Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

RAF University bursary pilot applicants watch

ReputationRep:
    Just had a letter through saying my application for a bursary had been terminated as a result of the SDSR. My aptitude test which was due in April has been cancelled.

Anyone else in the same situation?

and

Is there any pilot bursary applicant here who hasn't had their application terminated?

ReputationRep:
    Where are you, ending sixth form, start of Uni? Because if you're not at the end of Uni and approaching the max age for pilot, chill out, you've got nothing to worry about. Times are tough now but apply again in a few years and if you've got the right stuff you'll be OK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DirtyPrettyThing)
    Where are you, ending sixth form, start of Uni? Because if you're not at the end of Uni and approaching the max age for pilot, chill out, you've got nothing to worry about. Times are tough now but apply again in a few years and if you've got the right stuff you'll be OK.
    Year 13. I would say i have something to worry about :P. 0 pilot intake 2011/12. "likely" to be 0 in 2012/13. So for financial year 2013/14 I think there will be a surge of older applicants who have missed out in the two previous years.

Just looking too see the opinions of those applying at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabe_5358)
    Year 13. I would say i have something to worry about :P. 0 pilot intake 2011/12. "likely" to be 0 in 2012/13. So for financial year 2013/14 I think there will be a surge of older applicants who have missed out in the two previous years.

Fair point- it makes sense.

So what to do- Work hard to make yourself as competitive as you can. This means working hard at university and also working on improving your leadership skills etc. You can still apply to join the University Air Squadron without a bursary. A good report from your UAS CO will always help at OASC.

Older applicants are not neccesarily going to score any higher then younger applicants (in fact for pilot training younger applicants may have a slight advantage)- so don't worry unduly on that score.

In the meantime do have a sensible back up career plan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabe_5358)

Hate to break it to you, but RAF Pilot is one of the most sought after careers there is. There will always be hundreds and thousands of people wanting to be one and going through the selection process.

Yeah, there might be an extra few applicants after a year or two of the RAF not taking anyone on, but if you want the job you're going to have to beat all those people anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Hate to break it to you, but RAF Pilot is one of the most sought after careers there is. There will always be hundreds and thousands of people wanting to be one and going through the selection process.

Yeah, there might be an extra few applicants after a year or two of the RAF not taking anyone on, but if you want the job you're going to have to beat all those people anyway.
    Im starting sixth form in september (maths psychics business) and am going to apply for RAF bursary pilot in 2013 do you think they'll be jobs for pilots by then or is it impossible to tell ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george-liverpool94)
    Im starting sixth form in september (maths psychics business) and am going to apply for RAF bursary pilot in 2013 do you think they'll be jobs for pilots by then or is it impossible to tell ?
    Remember that taking someone on as a bursar in year x isn't the same as taking them on as a pilot in year x, it's taking them on as a pilot in year x+3 (or 4). So, your real question is will the RAF be taking pilots on in 2016/2017? Almost definitely, yes.

However, 2013 is still quite soon, so it's frankly too early to tell whether they'll give away bursaries when they could just as easily wait for you to apply direct at the end of uni.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.