Turn on thread page Beta

Rank the sciences in order of "importance" watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potassium^2)
    I came here to post that picture.

Beaten to it again :sad: always second best.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gradjobplease)
    Does everything in TSR need a ranking? Rank THESE sandwiches in order of prestige/taste/career prospects.

Tuna
    Ham
    Cheese
    Bacon
    Turkey
    This does not account for combinations >.< Turkey, cheese, and ham Subway would be so good right now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    1. Mathematics
    2. Everything else
    My thoughts exactly, Maths is a science, physics is applied maths, the core principles of chemistry are determined by quantum mechanics, biology in very high depth requires a thorough knowledge of chemistry to understand it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neillya1)
    I came here to post that picture.

Beaten to it again :sad: always second best.
    Me too..

ReputationRep:
    Biology>Chemistry>Physics

Mostly because when I think of how much they relate to Medicine, it goes in this order.

Edit: it seems as though someone disagrees... LOL

ReputationRep:

:awesome:

Edit: curses, beaten to it! That'll teach me to only read the first page of a thread in future

ReputationRep:
    Importance in terms of what? It really is relative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    1. Mathematics
    2. Everything else
    Mathematics cannot be proven with experiment, and is therefore not a science in my opinion.

I'll grant you that it is fundamental to science, but without physics, mathematics is useless in terms of understanding the nature of things, i.e. science.
    Physics would be useless without maths, but physics qualifies as a science in my mind because it can be proven with experiment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InsaneFandom)
    I'd say your definition of importance is pretty dodgey :/
    I reckon chemistry & physics are required for more degrees than biology is and probably have more varied career prospects- that doesn't make the actual disciplines more important
    But yeah, I couldn't call it.

Science in general is awesome :cool:
    Rep for House/Wilson!!

ReputationRep:
    Without Physics, there would be no Chemistry, but without Chemistry there would be no Physics.

So the definitive list is-

1) Chemistry=Physics
    2) Biology

Saying that, I still love Biology though. Much more interesting than atoms and protons and waves and crap. Just my opinion.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    1. Chemistry, Physics, Biology

Seems fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    Physics > Chemistry > Biology

Physics is the science of everything, chemistry can mostly be dealt with using the Schrödinger equation (physics) and biology either boils down to chemistry or stamp collecting -in my humble opinion .

Maths is not a (proper) science! It cannot be proven with experiment or observation. If you consider maths to be a science, then you're really doing physics.

ReputationRep:
    We're seriously ranking the three areas of science? Jeez...

They're all equally important. Without chemistry we would have no medicines, no food industry, no fuel, not even clean water. Without physics: no electricity, transport, computers. Without biology, we would have no understanding of humans or animals work, and we'd all die of horrible infections, diseases and injuries. And if you want to bring mathematics into it, no understanding behind most of this science, no currency or even basic counting. Anyone who thinks their favourite subject area can be ranked against others is a smug idiot. Science is a fundamental part of society, it forms the very basic knowledge we need to keep us alive. They're all equally important.

I really don't understand why people get some sort of smug superiority by claiming the subject they take is better than another. Yes, maybe if you're that bothered about it you could say that Physics is more important than Knitting Studies, but you can't compare things that the world would fall apart without.

ReputationRep:
    I think they're all vital for each other, in all honesty.

They're all important.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares about purity? Just because one science is another 'applied' (which is a gross simplification), does that make it less important?
    I'd say Chemistry is by far the most important. Biology and physics maybe joint; physics is fundamental for technological progression, which influences nearly EVERYTHING (except my beloved English Literature - piss off Kindle!), while biology is fundamental for medicine and veterinary.
    Chemistry is essential for both. Chemistry is not as specific as biology, and is not as theoretical as physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    We're seriously ranking the three areas of science? Jeez...

They're all equally important. Without chemistry we would have no medicines, no food industry, no fuel, not even clean water. Without physics: no electricity, transport, computers. Without biology, we would have no understanding of humans or animals work, and we'd all die of horrible infections, diseases and injuries. And if you want to bring mathematics into it, no understanding behind most of this science, no currency or even basic counting. Anyone who thinks their favourite subject area can be ranked against others is a smug idiot. Science is a fundamental part of society, it forms the very basic knowledge we need to keep us alive. They're all equally important.

I really don't understand why people get some sort of smug superiority by claiming the subject they take is better than another. Yes, maybe if you're that bothered about it you could say that Physics is more important than Knitting Studies, but you can't compare things that the world would fall apart without.
    This is TSR.

That's what we do

ReputationRep:
    What the hell is importance? For an extremely basic analogy.. do you want to cure cancer or go to Mars? It's imperative that we have top scientists in each field.

ReputationRep:
    Dude, you're forgetting GEOLOGY.

Geology is the greatest, best and easiest science, especially for those who want to be medics.
    Why take maths, chemistry, biology and physics, when you could swap physics/maths for geology?
    It's so much easier to get that coveted set of straight A grades.

It's also a great conversation starter if you're trying to pick up girls:
    "Hey there: I'm a geologist"
    "Isn't geology just looking at rocks?"
    "It's so much more than that, let me explain..."
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    People are going to come up with the Maths>Physics>Chemistry>Biology argument because it's obvious, roll on all the "you couldn't have chemistry without physics"

I personally think chemistry is the most important for modern society, developing alternative fuels and better medicines are two of the most important situations facing us at the moment

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.