Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

We do we waste our time discussing news articles on TSR? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed on TSR, especially in the current affairs section, that people like to start a thread, post a link to a news article, and the thread ends up with 30+ pages with discussion about the article. Generally 2 pages into the thread the discussions go off topic, why do we (myself included) bother wasting our time doing this? It seems like an addiction. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Mostly so the conspiracy nuts can get their insane theories out there.

Helps to stop their heads from exploding.

Idea for new topic:

"Tin foil hats, do they work? And is that there gov'mnt tryin' to orchestrate a new world order led by penguins displaced by global warming?"

ReputationRep:
    Wanna have real discussion about news?

Check out the serious pages posted on Reddit.

ReputationRep:
    What could possibly be more important to discuss than current events?

ReputationRep:
    Because it's all we can do, it's not like young people have a say in anything that matters so we squabble amongst ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    We does this thread title make sense?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I think discussing about anything is good. Well, it is more useful that going out partying. It is fun and also informative. I livek doing it.

ReputationRep:
    Well young people come on to TSR because its a way of seeing what their peers think of different issues.

I would imagine that a lot of the 6th formers for instance, who are interested in current affairs, don't have that many of their real life friends who are as interested and wanting to talk to them about it, so they can come on TSR, ignore the troll posts, and see what other 6th formers who are like them, or university students or graduates who have benefited from more education experience, have to say, so its a way of building up knowledge from listening to the discussion of your peers.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.