Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Failed twice, next test in a few days. Completely lost confidence. Help? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite a good driver in my actual lessons, don't mess up much, and I drive a lot in my own time so I'm constantly practising, but something about the test just makes me so nervous and I just fall apart. Both tests I've had one serious and they have just been things that I never normally do (I know, sounds like just an excuse but it's true), and in my last test my examiner said that I drove fine for the first half but she saw the nerves kick in and I just lost it, and I ended up failing in the last five-ten minutes. Any advice? I'm so scared for my upcoming test, I don't even want to take it I'm so nervous. I can't face a third fail, really can't afford it either, and driving lessons are costing so much too. Have you got any advice? I really want to postpone my test but I know I can drive, I just need to overcome that last hurdle. I'm not unsafe either; I know being unsafe in your test is a valid reason why people shouldn't just get a driving licence because they wan't one, and I must have done something relatively unsafe to fail both times, but when I'm in a car feeling relaxed outside of the test, I'm completely fine. Or maybe that's just what I'm trying to convince myself... Ha. Arggggh. Most of my friends passed first or second time, and it's hard not to be bothered by it, kind of adds pressure, and I don't want people to think I'm a bad driver, I just get so incredibly nervous!

Any advice? I'm sorry for all this rambling.

ReputationRep:
    Breathe, and take your time.

ReputationRep:
    Not got much advice to be honest but to be fair most (if not all) people who have driving exams get unbelievably crazy. For instance, when I was doing my bay park my left foot was shaking like crazy on the clutch.. I'd never been so nervous in my life-- you've just got to not think of the fact that it's a test even though it's hard to avoid. Think positive. Perhaps chill a bit before the exam, put your mind off things since overcomplicating your head can also do more harm than good. You'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Don't give up.

I failed a good 3/4 times and I really wanted to give up. Retests and lessons are so expensive but once you do pass its all worth it and it seems like a bad memory.

Good Luck on your next one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jthlm)
    I'm quite a good driver in my actual lessons, don't mess up much, and I drive a lot in my own time so I'm constantly practising, but something about the test just makes me so nervous and I just fall apart. Both tests I've had one serious and they have just been things that I never normally do (I know, sounds like just an excuse but it's true), and in my last test my examiner said that I drove fine for the first half but she saw the nerves kick in and I just lost it, and I ended up failing in the last five-ten minutes. Any advice? I'm so scared for my upcoming test, I don't even want to take it I'm so nervous. I can't face a third fail, really can't afford it either, and driving lessons are costing so much too. Have you got any advice? I really want to postpone my test but I know I can drive, I just need to overcome that last hurdle. I'm not unsafe either; I know being unsafe in your test is a valid reason why people shouldn't just get a driving licence because they wan't one, and I must have done something relatively unsafe to fail both times, but when I'm in a car feeling relaxed outside of the test, I'm completely fine. Or maybe that's just what I'm trying to convince myself... Ha. Arggggh. Most of my friends passed first or second time, and it's hard not to be bothered by it, kind of adds pressure, and I don't want people to think I'm a bad driver, I just get so incredibly nervous!

Any advice? I'm sorry for all this rambling.
    I only read the first couple of lines and for some reason I knew this was going to be about lack of confidence/nervousness etc.

I failed my first test and I've been driving from a very young age. Without seeming like I'm bragging I am better driver than most people I know.

However, I passed in my second test by making sure I was focussing for the full 40 mins.

The test I failed, wasn't because of the nervousness alone. The nervousness lead to a lack of concentration.

Also search on google for tips on conquering nerves generally. It might help. My personal method is either to:
    a) to artificially boost my confidence by repeatedly telling myself positive things, thinking positive etc. or
    b) totally ignoring the importance/significance of the situation and just concentrating fully on the task at hand.

Try either. Don't run away from your test, no point trying to avoid it, you have to tackle it someday and you are probably much better off with a licence than without.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone

ReputationRep:
    I was in the exact same position as you, passed my third test today

All my minors were cause by nerves, and he said if it wasn't for that I'd not have got any minors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazy smurf)
    Breathe, and take your time.

(Original post by popdrops)
    Not got much advice to be honest but to be fair most (if not all) people who have driving exams get unbelievably crazy. For instance, when I was doing my bay park my left foot was shaking like crazy on the clutch.. I'd never been so nervous in my life-- you've just got to not think of the fact that it's a test even though it's hard to avoid. Think positive. Perhaps chill a bit before the exam, put your mind off things since overcomplicating your head can also do more harm than good. You'll be fine!

(Original post by Harvey121)
    Don't give up.

I failed a good 3/4 times and I really wanted to give up. Retests and lessons are so expensive but once you do pass its all worth it and it seems like a bad memory.

Good Luck on your next one!

(Original post by Steph90)
    I only read the first couple of lines and for some reason I knew this was going to be about lack of confidence/nervousness etc.

I failed my first test and I've been driving from a very young age. Without seeming like I'm bragging I am better driver than most people I know.

However, I passed in my second test by making sure I was focussing for the full 40 mins.

The test I failed, wasn't because of the nervousness alone. The nervousness lead to a lack of concentration.

Also search on google for tips on conquering nerves generally. It might help. My personal method is either to:
    a) to artificially boost my confidence by repeatedly telling myself positive things, thinking positive etc. or
    b) totally ignoring the importance/significance of the situation and just concentrating fully on the task at hand.

Try either. Don't run away from your test, no point trying to avoid it, you have to tackle it someday and you are probably much better off with a licence than without.

Good luck.

(Original post by EnVogue)
    I was in the exact same position as you, passed my third test today

All my minors were cause by nerves, and he said if it wasn't for that I'd not have got any minors.
    Just want to say thanks so much you guys I passed yesterday!

ReputationRep:
    Congrats

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations and happy driving

ReputationRep:
    Before your test, take a look in a mirror. Give yourself a big, cheesy grin and a wink and tell yourself that youll pass. Youll feel stupid but it'll work

ReputationRep:
    Oops, just saw you've already passed. Well done

ReputationRep:
    congratulations!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jthlm)
    Great news. Congratulations & Well done.

ReputationRep:
    Only a few days waiting list Lucky sod the waiting list for the Theory where i live is 3 weeks and for the practical is around 5 weeks :L

Congratulations Anyway.Take your time Keep Safe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jthlm)
    congrats brah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottChalmers)
    Only a few days waiting list Lucky sod the waiting list for the Theory where i live is 3 weeks and for the practical is around 5 weeks :L

Congratulations Anyway.Take your time Keep Safe

(Original post by shinytoy)
    congrats brah
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi i'm in same position as u, i've been driving since i was young but i failled twice my test cos of my nerves,And i've got no courage or stranght to book my test for the third time am scare i lost my confidence completely, i can't stop crying and ask myself WHY help me please what shall i do?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.