Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

    (Original post by Arteta)
    Oh I forgot to say that the only reason they suspect we may not pay full rent next time is because they know how bad their service has been, they know i'm not happy and we have pending Unipol inspections. They've had MANY complaints this year and I think they know that there may be a large group of students that won't pay the full amount, they're preparing now and they don't want to let any money get away.
    I think it's illegal though.

    I'm going to the CAB tomorrow, but i'm trying to research tonight.
    I'm really sorry I haven't read the whole thread.

    But a few things to keep in mind:

    - If you feel that the landlord has breached his contract with you - you can stop paying him. Register a dispute with him in writing immediately. Providing an inadequate service isn't allowed.

    - If he has broken away from the agreed payment method or terms that is a breach of contract on his part.

    - Also he has a number of obligations to you as a tenant under the Housing Act (2007?), you may want to search a long those lines.

    - Contact a solicitor who specialises in housing matters, you will usually find one on a typical high street. They are not expensive and if there is a large group of you, it will more than likely be cost effective.

    Just wanted to add that there are a lot of people saying 'carry on paying etc.' and they make valid points.

    You may also want to consider other ramifications of with-holidng rent, they may start to hassle you more etc.

    My best advice is probably to go see a solicitor as soon as possible. Also, document your money problems and the situation it has put you (not enough food, basic living etc.) and complain about the cleaner immediately.

    Is your cleaning contract seperate to your tenancy? If so I can't see anything wrong with stopping payments to him/her.

    (Original post by Arteta)
    Thankyou for the idea, but it won't work.

    I've already checked and they don't have the deposits protected. I have a licence agreement and not a tenancy agreement therefore they don't need to protect it :\
    OK, that blows that idea out of the water - legislation is clear that it applies only to ASTs.

    I guess I should have thought of that given that is standard practice for student lets!
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.