The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham Postgrads - 2011!

There are quite a few applicant/fresher threads but these are mainly for UGs, so I decided to create a new thread for us postgraduates, as I haven't found one anywhere else.

So what's everybody going to Notts for?

And what are you'll planning to do for accommodation? We've got Cloister House, Raleigh Park, Broadgate Park, Melton House and St. Peter's Court (and Sutton Bonnington for some) as options. And the independent sites - Opal1, Cotton Mills, Riverside Court and Manor Village.

I'm an International student and I'll be studying Translational NeuroImaging. My lectures will mainly be based at the QMC, and I haven't applied for accommodation yet! :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Great idea! Also couldn't find other PG students... :smile:

I am a EU student (German) and will be studying Management Psychology. Therefore, I guess my lectures will mainly be based at Jubilee Campus. :smile:

I decided not to move into university's accommodation as I am pretty sure that the UG freshers there will party hard throughout the year... At least this is what I did... ;-)

I have found a nice offer on gumtree.com and will probably move into a shared house at Beeston. I know that there will be another room available - if you are interested.

By the way: My name is Jenny :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Kynthia86

I am a EU student (German) and will be studying Management Psychology. Therefore, I guess my lectures will mainly be based at Jubilee Campus. :smile:

I decided not to move into university's accommodation as I am pretty sure that the UG freshers there will party hard throughout the year... At least this is what I did... ;-)

I have found a nice offer on gumtree.com and will probably move into a shared house at Beeston. I know that there will be another room available - if you are interested.

Hi Jenny! Nice to meet you! :smile:

Yeah, I could hardly see any PGs posting on the Nottingham firmers thread so I made a new one.

The UG freshers will definitely be partying throughout the year but most halls have different blocks for UGs and PGs, from what I have heard, so I don't think the noise should be a huge issue. And there are some halls only for postgraduates too, like Melton.

Have you already decided to go for the private house? Everyone was telling me to pick University accommodation over private because it would be much safer and make it easier to meet new people etc. Plus since utility bills are included, you don't have to worry about those either. But just send me details about this house via private message anyway. :smile:
Reply 3
Hello everyone!!
I am a EU student (Greek) and I will be studying "Electrical Technology for Sustainable and Renewable Energy Systems". I haven't accepted my offer yet but I'll probably attend this course. I'm just waiting for some last answers by the unis. My lectures will mainly be based at University Park Campus, opposite the QMC.
I agree with Jenny. I think that i will also look for accomodation out of the uni, and probably in Beeston or Dunkirk.
Jenny, do you have already booked accomodation?
I would prefer to come to Nottingham some days earlier on September in order to check the houses and decide where i 'll be living.
I almost forgot it. My name is Giannis.
P.S. Are we the only 3 students who will have postagraduate studies at uni of Nottingham next year? :P
Reply 4
Original post by johnnie8var
Hello everyone!!
I am a EU student (Greek) and I will be studying "Electrical Technology for Sustainable and Renewable Energy Systems". I haven't accepted my offer yet but I'll probably attend this course. I'm just waiting for some last answers by the unis. My lectures will mainly be based at University Park Campus, opposite the QMC.
I agree with Jenny. I think that i will also look for accomodation out of the uni, and probably in Beeston or Dunkirk.
I would prefer to come to Nottingham some days earlier on September in order to check the houses and decide where i 'll be living.
I almost forgot it. My name is Giannis.
P.S. Are we the only 3 students who will have postagraduate studies at uni of Nottingham next year? :P

Hi Giannis!

Haha I can confirm for sure that it's not just the three of us. I know two other people going for post-grad courses at Nottingham this September.

I'm applying for on-campus accommodation, primarily because of the social aspect of it, plus bills are all taken care of, so there's no need to worry about a lot of things. Anyhow, even if you're living off-campus, we would all meet up sometime for sure. :smile:

x
Reply 5
Hello!!!
Thanks for the thread!
I'm from Mexico and I’ll start my MSc Supply Chain and Operations Management so I guess my lectures will be at Jubilee Campus.

I haven't applied for accommodation because I can't decide!

If I choose Raleigh Park will be easier to meet people (new in town as me).

But I also saw that there are many rooms in privately rented houses with large bedrooms, roomy living space and good locations in relation to the university and city.

The issue is that I won’t be able to arrange a visit before September and I don't want to have few options to decide. :confused:

Don't know what to do !
Reply 6
Original post by magy
Hello!!!
Thanks for the thread!
I'm from Mexico and I’ll start my MSc Supply Chain and Operations Management so I guess my lectures will be at Jubilee Campus.

I haven't applied for accommodation because I can't decide!

If I choose Raleigh Park will be easier to meet people (new in town as me).

But I also saw that there are many rooms in privately rented houses with large bedrooms, roomy living space and good locations in relation to the university and city.

The issue is that I won’t be able to arrange a visit before September and I don't want to have few options to decide. :confused:

Don't know what to do !

Hey!

I know, I couldn't decide either, but then I just decided to pick one. You can't really tell for sure what's going to be good and what's not. Ofcourse, you can look for reviews and ask people for opinions on here.

I picked Broadgate Park. It isn't very close to where my lectures would be, but Beeston is a good area and I heard a lot of good reviews about Broadgate, so I put that in as my first preference.

If you're going for University accommodation, I guess Raleigh Park or Melton Hall would be closest for you. Melton is inside the Jubilee campus. You could choose Broadgate as well, and although it's far, it's pretty awesome and you'd always find people to walk up to class together (me included!)

:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by .Inspired

Hey!

I know, I couldn't decide either, but then I just decided to pick one. You can't really tell for sure what's going to be good and what's not. Ofcourse, you can look for reviews and ask people for opinions on here.

I picked Broadgate Park. It isn't very close to where my lectures would be, but Beeston is a good area and I heard a lot of good reviews about Broadgate, so I put that in as my first preference.

If you're going for University accommodation, I guess Raleigh Park or Melton Hall would be closest for you. Melton is inside the Jubilee campus. You could choose Broadgate as well, and although it's far, it's pretty awesome and you'd always find people to walk up to class together (me included!)

:smile:

:biggrin: I know.... At the end, fun and joy will depend on us.
I'll go for a private house probably in Dunkirk or The Park and I plan to arrive in earlier to arrange some viewings and decide.

It's exciting!
Reply 8
Original post by magy
:biggrin: I know.... At the end, fun and joy will depend on us.
I'll go for a private house probably in Dunkirk or The Park and I plan to arrive in earlier to arrange some viewings and decide.

It's exciting!

You're an International student too so you'll be there a week before everyone else! I'll be seeing you then for sure!

x
Original post by Kynthia86

bear in mind it's a half hour walk at the very least to jubilee
Reply 10
Original post by colin4president
bear in mind it's a half hour walk at the very least to jubilee

There is a free hopper bus, I think..
Reply 11
Original post by johnnie8var
Hello everyone!!

Yes, I have already found a nice little house to share with a lovely PhD student. You should definately have a look at gumtree.com. :smile:

@Colin4president: Thanks. I really appreciate your advise. However, the girl who is currently living in my future room also has lectures at Jubilee. It takes her around 20 - 25 minutes to get there (walking to University Campus & taking the Hopper Bus). That's fine for me. At my current university I need 45 minutes (and two different busses). :wink:

@all: I am also planning to arrive one week earlier. Would love to meet you! :smile:
Hi. I've just submitted my application to do an MA by research in German (with a bit of Slovenian thrown in too). I can only afford to do it if I get a fee waiver though :frown: I'm an undergrad at Nottingham at the moment and it looks like I'm going to have to live at home (near Leicester) and commute in because I have no money...
Reply 13
Hi everyone,
I'll be doing Masters of laws (LLM). I'm currently trying to find a 3rd housemate for a house in Lenton, close to Jubilee campus and town. we haven't done any house viewings yet but its going to be me and another girl, we're both doing masters in laws and both from hong kong. if you're interested let me know :smile:
There is a free hopper bus, I think..

oh okay, wasn't aware hopper buses went from beeston... then again i'm never down there.
Reply 15
Original post by colin4president
oh okay, wasn't aware hopper buses went from beeston... then again i'm never down there.

Are you currently a student at Nottingham?
Reply 16
Original post by ange de la nuit
Hi. I've just submitted my application to do an MA by research in German (with a bit of Slovenian thrown in too). I can only afford to do it if I get a fee waiver though :frown: I'm an undergrad at Nottingham at the moment and it looks like I'm going to have to live at home (near Leicester) and commute in because I have no money...

Hi!

I hope you get that fee waiver. By when do you expect to hear from them?
Are you currently a student at Nottingham?

yeah, 3rd year
Hi!

I hope you get that fee waiver. By when do you expect to hear from them?

Well I literally only applied last week. My potential supervisor said to expect silence for a while. They will need to accept/reject me and then decide who gets the fee waiver. She said maybe end of of May/start of June.
Reply 19
Hey People ! I am Jenny ( as well). lol

I will be in Nottm next year as well by doing master- Public Service Adminisitration . ( I am currently doing my final year UG here, and living in Opal 1)

Also thinking about the accomodation issue for next year. Opal 1 is nice, i love my flat cos its near lidl and entrance, bigger than other's kitchen, and flatmates are quite and nice. But i am not gonna be in Jubilee next year, so Opal is a bit imperfect for me. :frown: And i dont want to bear the risks that living with UG freshers..... but i do want to stay here if i can find suitable Masters to live with. xx

Wondering does any potneital Masters interested in Living in Opal 1 ? ( 5 bedrooms-ensuite, share kichen, free gym, 5 mins walk to Jubilee, hopper bus connect to Uni Park, with LIDL & Donimo down stairs, easy tranporte to town. )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending