Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenny-H)
    Hey People ! I am Jenny ( as well). lol

I will be in Nottm next year as well by doing master- Public Service Adminisitration . ( I am currently doing my final year UG here, and living in Opal 1)

Also thinking about the accomodation issue for next year. Opal 1 is nice, i love my flat cos its near lidl and entrance, bigger than other's kitchen, and flatmates are quite and nice. But i am not gonna be in Jubilee next year, so Opal is a bit imperfect for me. And i dont want to bear the risks that living with UG freshers..... but i do want to stay here if i can find suitable Masters to live with. xx

Wondering does any potneital Masters interested in Living in Opal 1 ? ( 5 bedrooms-ensuite, share kichen, free gym, 5 mins walk to Jubilee, hopper bus connect to Uni Park, with LIDL & Donimo down stairs, easy tranporte to town. )
    I'll be a Psychological Research Masters' student and I love the look of Opal 1! What do you think of it for the price?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luser)
    I'll be a Psychological Research Masters' student and I love the look of Opal 1! What do you think of it for the price?

Hey there. nice to meet you.

For the room type i have right now, which is a standard ensuite, the rent was £94 pw, but for the same room type next year, they increaed the rent to £109.44 pw.

But the room condition is really good, compare to other student acco, opal's room and bed are bigger.

http://www.opalstudents.com/student-...ng-and-prices/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luser)
    hey.

For the room type i have right now, which is a standard ensuite, the rent was £94 pw, but the increased the rent to £109.44 this year.

But the room condition is really good, compare to other student accos, the room and the bed both bigger. (for the same amount of money)

http://opalstudents.com/student-acco...ng-and-prices/

ReputationRep:
    Hello People,

I am Sanjyot from India, I'll be in Nottingham next year for MSc Management of IT, my classes will be at the Jubilee Campus.

Will be staying in Raleigh Park, Sillitoe Court. I can only check in on 24th Sept and the course starts on 26th Sept. I was wondering if the actual classes start on 26th or its the freshers week starting on 26th? and also anyone here from Sillitoe Court?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I am doing my MSc in Civil Engineering next year. I am looking for someone to move into the flat I have. I have made a thread for it (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1627027) if anyone is interested. Otherwise I will have to rent that out and then rent a place for myself in halls or somewhere lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanjyotshah)
    Hello People,

I am Sanjyot from India, I'll be in Nottingham next year for MSc Management of IT, my classes will be at the Jubilee Campus.

Will be staying in Raleigh Park, Sillitoe Court. I can only check in on 24th Sept and the course starts on 26th Sept. I was wondering if the actual classes start on 26th or its the freshers week starting on 26th? and also anyone here from Sillitoe Court?
    Hello Sanjyot!!
    I think that the international welcome week it's on Sept 20 and the freshers week starts on Sept 26th, I also heard that some classes could start during freshers week anyway we should be ready ;D

ReputationRep:
    Yep, the International student week starts on 20th September - they have arranged a free pick-up for all International students from the Heathrow Airport, London on the 20th, 7 am to 7 pm.

International students will be living at University Park, in our allocated halls from the 20th to the 24th, and then on the 24th we'll be moving into our arranged accommodation.

So if you're moving into Raleigh Park on the 24th, you should be fine. For some of us, the move in date is 25th, so we're going to have to request for an early move in.

And yep, freshers starts on the 26th, and I think courses officially start on the 26th as well. Whether or not we'll actually be having lectures during freshers week, we'll come to know only later on. Or you could email your course coordinator if you really really want to know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magy)
    Hello Sanjyot!!
    I think that the international welcome week it's on Sept 20 and the freshers week starts on Sept 26th, I also heard that some classes could start during freshers week anyway we should be ready ;D
    Hi Magy !!

Thanks for the info! what course are you taking?
    looking forward to the international welcome week!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Inspired)
    Yep, the International student week starts on 20th September - they have arranged a free pick-up for all International students from the Heathrow Airport, London on the 20th, 7 am to 7 pm.

International students will be living at University Park, in our allocated halls from the 20th to the 24th, and then on the 24th we'll be moving into our arranged accommodation.

So if you're moving into Raleigh Park on the 24th, you should be fine. For some of us, the move in date is 25th, so we're going to have to request for an early move in.

And yep, freshers starts on the 26th, and I think courses officially start on the 26th as well. Whether or not we'll actually be having lectures during freshers week, we'll come to know only later on. Or you could email your course coordinator if you really really want to know.
    Hi Inspired!

Thanks a lot! Its very helpful of you !!

ReputationRep:
    I will study the MA in TESOL in Sep/Oct 2011. I'm originally from Nottingham, so I'll live at home and save money.

I'm currently in my 4th year of teaching English abroad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jkyng1)
    Hi everyone,
    I'll be doing Masters of laws (LLM). I'm currently trying to find a 3rd housemate for a house in Lenton, close to Jubilee campus and town. we haven't done any house viewings yet but its going to be me and another girl, we're both doing masters in laws and both from hong kong. if you're interested let me know
    hi~~~ so excited to see ur message..
    I'm from Beijing.. haha~~ & LLm, & a girl, too.
    near Jubilee? but Law school is in university park campus, is that a little further?
    Do you two think about living in the broadgate park? the review is good~~~
    & btw. how about the rent for your Lenton house?

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, I will be in Nottingham this coming Oct for msc international business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beeper)
    hi~~~ so excited to see ur message..
    I'm from Beijing.. haha~~ & LLm, & a girl, too.
    near Jubilee? but Law school is in university park campus, is that a little further?
    Do you two think about living in the broadgate park? the review is good~~~
    & btw. how about the rent for your Lenton house?
    hi Beeper,
    i'm from hong kong! haha we can speak Chinese then :P
    I'm living in Opal now which is near Jubilee campus so law school is indeed quite far away. I have stayed in broadgate in year 1 and 2 its alright may consider staying there again..would u like to live in a lenton house?
    sorry i hardly check studentroom nowadays i'll PM you my email address

ReputationRep:
    Hi, MA International Security and Terrorism, so I'm smack bang in the middle of Uni Park.
    I'm very confused as to where to stay, I like the idea of Melton Hall because it's near the lake, etc .. Some of the other places seem a little sterile (eg Opal 1, although they have a gym)
    does anyone have any advice .. Is it safe to walk from Uni park to Raleigh park in the winter months when it gets dark early... And which areas really are not good to live in? Or which ones are particularly nice.
    Thank you for your opinion :-)

ReputationRep:
    Hello there!

I'm Lorenzo from Italy and I'll be in Nottingham for a PhD course starting next September. I haven't applied for accommodation, I can't decide.

Are there any other PhD students? I'm looking for accommodation advices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S_E_A)
    Hi, MA International Security and Terrorism, so I'm smack bang in the middle of Uni Park.
    I'm very confused as to where to stay, I like the idea of Melton Hall because it's near the lake, etc .. Some of the other places seem a little sterile (eg Opal 1, although they have a gym)
    does anyone have any advice .. Is it safe to walk from Uni park to Raleigh park in the winter months when it gets dark early... And which areas really are not good to live in? Or which ones are particularly nice.
    Thank you for your opinion :-)
    I'm not too sure if I'm the right person to comment on this because I'm not a local and all I know is through whatever I have read on here or heard from other people.

The Lenton/Radford area is considered to be not too safe but I suppose it won't be too tough for you to find company to walk back to Raleigh Park or SPC or any of the accommodation sites located in that area. Also, it's not even necessary for to walk it. They have these hopper buses that you can take and they run at regular intervals, so I think you should be fine.

Distance wise although, these sites would probably be quite far considering that your building is somewhere in the middle of Uni Park.

Melton would probably be the closest and it looks pretty good too. Or you could go for Broadgate Park? Broadgate is very popular and Beeston looks like an excellent area to live in! Though they still have rooms left for postgrads, I'd suggest you apply soon.

P.S - I've applied for Broadgate too!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lm83)
    Hello there!

I'm Lorenzo from Italy and I'll be in Nottingham for a PhD course starting next September. I haven't applied for accommodation, I can't decide.

Are there any other PhD students? I'm looking for accommodation advices.

Hi Lorenzo!

I think you're the first PhD student to post in this thread but I'm sure there will be more to follow.

What department will you be doing your PhD in? The closer you live, the easier it will be. Although like I said in my earlier post, living a bit further away won't be too much of a problem if you don't mind walking and you can always take the hopper bus.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Inspired!

I will be doing my PhD in the English School, Trent Building.

Yes, of course the closer I live, the easier it will be. But don't you think the distance from city centre is a thing you should also take into consideration? I have no idea how Nottingham is structured so I don't know if this is an important factor.

However, the accommodation I am looking for should be not distant from the University Park and with separate sections for UGs and PGs. I would prefer to stay away from freshers! XD Any advice?

I've read you applied for Broadgate Park. It seems to be the most popular site. Do you recommend it to me too?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lm83)
    Hi Inspired!

I will be doing my PhD in the English School, Trent Building.

Yes, of course the closer I live, the easier it will be. But don't you think the distance from city centre is a thing you should also take into consideration? I have no idea how Nottingham is structured so I don't know if this is an important factor.

However, the accommodation I am looking for should be not distant from the University Park and with separate sections for UGs and PGs. I would prefer to stay away from freshers! XD Any advice?

I've read you applied for Broadgate Park. It seems to be the most popular site. Do you recommend it to me too?

Thanks.

I just checked where the Trent Building is located. Broadgate should be pretty close for you but yes, you would be kind of far away from the city centre though. Broadgate is probably the furthest away from the city centre actually, compared to other University-arranged accommodation. Although Beeston should have everything you would need in terms of facilities and shopping for everyday necessities etc. Everything is about 5 to 10 minutes walking distance from Broadgate. I'm not too sure what the scene is with the main pubs and clubs and the nightlife around Beeston, maybe being closer to the city centre is better for this, but again, I wouldn't be the right person to comment on this.. Maybe somebody local would see this and give an opinion. Although I do know for a fact that living in Broadgate would guarantee a good social life. They have a lot of events and happening throughout.

I'm pretty sure that all sites that have both UGs and PGs have separate blocks for each of them. Broadgate certainly does.

ReputationRep:
    hey people. just to let you know, as there seems to be some confusion, most students (apart from freshers living in halls/uni accommodation and often new postgrads) live in shared houses in Beeston, Dunkirk or Lenton. All are fine. Beeston is known as being calmer and more for postgrads and Lenton is the party place, but, that said, it's where most students live so don't be put off by that! If you are looking for a house share search google for the nottingham unipol website - it's like a free estate agent for nottingham students :-)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 1, 2012
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.