Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iepnauy)
    Excuse my ignorance. But I always thought that many medical schools ask for Chemistry above all other sciences? Some Medical schools (peninsula from the top of my head) don't mind if you only have biology to AS, whereas you Chemistry?
    You're right, in terms of Medicine admissions it is Chemistry>Biology>Physics.

I was talking about the Medical field itself though. It's kinda subjective I suppose, but I've always thought of Medicine being most closely related to/reliant on Biology...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    1. Mathematics
    2. Everything else
    This.

ReputationRep:
    My Physics teacher (rather biased) always boasts that Physics is "the daddy of all sciences" as Chemistry - sub-atomic particles, reactions etc. are explained by physics and that Biology is branched off from Chemistry (Enzymes are proteins which are made from molecules which contain sub-atomic particles etc.)

However, as many people have mentioned - Maths is the Overlord of all science.

Maths > Physics > Chemistry > Biology

But in my opinion, Biology is the most important for everyday issues, as it clearly relates to every human's health etc. Chemistry is second as you use chemicals/reactions/mixtures everyday etc. with Physics (textbook physics) being last... YOU CAN'T SEE TORQUE

ReputationRep:
    Is everyone just pos repping those that agree with their view, and neg repping others? As that' what it seems like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aku-gila)
    Biology>Chemistry>Physics

Mostly because when I think of how much they relate to Medicine, it goes in this order.

Edit: it seems as though someone disagrees... LOL
    Erm, it doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vedderfan94)
    Well obviously Physics as the world would not exist without the laws of Physics.
    We're talking about the study of sciences, not the creation of them. Without biology and chemistry you wouldn't exist either. Durr, stupid argument...

I'd like to point out that the division of chemistry/physics/biology is COMPLETELY ARBITRARY. They're defined by consensus ONLY. You can't therefore say which is 'more important', because they all form the empirical study of sciences.

(Original post by de_monies)
    Is everyone just pos repping those that agree with their view, and neg repping others? As that' what it seems like
    Welcome to TSR!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arcanine)
    Erm, it doesn't.
    Erm, it does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    We're seriously ranking the three areas of science? Jeez...

They're all equally important. Without chemistry we would have no medicines, no food industry, no fuel, not even clean water. Without physics: no electricity, transport, computers. Without biology, we would have no understanding of humans or animals work, and we'd all die of horrible infections, diseases and injuries. And if you want to bring mathematics into it, no understanding behind most of this science, no currency or even basic counting. Anyone who thinks their favourite subject area can be ranked against others is a smug idiot. Science is a fundamental part of society, it forms the very basic knowledge we need to keep us alive. They're all equally important.

I really don't understand why people get some sort of smug superiority by claiming the subject they take is better than another. Yes, maybe if you're that bothered about it you could say that Physics is more important than Knitting Studies, but you can't compare things that the world would fall apart without.
    the first intelligent response i've read all thread +1 rep. not forgetting to mention the fact that once you study any of these to a high enough level, the wall between the sciences actually becomes very thin indeed. you will find yourself applying all three. or at least, this is what chem profs have said to me.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, it does.
    Go down to A-levels. Chemistry is compulsory, Biology isn't. Nearly all other universities have the same policy.

You just got owned you soft mother****er.

ReputationRep:
    self-defeating thread cause no one who takes this question seriously has any valid opinion on it

science is not a ****ing pokedex, there is no "ranking" of "importance"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    Define "Importance".
    He did, to be fair.
    Yet thats not what my definition of importance would be.

If we were talking general importance, then it would be Physics for me.
    But under OPs terms, biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayTeeKay)
    To be fair, that's probably where I heard it from Feynman is amazing!
    yeah leonard mladinovic or whatever his name is said it as well. he basically said that mathematics would be purely axiomatic (abstract) if it wasn't applied to anything. so whilst it is a great tool for understanding the universe, you wouldn't use it alone - you would also need physical observations to explain the mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely no doubt- Physics is the most important.

If all the sciences were condensed in to just one science which would best decribe them? Physics- physical stuff. Everything that science is concerned with is concerned with physical stuff. The domain of biology- living things - is still physical stuff. Chemistry is physical stuff.

But you couldn't say that everything physical is biological. A building is not biological (unless it has some ivy growing on the outside). True, a knowledge of chemistry is needed to build its components. And so I'd say that chemistry is the second most important science. In fact, biology can just be regarded as a kind of chemistry, the chemistry of life.

So it's:

1. Physics (of course, it's nice that it is so closely tied in with such a pure subject as maths too)
    2. Chemistry
    3. Biology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arcanine)
    Go down to A-levels. Chemistry is compulsory, Biology isn't. Nearly all other universities have the same policy.

You just got owned you soft mother****er.

I was talking about the Medical field itself though. It's kinda subjective I suppose, but I've always thought of Medicine being most closely related to/reliant on Biology...
    Wow, this must be really embarrassing for you.

P.S. You could have saved yourself the shame just by looking at the top of the page or my sig...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potassium^2)
    Beaten to it...

Good choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iepnauy)
    Excuse my ignorance. But I always thought that many medical schools ask for Chemistry above all other sciences? Some Medical schools (peninsula from the top of my head) don't mind if you only have biology to AS, whereas you Chemistry?
    I can understand because Physics can be explained in Pure & Applied Mathematics. So as long as you've got Maths, Chemistry will become the most important 'science'.

But, yes, if you could only study one science , even though I think that Physics is the father of them all, I think that Chemistry would definitely stand you in the best stead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    but without Chemistry there would be no Physics.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    it looks familiar :beard:
    I wonder where i could've seen it before? :beard:

Seriously though, when i first clicked on this thread i saw it and went 'huh? I don't remember posting on here!?!' Talk about dumb blonde!

ReputationRep:
    Art is the most important science.

think about that one...

ReputationRep:

It's not. Especially not A level biology.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.