Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone on here knows of the rough prices for travel vaccinations through the NHS, I know some are free, but have heard that the majority you have to pay for.

I am travelling to Borneo & Nepal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Nepal: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/travel/asia/nepal.shtml

Borneo: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/travel/asia/borneo.shtml

http://www.thehealthstation.co.uk/tr...cinations.aspx

I know it's private but it gives you a rough idea of what you're going to have to pay.

To get free ones you have to be due a booster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkymunkey123)
    Just wondering if anyone on here knows of the rough prices for travel vaccinations through the NHS, I know some are free, but have heard that the majority you have to pay for.

I am travelling to Borneo & Nepal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    You're probably best just speaking to your GP (or, more likely, a nurse) and seeing what they will do?

When I went to Tanzania I found that:
    - Some vaccinations (Diptheria+Tetanus+Polio, Hepatitis A+Typhoid) I was due for a booster anyway, so I had these there and then for free.
    - They suggested Meningitis ACWY, bizarrely the vaccine itself was not free on the NHS but the administration of it was. This meant I was given a prescription for the vaccine kit which I had to collect from a pharmacist (they had to order it in), paying the standard NHS prescription charge. Then I had to make an appointment with the nurse for me to give her the kit and her to give me the jab.
    - I wanted the Yellow Fever jab. I went to a "yellow fever centre" NHS GP elsewhere in Birmingham, where I had to pay about £45 (this was a few years ago though). I think it would've been a similar arrangement had I wanted Rabies too, though that (at the time) came to something like £110.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Its a bit of a postcode lottery. Yellow fever you pretty much always have to pay for (the certificate is important as a requirement to enter some countries, although not borneo or Nepal). Others, you may get free, you may not.

If you're doing trekking i'd advise getting rabies shots - i met a guy 3 days trek away from a hospital who got bitten by a wild dog!. We cleaned his wound (which he had not done - aaaahh come on logic !!!) and i presume he got to a hospital ok... but still.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2011
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.