The Student Room Group

Rank the sciences in order of "importance"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Maths >>>>>> Everything Else.
Reply 81
Original post by Persephone9
It's not. Especially not A level biology.

I actually think it is. Not talking about A levels.
Reply 82
sciences are all equally important
Reply 83
Physics, Chemistry, Biology

On the other hand, I sometimes feel that Physics and Chemistry have equal importance :s-smilie:
Original post by Aku-gila
I actually think it is. Not talking about A levels.

It's actually not. Pharmacology is a huge example of chemistry being more relevant.
Definitely tuna.
Reply 86
depends entirely on your course and what you want to do if im honest but in general i would say chem and physics are pretty much the same with biology just behind
Reply 87
well my chemistry teacher seems to have noticed that people who do physics make better chemists than people who do biology. Also from what I have seen a lot of the advances such as structure of DNA etc have been due to advances in chemistry and physics. So in that case physics>chemistry>biology. Having said this, MATHEMATICS IS THE QUEEN OF SCIENCE.
They're all just as important as each other.
Reply 89
It's actually not. Pharmacology is a huge example of chemistry being more relevant.

It actually is.

Pharmacology is only a small branch of Medicine.

Look at this for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicine#Basic_sciences

It's to do with the basic sciences involved in Medicine. Looking at them, the vast majority are most closely related to Biology, a few (such as Pharmaclogy) are related to Chemistry and even fewer (such as biophysics) are related to Physics.
Original post by Gryffindor
I was just wondering out of:

Biology
Chemistry
Physics

which TSR sees as the most important. And by importance i mean most required for university courses, most relevant to everyday life, the most useful, most respected, most widely used, which opens the most doors, stuff like that :smile:

I am a Biologist, so naturally biased, but:

Sociology is applied psychology,

Psychology is applied Biology

Biology is applied Chemistry

Chemistry is applied Physics

Physics is applied Maths.

So you could argue it that way, but then again, fundamental Physics, kinda begins to be metaphysics, which links in with philosophy. :confused:
Original post by Aku-gila
It actually is.

Pharmacology is only a small branch of Medicine.

Look at this for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicine#Basic_sciences

It's to do with the basic sciences involved in Medicine. Looking at them, the vast majority are most closely related to Biology, a few (such as Pharmaclogy) are related to Chemistry and even fewer (such as biophysics) are related to Physics.

I think that you'll find upon actually studying them, that your focus will more on the chemical process.
If you count maths as a science then it's got to be maths.

Original post by TlanTlan

So out of the "sciences" physics is the most important, and physics and maths are in the same bed with each other(mathematicians are very good at physics and physicists are very good at maths)

Not always. I'm good at maths, but in Physics I find anything that doesn't involve an equation pretty tricky.
Reply 93
I think that you'll find upon actually studying them, that your focus will more on the chemical process.

I was talking about the whole Medical field, not the course specifically.
Original post by Aaargh
Why?

Well...why not?
Original post by lonelykatana
He did, to be fair.
Yet thats not what my definition of importance would be.

If we were talking general importance, then it would be Physics for me.
But under OPs terms, biology.

There's my quick typing and not actually putting words down properly :frown: Oops

What I mean is yes the OP defined.. but everyone is now giving their preferred science due to one definition or the other - everyone is using a different definition.
Reply 96
Original post by gradjobplease
Does everything in TSR need a ranking? Rank THESE sandwiches in order of prestige/taste/career prospects.

Tuna
Ham
Cheese
Bacon
Turkey

Cheese, turkey, bacon, ham ,tuna :biggrin:
Original post by Potassium^2

ZOMG

Why didn't you firm Cambridge? (I'm curious :biggrin:)
Reply 98
Bazinga
Original post by A level Az
ZOMG

Why didn't you firm Cambridge? (I'm curious :biggrin:)

It's not for me :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending