Turn on thread page Beta

Evening/ball dress help! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, my 6th form ball is in July and although its early, with exams I hope to get my dress buying out of the way. I'm looking for a floor length dress (not like a big cinderella one) for about the max price of £180. However, I'm apprehensive about buying off the net and buying in store isnt really an option(no dress shops around here). Can anyone suggest any reputable dress shops?! (Not lightinthebox as this is the main website I have been looking at so far). Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Have you got a TK Maxx anywhere near you? I got my year 11 and year 13 prom dresses from there, for £40 and £45 respectively, and a dress for a ball last year for £20. There's a bit of luck and patience involved in finding something, but it pays off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoapyDish)
    Have you got a TK Maxx anywhere near you? I got my year 11 and year 13 prom dresses from there, for £40 and £45 respectively, and a dress for a ball last year for £20. There's a bit of luck and patience involved in finding something, but it pays off!
    Unfortunately the nearest one is 2 hours away :| I got my year 11 ball dress there but its hit and miss and don't want to put all my eggs in1 basket.

ReputationRep:
    Monsoon? I remember them having some nice dresses when I was looking for my prom dress

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    It might be worth just taking a day trip somewhere? Not sure where you are, but in most towns there'll be a fairly good shopping centre and train/bus station - where was the TK Maxx you went to before? Maybe there's another one near-ish you which is in a centre with other shops? As for the actual shops: Monsoon, maybe... Debenhams is quite good, lots of different ranges and not always too expensive. Totally depends where you actually are, but if you travel into your nearest city, they're bound to have loads of places...

ReputationRep:
    Buy mine! :awesome:.

Try Coast or Debenhams maybe?

ReputationRep:
    coast, monsoon, debenhams, house of fraser, french connection, etc. just go to the nearest big city and see what you can find.

online shopping...try ASOS. its great service, easy returns process and loads of choice.

ReputationRep:
    If you're going to buy from somewhere off the high street or a department store, its worth asking/telling others who may have got their dress from there in case there's a DDD (double dress disaster)

A friend ordered from lightinthebox and her dress looked stunning, so stick with them and I dont think you can go far wrong. Dynasty UK is also worth a try - i paid £200 for my 6th form leavers dress from them and I also managed to win a beauty pageant in it last year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abi24)
    If you're going to buy from somewhere off the high street or a department store, its worth asking/telling others who may have got their dress from there in case there's a DDD (double dress disaster)

A friend ordered from lightinthebox and her dress looked stunning, so stick with them and I dont think you can go far wrong. Dynasty UK is also worth a try - i paid £200 for my 6th form leavers dress from them and I also managed to win a beauty pageant in it last year
    Awesome thanks for your advice I'd forgotten that someone might buy the same dress. I'll just keep stalking lightinthebox to see what pictures people upload of them in their dresses, their quality looks fantastic though so I hope whatever dress I get is a showstopper, quite sad but every girl wants to be the belle of the ball hehe!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natashapt)
    Awesome thanks for your advice I'd forgotten that someone might buy the same dress. I'll just keep stalking lightinthebox to see what pictures people upload of them in their dresses, their quality looks fantastic though so I hope whatever dress I get is a showstopper, quite sad but every girl wants to be the belle of the ball hehe!
    Trust me i know the feeling - i'm absolutely hunting high and low for the perfect pageant dress. Thinking about taking a lightinthebox gamble as well but part of me is saying stick to what I know and brands I know work for me...arrgghhhhh haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abi24)
    Trust me i know the feeling - i'm absolutely hunting high and low for the perfect pageant dress. Thinking about taking a lightinthebox gamble as well but part of me is saying stick to what I know and brands I know work for me...arrgghhhhh haha
    Thing is their dresses look gorgeous but I've found one now i love on dressespro.com but not sure if its a reliable site or not?! I wish there was some way to know which sites are scams or not!

ReputationRep:
    Bump.. just wondering if anybody knows if dressespro.com is a reliable site?

(Original post by natashapt)
    Bump.. just wondering if anybody knows if dressespro.com is a reliable site?

Dresspro IS genuine. My mum's friend ordered her ball gown from there, it took 7days, custom made to fit (you give them your measurements), and it's free shipping - all the way from USA. I put in an order on Sunday. When it arrives, I'll post it so you can see.

If you want a dress, which is different and hasn't been seen on the high street, I defo recommend this website. The dresses are stunning :yep:

ReputationRep:
    monsoon

ReputationRep:
    You so want mine! Gorgeous, floor length but simple - and the best thing? Free! I'm wearing my half sister's cos I'm a cheapskate :lol:
    But yeah, I second the above suggestions - monsoon, coast, tk maxx are your best bets.

ReputationRep:
    omg debenhams have some amazing ones!! i tried one on a few days ago and it looked lushhh!! amazing, it was!! good luck x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    Dresspro IS genuine. My mum's friend ordered her ball gown from there, it took 7days, custom made to fit (you give them your measurements), and it's free shipping - all the way from USA. I put in an order on Sunday. When it arrives, I'll post it so you can see.

If you want a dress, which is different and hasn't been seen on the high street, I defo recommend this website. The dresses are stunning :yep:
    Thankyou so much I saw a dress I loved on there and was wary but am now going to go for it! Have you receieved yours yet? x

ReputationRep:
    Try Very.com

ReputationRep:
    You can sometimes get floor length dresses in New Look if you look hard enough. They're usually more hippie style dresses but very pretty. I've got one that's white with rose coloured flowers on and it's really very elegant.
    If that's not you then try lipsy.co.uk as they have a few long ones and they show you in their size guide which size will fit you =)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 20, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.