Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I can completed a 400 page standard fiction novel in about 3 hours. Is that normal??

ReputationRep:
    That's above average, definitely. I can read reasonably fast, the key is to unlearn sub-vocalization, that is saying the words you read in your mind.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer to take my time and digest the information. If that means going over a certain section 5 times, then so be it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswald Mosley)
    That's above average, definitely. I can read reasonably fast, the key is to unlearn sub-vocalization, that is saying the words you read in your mind.
    yes, actually that's what I don't do. sub-vocalisation i found is a hinderance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helpful_Charlie)
    I prefer to take my time and digest the information. If that means going over a certain section 5 times, then so be it.
    Re-reading a section of text actually hinders comprehension as it disturbs your rhythm of reading. It is better to read on even if you don't fully understand something you have read as your brain can usually link up the missing pieces as you read on. Reading fast is also generally better for comprehension; if you're reading a few words at a time, it is easier for your mind to link the words together rather than if you read word by word.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I got the last Harry Potter book at midnight and had finished it by 4.30am. That's 4 hours (if you consider that it took 30 minutes to get home and snuggled into bed with it).

I've been reading since I was tiny though. I blame one of my parents for being a librarian and just leaving me in the kids section while she worked

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelbones)
    Well, I got the last Harry Potter book at midnight and had finished it by 4.30am. That's 4 hours (if you consider that it took 30 minutes to get home and snuggled into bed with it).

I've been reading since I was tiny though. I blame one of my parents for being a librarian and just leaving me in the kids section while she worked

ReputationRep:
    i can never read fast,always reading book with sub-vocalisation so can the words be in mind.but except for a novel,just scanning and know the main idea is ok.

ReputationRep:
    I read really fast. I've been able to read since I was 2 or 3 though because my parents taught me, whereas many kids don't learn till they start nursery or primary school.

I can finish an average book in about 2 hours

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.