Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I'm currently doing maths, physics, German and history at AS. I know I've made some bad choices, and if I could go back to the beginning, I would replace physics and history with chemistry and biology. Of course, I know it's too late for this, so I'm trying to figure out what on earth I can do for A2 to turn my situation around.

My non-negotiable subjects are maths and German. I'm almost definitely dropping history when I'm done with AS, and I'm suffering from a lack of motivation in physics, so I'm currently a little unsure. I know it's possible to do a whole A level in one year, but because of the way my school's timetabling works, the only science subject they can guarantee for this method is environmental sciences, but I'm really more into the pure science subjects.

I would also like to pick up further maths, because I really enjoy maths and it's only an afterschool subject at my school, so it won't take up any room on my timetable. I suppose my real question is whether or not it's advisable to take on the full A level in one year.

Also, which subject would you recommend to go with maths and German? I'm not sure about what I want to do at university besides that it will be maths/science based, so I'm trying to keep my options as open as possible. I'm open to continuing physics next year, if the department will take me back after my complete disregard for deadlines. :/

Any advice from people who have done an A level (or more) in a year would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I did A-level further maths in a year. (My 2nd year)

The AS was taught, in normal lesson time. I did this alongside Maths and Bio A2s. Then the A2 was self taught.

For further maths I'd say that if you're interested in Maths (especially if you're looking in to a degree in that area after A-level) then it's definitely doable and probably a good choice.

It does take a bit of commitment to do the study in your own time, but that's another thing you can add on to your personal statement etc and you should have enough time if you're doing just those three. Or of course you might be able to be taught both, depending on your timetable etc. Theres a lot of support out there for Further Maths too, on the net, and things your school can sign up for.

I'm not sure what else to say so if you have any more questions PM or quote me. I will advocate maths since I'm studying it at uni but I enjoyed bio too, just pick what you like/are good at/can relate to future plans. Oh also for reference I did AQA maths/further maths and Edexcel SNAB Bio.

ReputationRep:
    Im currently doing an intensive Alevel course, Im doing sociology and english language both in one year, they arn't as intense as the subjects you have said, I made the mistake of doing those subjects first time round the normal way and failing, which is why Im doing this course im on now. I also did maths all in one year last year.

To be honest, I don't find it any different to if i was doing the subjects the normal way, doing the A2 actually helps with the AS as you can apply more advanced theories to your AS work. I just see the 2 different levels as being different subjects, if that makes sense, its no more hard work then if you were doing 4 subjects.

hope that helps

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.