Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Computer Science at Kings College watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've recently received an offer from Kings college london to study computer science with a year in industry. I have marked this as my firm choice.

I was wondering if anyone who already studies at the University doing this course tell me about what the first years are like. Looking at the modules offered n the first and second year, it doesn't look interesting at all. Also some are not clear as to what is done, for example: Foundations of Computing.

However, since it's my best offer received in comparison (City - Software Engineering, Queen - Comp Sci Sandwich) with others I've opted to go for it.

It just would be nice to know what I'm getting myself into...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inst1nct)
    I've recently received an offer from Kings college london to study computer science with a year in industry. I have marked this as my firm choice.

I was wondering if anyone who already studies at the University doing this course tell me about what the first years are like. Looking at the modules offered n the first and second year, it doesn't look interesting at all. Also some are not clear as to what is done, for example: Foundations of Computing.

However, since it's my best offer received in comparison (City - Software Engineering, Queen - Comp Sci Sandwich) with others I've opted to go for it.

It just would be nice to know what I'm getting myself into...

I'm currently a first year at King's studying Computer Science.

Unfortunately (maybe fortunately?) your first year does count towards your degree. It counts roughly about 10-11% of your degree (1/9). The course is pretty intense, it's not really like other courses where you can doss in your first year and get through with scraping a pass. Unfortunately, you will have to work really hard in your first year, and make sure you attend lectures, go to all your tutorials and make sure to complete all your Lab material.

In regards to the module Foundations of Computing (FC1). FC1 is the only maths based module in the first year and you will do that module in your first semester.

These will be your modules next year (unless they change, which I doubt they will):

First semester:-

PRP - Programming Practice, Java
    FC1 - Foundations of Computing, Maths based module
    ELA - Elementary Logic with Applications, Logic module
    CS1- Computer Systems, looking at the architecture and design of Computers, like binary, MARIE, Pipelines, ISA's etc.

Second semester:-

PRA - Programming Applications, building GUI applications in Java and doing bit more advanced programming.
    PEP - Practical Experience Programming, programming module. This module could change, because the year before us had something totally different. We've had three lab assessments for this module which make up the full grade.
    AI - Artificial Intelligence
    DST - Data Structures, once again Java based module, concentrating on Data Structuring.

I unfortunately didn't work as hard as I should have and therefore did not do that well in my January Exams!!

The course itself is ok, though a lot of people complain on the course that they aren't enjoying it, but I think it's because they didn't expect to be doing that much programming.

One thing I would HIGHLY recommend you to do is learn Java during your summer holidays. And make sure you do all your tutorials and most importantly all the work you get in your Lab sessions. The success behind passing the exams are doing all your tutorials and labs!! If you can ace that, you will fly through the exam!

Another thing, a lot of people from King's go on to work at Investment Banks. Computer Science is not exactly reputable at King's, but the university itself is. I have attended many many social events (extra curricular activities) that I do outside of Uni and everyone seems to be quite impressed when they ask/find out that I go to King's. So that is indeed a bonus!

As long as your willing to work hard and are committed you will be fine!

Hope this helps..

EDIT: Forgot to mention that for Year of Industry, you HAVE to get an average of 60%>(2:1) in your first year in order to be able to do a placement. They will not let you do a placement if your average is lower than 60!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fa90)
    I'!
    I'm also going to king's next year i also have some question if you dont mind answering

Is it all exam based?

do a lot of people get high marks? 60% or higher?

is the course practically?

is it time consuming?

Thank you if you can help

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask what the exams are like? Is it more like short-answered based questions or written dialogue. Also what is the exam structured like? Is it everything you've learnt per semester in one exam or is it just multiple exams spread over a period of time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalMH)
    I'm also going to king's next year i also have some question if you dont mind answering

Is it all exam based?

do a lot of people get high marks? 60% or higher?

is the course practically?

is it time consuming?

Thank you if you can help

In first semester, everything is exams based. You get a few courseworks that aren't compulsary and do not count towards anything. Second semester, you have courseworks in every module that count towards the final grade of the module.

Yes, a lot of people do get a lot of high marks. A lot of my friends that worked hard got straight A's and some got A's and B's. But it is certainly doable as long as you do all your work!

When you mean practically, I presume your asking if the course is practical? In first semester, the only practical thing you do is the Java programming. Other than that it's all theory first semester. Second semester is a lot more practical. Our first coursework for PRA (the second programming module) was to build a Calculator. But you do get a bit of support, and as mentioned before as long as you cover all the material throughout the course, you will no doubt do well. A lot of people take first semester for granted, by the time they get to second semester, they realise it's a bit too late to catch up with everything, in particular programming!!

Time consuming? Yes it is fairly time consuming. You'll find yourself in second semester spending a great deal of time on your courseworks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hct1802)
    Can I ask what the exams are like? Is it more like short-answered based questions or written dialogue. Also what is the exam structured like? Is it everything you've learnt per semester in one exam or is it just multiple exams spread over a period of time?

Exams are proper exams(not multiple choice). Depending on the module, for instance CS1 (Computer Systems) it's a lot more like short answered questions with all your working out. It really depends on the module.

You have 8 modules. 4 First semester, and 4 in second semester. The first semester exams are for the four modules you covered in the beginning and the exams take place in January. Second semester exams take place in May/June).

And yes the exam material is everything that you've covered in that particular module, not anything outside that module..hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    I am going to King's as well. what are the lecturers like?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info, I also got another question regarding resources. For first year do we need any books and how easily accessible is everything. If we need books, then how much would they usually cost?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fa90)
    In first semester, everything is exams based. You get a few courseworks that aren't compulsary and do not count towards anything. Second semester, you have courseworks in every module that count towards the final grade of the module.

Yes, a lot of people do get a lot of high marks. A lot of my friends that worked hard got straight A's and some got A's and B's. But it is certainly doable as long as you do all your work!

When you mean practically, I presume your asking if the course is practical? In first semester, the only practical thing you do is the Java programming. Other than that it's all theory first semester. Second semester is a lot more practical. Our first coursework for PRA (the second programming module) was to build a Calculator. But you do get a bit of support, and as mentioned before as long as you cover all the material throughout the course, you will no doubt do well. A lot of people take first semester for granted, by the time they get to second semester, they realise it's a bit too late to catch up with everything, in particular programming!!

Time consuming? Yes it is fairly time consuming. You'll find yourself in second semester spending a great deal of time on your courseworks!
    Thank you much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the great replies, especially in regards to the first reply which I'm really grateful for.

I have a plan this summer to do extra work and paid for books relating to C++ as I thought this would be taught in the first or second year. However, knowing Java will be instead, I have another question, What Java programming book/s have been recommended by the lecturers to purchase?

I have previously taken the initative to watch those stanford tutorials on Java, of which I recommend everyone else to do as their great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkMDC...A56BC7F4A1F852

Also, what should I do any maths related study during the summer to prepare myself? Anything in particular?

Also, on another note. I've received offers from City and Queen Mary also. However, I've opted to go for Kings. Any opinions against this taking into consideration that the other universities have a good reputation for computer science?

Thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inst1nct)
    Thanks for the great replies, especially in regards to the first reply which I'm really grateful for.

I have a plan this summer to do extra work and paid for books relating to C++ as I thought this would be taught in the first or second year. However, knowing Java will be instead, I have another question, What Java programming book/s have been recommended by the lecturers to purchase?

I have previously taken the initative to watch those stanford tutorials on Java, of which I recommend everyone else to do as their great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkMDC...A56BC7F4A1F852

Also, what should I do any maths related study during the summer to prepare myself? Anything in particular?

Also, on another note. I've received offers from City and Queen Mary also. However, I've opted to go for Kings. Any opinions against this taking into consideration that the other universities have a good reputation for computer science?

Thanks for the help
    For our programming module, we were recommended a book called "Java for everyone". This book isn't the greatest book, but this is the one the lecturer followed throughout the module. There are many other books that you can get which are cheaper and better.

For all modules, the lecturers advise you that you don't need any other material than the lecture material to cover the module. So books aren't cumpolsary. Some books can cost a lot, for instance the Data Structures module, the book for that costs around £60-80. There is a library available where you can also get books from.

I will highly highly recommend watching all the Stanford videos on youtube as well as all the videos by "thenewboston". Both of these are great and help you understand things really well.

For the maths module, don't panic. It's discrete maths, most of the stuff you learn in that module you probably/most likely didn't even cover in your A level Maths. But it's pretty easy to pick up. I will probably recommend you to look into Discrete Mathematics a little bit more. But you can't really prepare much for that module as everything is taught in the lecturer and the lecturer is really really good! She is probably one of the best lecturers in the department!

Learning C++ will be beneficial as you have the option to use C/C++ in your Robotics group project in the second year. But I will highly recommend you to look into Java first!

The lectures. Lectures here at King's can be extremely boring, in particular the programming lecture!! Lectures are 3 hours long, which includes breaks in between as well as a large group tutorial during the last hour.

Hope this helps guy. I wish I got all this info before I started at king's as well lol.

Out of King's, QM and City, definitely go for King's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fa90)
    For our programming module, we were recommended a book called "Java for everyone". This book isn't the greatest book, but this is the one the lecturer followed throughout the module. There are many other books that you can get which are cheaper and better.

For all modules, the lecturers advise you that you don't need any other material than the lecture material to cover the module. So books aren't cumpolsary. Some books can cost a lot, for instance the Data Structures module, the book for that costs around £60-80. There is a library available where you can also get books from.

I will highly highly recommend watching all the Stanford videos on youtube as well as all the videos by "thenewboston". Both of these are great and help you understand things really well.

For the maths module, don't panic. It's discrete maths, most of the stuff you learn in that module you probably/most likely didn't even cover in your A level Maths. But it's pretty easy to pick up. I will probably recommend you to look into Discrete Mathematics a little bit more. But you can't really prepare much for that module as everything is taught in the lecturer and the lecturer is really really good! She is probably one of the best lecturers in the department!

Learning C++ will be beneficial as you have the option to use C/C++ in your Robotics group project in the second year. But I will highly recommend you to look into Java first!

The lectures. Lectures here at King's can be extremely boring, in particular the programming lecture!! Lectures are 3 hours long, which includes breaks in between as well as a large group tutorial during the last hour.

Hope this helps guy. I wish I got all this info before I started at king's as well lol.

Out of King's, QM and City, definitely go for King's.
    Thanks so much. You've answered all of my questions and addressed all of my concerns, I really do appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be at KCL in September, if anyone want to add me to Facebook before we go then pm me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fa90)
    what software do you use for programming at KCL? do they provide it or do you need to purchase it? And is there any other programs that will help us through the course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iholdthem)
    what software do you use for programming at KCL? do they provide it or do you need to purchase it? And is there any other programs that will help us through the course
    You can use Notepad, Netbeans or Eclipse any IDE tbh is acceptable and up to you.

These are all free so no need to be supplied.

ReputationRep:
    ^ + Good

ReputationRep:
    Can you take any extra courses?

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm going to start Computer Science at KCL this year and I'm wondering how is the timetable like? Are there early classes everyday o the week?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    3 hours a lecture? My uni has 50 minute lectures lol

ReputationRep:
    i've just received a offer from king's college even tough my gcse maths was at a grad C
    my question is basically how much would i have to improve my maths skills in order to achinve in this uni

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2014
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.