Will the bill increase applications to scottish universities? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Yes but they'll only owe £48k to the government (£3kpa fees + £5kpa loans) - who is going to lend them the other £12k?....that's £2k a year of debt that they'll apparantly be accruing with invisible banks

I don't know any that will offer an overdraft of more than £2k over the entire 6 yr course...and most credit cards wont allow you more than £1000 while you're studying.

So that leaves a mystery £9000 that these medics are borrowing from somewhere?....or are the NUS assuming that medical students are incapable of working during their summer holidays like every other student and so helping towards funding their own living costs.
High street bank loans are very generous towards medical students because they know their money will be securely paid back at the end of it all. I was offered £4K for my first year from Barclays to cover living expenses.
Parental contribution helps for the rest of the money, without which there are medical grants available and the NHS can pay for your last 2 years in tuition fees.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
True but why aren't you claiming the extra funding from your LEA for having a longer academic year. I used to get about £200 for having 2 weeks of my easter holidays taken up by field trips. All you need is a stamped letter explaining your term times and the number of weeks send it to your LEA and you get a rgant to cover that period of time.
What do you mean by extra funding? Sounds interesting...as in doesn't have to be paid back. My aim for the year is not to get into debt at all as I worked hard for the last 2 years at a 30hr/week job.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
What do you mean by extra funding? Sounds interesting...as in doesn't have to be paid back. My aim for the year is not to get into debt at all as I worked hard for the last 2 years at a 30hr/week job.
As far as I remember it's as simple as I said, if your term times involve more than 38 weeks if you provide your LEA with evidence of this they are obliged to provide you with a certain amount of money (a grant not a loan) for this period of time.

This was still in practice in 2001 for students who'd started courses after 1998 (and of course students who'd started before 1998) so I can't imagine it's been removed.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
As far as I remember it's as simple as I said, if your term times involve more than 38 weeks if you provide your LEA with evidence of this they are obliged to provide you with a certain amount of money (a grant not a loan) for this period of time.

This was still in practice in 2001 for students who'd started courses after 1998 (and of course students who'd started before 1998) so I can't imagine it's been removed.
Why thank you. I never look a gift horse, carrying a cheque, in the mouth!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
Why thank you. I never look a gift horse, carrying a cheque, in the mouth!
It's about £70 a week and is called "Extra Weeks Allowance" according to cambridge
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's about £70 a week and is called "Extra Weeks Allowance" according to cambridge
Much appreciated
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by grey faerie)
Maybe it will encourage scottish students to stay in Scotlad, but for an English student to go to a scottish university the fees would be no different to an english uni.
right now they're already encouraged to stay in scotland as if they do they have no pay absolutley no tuition fees.
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by iiikewldude)
right now they're already encouraged to stay in scotland as if they do they have no pay absolutley no tuition fees.
and me thinks the situation will get worse now. If i was in Scotland i wouldn't want to come south and pay and extra 3 grand a year. what would be the point? (unless you were going to oxbridge etc)I think the real question will be how Cardif and all teh otehr welsh uni's applications increase as they can't charge top up fees
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.57%
No (239)
33.43%

Watched Threads