or EDF.
    I didn't realise my energy provider was racist?

ReputationRep:
    She's not a Muslim if she's willing to enter a contest where you are judged on looks alone now is she?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    Well, she isn't a Muslim.
    It's sort of like taking a cricket bat to a football game, hitting the ball for six and then claiming you're a pro footballer.

Likewise, Islam says women should dress modestly. This lady does not dress modestly. So she's not a Muslim. Simple no?
    It's not so much the fact she's entered this Miss UK thing, it's the fact that she's entered and still calls herself a Muslim that's what pisses Muslims off.

Apples and oranges. And it is not as "simple" as you pretend it is either. You are not permitted to declare takfir against her on such flimsy reasoning. At least have the courtesy to provide a hadith or verse stating that immodest dress reneges someone's declaration of belief. By your logic, every time someone commits a sin, they become an apostate by default and have to actively revert in front of two adults in order to become Muslim again. How awfully time consuming. :rolleyes:

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.