Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

can i get a tuition fee loan even if i get an nhs bursary? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I've just done my form for student finance, and my estimate has come out as:
    Maintenance loan: £3263
    Tuition fee loan: £0
    I just had a little question before I fully apply for that amount...

This may sound reeeeeeally stupid but I thought that the nhs won't pay for our tuition fees in full so we were still entitled to a non-income assessed and further reduced student loan (which I thought was the tuition fee loan) also? Or am I completly wrong and that is everything that I get?

Thank you for any help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie2x)
    Hi!
    I've just done my form for student finance, and my estimate has come out as:
    Maintenance loan: £3263
    Tuition fee loan: £0
    I just had a little question before I fully apply for that amount...

This may sound reeeeeeally stupid but I thought that the nhs won't pay for our tuition fees in full so we were still entitled to a non-income assessed and further reduced student loan (which I thought was the tuition fee loan) also? Or am I completly wrong and that is everything that I get?

Thank you for any help!
    The NHS pay your fees in their entirety. Don't worry.

Your maintenance loan does sound very high though. NHS-funded students are only entitled to a non-means tested reduced student loan of £2324. This is for living costs. You can then apply for a means tested NHS bursary. You aren't eligible for a maintenance grant.

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay! I thought that because the bursary was means tested some people may not.
    And I'm going to St Georges uni in London, so could thatt be why its higher? Cos I know students in london get a little more?
    Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie2x)
    Ah okay! I thought that because the bursary was means tested some people may not.
    And I'm going to St Georges uni in London, so could thatt be why its higher? Cos I know students in london get a little more?
    Thanks for your help!
    Ah yes, that'll be why!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.